6.2 owner consider 3.0 duramax, need inout

So I have a 2014 6.2 double cab with a tune. I need a crew cab. I’m considering the 3.0. One of my biggest issues is mpg. I care about performance, but I’d be willing to settle for much better mpg. Now I’ve read a lot of the posts about mpg. It doesn’t seem that much better than the 6.2. I get about 25-26highway mpg. I’m not going to sacrifice a 5 second 0-60 for 28-29mpg highway. I get about 26mpg at 65mph, 25mpg at 70mph.

Now the thing is, I don’t even care about the highway mpg. Hands down my biggest concern is city mpg. I live in dense NJ suburbs. There is a stop sign or traffic like every 1/4 mile. I do very little maintained speed, it’s just constant accelerating and stopping, add in a little idling, I’m averaging 10mpg in my 6.2. Combine that with premium fuel, it gets really expensive to drive.

There are plenty if people that average 20mpg with the 6.2. They live in rural areas. Many of them can’t understand the huge difference.

i have a deposit down on a cybertruck specifically because it’s energy usage will shine in my environment. But who knows when that will be.

Wondering if anybody else lives in a similar area with the 3.0. Also that likes drive spiritedly.

My suspicion is that your current highway mileage is because of the tune you have... would that be accurate? Because real world if you get a new stock crew cab 6.2 I do not think you would be getting near those same mpg figures.

So your question may change from comparing your current truck to: New 6.2L crew cab vs new 3.0L crew cab..... or keep your double cab and not get a crew cab. Because if you need a crew cab you've gotta give up your old truck. I know that seems obvious but when comparing the best option you gotta take that off the table. Unless an option is to just keep it.

As far as the City mpg concern you have, my 3.0L definitely gets better than that but in my opinion its not really overly impressive. I don't keep a big eye on it because its very hard for me to determine "true" city mpg. I'm usually around the 17-18mpg level on my DIC but I also tend to sit in my truck and idle or keep it on parked quite a bit. So it's likely higher. I don't know the new crew cab 6.2L mpg figures but I would suspect they're slightly better City than yours but worse Hwy than yours.

I will say my 3.0L is awfully quick, the torque and horsepower kick in IMMEDIATELY at like 1200 rpm. Granted, I don't pay attention to the accelaration/speed or care as much so to a more well informed driver they can really pick apart the differences much better than me. Don't underestimate the speed and quickness of the little 3.0L.... but with that said it's hard to beat the 6.2L V8 especially if you're more of a V8 guy.

There's discussion on here regarding the two engine choices. 3.0L really does excel on the Highway and performs well in the city from a mpg standpoint. But there's lots of talk that a short commute in-the-city type of driving may not be good for this engine and how it's built. That the Gas engine would be better.

Just giving you more to think about and not really helping solve your dilemma LOL. Definitely recommend going to give each a test drive because only you can decide if either meets your wants from an acceleration / speed standpoint. I got the 3.0L for Mileage purposes and am very pleased so far.

1 hour ago, truckguy82 said:

So I have a 2014 6.2 double cab with a tune. I need a crew cab. I’m considering the 3.0. One of my biggest issues is mpg. I care about performance, but I’d be willing to settle for much better mpg. Now I’ve read a lot of the posts about mpg. It doesn’t seem that much better than the 6.2. I get about 25-26highway mpg. I’m not going to sacrifice a 5 second 0-60 for 28-29mpg highway. I get about 26mpg at 65mph, 25mpg at 70mph.

Now the thing is, I don’t even care about the highway mpg. Hands down my biggest concern is city mpg. I live in dense NJ suburbs. There is a stop sign or traffic like every 1/4 mile. I do very little maintained speed, it’s just constant accelerating and stopping, add in a little idling, I’m averaging 10mpg in my 6.2. Combine that with premium fuel, it gets really expensive to drive.

There are plenty if people that average 20mpg with the 6.2. They live in rural areas. Many of them can’t understand the huge difference.

i have a deposit down on a cybertruck specifically because it’s energy usage will shine in my environment. But who knows when that will be.

Wondering if anybody else lives in a similar area with the 3.0. Also that likes drive spiritedly.

I'm gonna say it, but the 2.7 Turbo 4 would suit your city commuting best. 

3.0 Duramax as with many diesels made in the past 10 years will not like stop and go and excessive idling.  Loads up the DPF faster, which means more frequent regens, higher DEF consumption and lower fuel economy.

How much of your commuting is spent in the city side of things vs. highway?  Also, your fuel economy, the 25mpg on the highway is that from your live readout?  And the 10 city?  What is the actual average MPG you get per tank or based on your trip odometer?  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, newdude said:

I'm gonna say it, but the 2.7 Turbo 4 would suit your city commuting best. 

3.0 Duramax as with many diesels made in the past 10 years will not like stop and go and excessive idling.  Loads up the DPF faster, which means more frequent regens, higher DEF consumption and lower fuel economy.

How much of your commuting is spent in the city side of things vs. highway?  Also, your fuel economy, the 25mpg on the highway is that from your live readout?  And the 10 city?  What is the actual average MPG you get per tank or based on your trip odometer?  

95% city.

actual 400 mile economy is 10.2 mpg

yeah its great on gas at a constant speed, but physics gets the best of me when I’m constantly accelerating 6k lbs. That’s why I want the cybertruck, or even a hybrid. Anything that can recapture that energy while slowing down.

Not really interested in the 2.7. I just don’t really like how 4 cyls feel.

So diesel is a no go for stop and go?

Edited by truckguy82

16 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

95% city.

actual 400 mile economy is 10.2 mpg

yeah its great on gas at a constant speed, but physics gets the best of me when I’m constantly accelerating 6k lbs. That’s why I want the cybertruck, or even a hybrid. Anything that can recapture that energy while slowing down.

Not really interested in the 2.7. I just don’t really like how 4 cyls feel.

So diesel is a no go for stop and go?

I would avoid diesel if you are 95% city driving.  It will want to regen for a living and then if its not on long enough to perform them, it will always scream "cleaning filter drive 55mph" on the dash.  Will you do better than 10.2mpg average?  Sure, not by much though.  Maybe 12?  13?  

I totally understand your deposit on a Cybertruck now lol.  

Edited by newdude

My 19 6.2 CC 400mi economy, almost 100% city and lots of idling is 12.5-13 MPG. I do not see anywhere near the highway numbers of your 2014 though. Keep it around 55 and get 21-22 at best. Freeway speeds, 18-19 is more realistic. The Duramax is probably 10mpg better on the highway but for short trips / city driving, I wouldn’t even consider the diesel. 

5 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

My 19 6.2 CC 400mi economy, almost 100% city and lots of idling is 12.5-13 MPG. I do not see anywhere near the highway numbers of your 2014 though. Keep it around 55 and get 21-22 at best. Freeway speeds, 18-19 is more realistic. The Duramax is probably 10mpg better on the highway but for short trips / city driving, I wouldn’t even consider the diesel. 

This is my experience with 6.2L.  Never saw better than 24mpg and that was cruising at 55 trying to hypermile.  Real numbers as Onthereel states.

The 3.0L is around 40% better in MPG and still a quick truck - not 6.2L quick.  This is also an all new engine so the diesel detractors are speaking about something they know nothing about - YET.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

That’s really strange, I have a 6 speed and it always got that mpg on the highway.

if I set my cruise on 55, which I seriously never ever do for any significant distance, I’m getting 28mpg easy. It did this bone stock and after my tune. My only mod is a soft top bed cover.

My mpg is pretty typical for k2xx.

I get your mpg with cruise set on 80mph. That I have done numerous times. Maybe you didn’t break it in yet? There is something wrong with your truck if you’re not modded. I get 18mpg if I’m doing 90

Edited by truckguy82

2 hours ago, newdude said:

I would avoid diesel if you are 95% city driving.  It will want to regen for a living and then if its not on long enough to perform them, it will always scream "cleaning filter drive 55mph" on the dash.  Will you do better than 10.2mpg average?  Sure, not by much though.  Maybe 12?  13?  

I totally understand your deposit on a Cybertruck now lol.  

Yeah I mean I did a basic cost analysis, and a $70k cybertruck will cost me less to own than a new 6.2.

My 6.2 is $400/month in fuel

cybertruck approx $75 in electric for same mileage

my 6.2, tuned, runs a 13.7 @ 102

cybertruck probably like 10.8 @ 120ish

I will gladly drive around in the ugliest vehicle known to man if it runs 10’s and costs less to own.

I don’t care about track times, but if you guys have ever been in a fast truck, it is so much hilarious fun and unnatural feeling.

36 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

That’s really strange, I have a 6 speed and it always got that mpg on the highway.

if I set my cruise on 55, which I seriously never ever do for any significant distance, I’m getting 28mpg easy. It did this bone stock and after my tune. My only mod is a soft top bed cover.

My mpg is pretty typical for k2xx.

I get your mpg with cruise set on 80mph. That I have done numerous times. Maybe you didn’t break it in yet? There is something wrong with your truck if you’re not modded. I get 18mpg if I’m doing 90

Are you talking hand calculated or the DIC numbers?

I’ve got 15k on it, and only run 93 top tier. No lift or aftermarket tires that would negatively affect fuel economy. If anything, my tonneau, catback and intake should improve things but I haven’t noticed a difference one way or the other. 

Almost everyone who has come from a K2 (myself included) is getting worse mileage than their old truck. These trucks are total pigs, look at one parked next to a K2 and you’ll see part of the reason. They are gigantic in comparison. And the weight reduction from the new body structure means nothing when you factor the size, and when you load up a 6.2 10 speed crew cab vs a double cab 6 speed that might or might not be optioned as high. 

Love the truck and the powertrain is sublime...but the fuel economy isn't.

9 minutes ago, OnTheReel said:

Are you talking hand calculated or the DIC numbers?

I’ve got 15k on it, and only run 93 top tier. No lift or aftermarket tires that would negatively affect fuel economy. If anything, my tonneau, catback and intake should improve things but I haven’t noticed a difference one way or the other. 

Almost everyone who has come from a K2 (myself included) is getting worse mileage than their old truck. These trucks are total pigs, look at one parked next to a K2 and you’ll see part of the reason. They are gigantic in comparison. And the weight reduction from the new body structure means nothing when you factor the size, and when you load up a 6.2 10 speed crew cab vs a double cab 6 speed that might or might not be optioned as high. 

Love the truck and the powertrain is sublime...but the fuel economy isn't.

I’m going by DIC, should be pretty accurate with everything stock.

Crew cab only weighs 100lbs more than double cab.

wow, can’t believe it gets worse mpg. It’s the same motor but with more cylinder deactivation.

Think out of the box: move to another state... I lived in Jersey for 20 years... it is the toughest state in the country to pound out a living...

2 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

Yeah I mean I did a basic cost analysis, and a $70k cybertruck will cost me less to own than a new 6.2.

My 6.2 is $400/month in fuel

cybertruck approx $75 in electric for same mileage

my 6.2, tuned, runs a 13.7 @ 102

cybertruck probably like 10.8 @ 120ish

I will gladly drive around in the ugliest vehicle known to man if it runs 10’s and costs less to own.

I don’t care about track times, but if you guys have ever been in a fast truck, it is so much hilarious fun and unnatural feeling.

I got a Model 3 in 2018 when I was commuting 200 miles a day for a year straight. I know you said you’re in Jersey so not sure about electricity options. Here in Texas I changed companies to one that was running a special of “free nights”. So I’d just plug in the Tesla and she’d be fully charged by the time I woke up and left the next morning. Put 40,000 miles on her in 18 months and paid probably less than $10 total electricity during that time (occasional super charger stop). It was the best deal ever and the electric company hated me!

but alas I stopped that commute, sold it and got back in a pick’em up truck. ?

15 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

You say you don't care about track times yet you talk about them quite often.  It's bragging rights.  I get it.  I had a 2018 with the 6.2L.  It was fun.
Living in a dense urban area as you say you do, all you are doing is stop light racing (at best).  For me, that got really old.  10mpg combined with the need for premium fuel and I went back to the 5.3L when I traded.  My mileage is a ton better with the 5.3L  because I am not trying to "hole shot" everyone and the fuel is much cheaper.  

• Like 1