6.2 owner consider 3.0 duramax, need inout

20 minutes ago, TRKLGND said:

You say you don't care about track times yet you talk about them quite often.  It's bragging rights.  I get it.  I had a 2018 with the 6.2L.  It was fun.
Living in a dense urban area as you say you do, all you are doing is stop light racing (at best).  For me, that got really old.  10mpg combined with the need for premium fuel and I went back to the 5.3L when I traded.  My mileage is a ton better with the 5.3L  because I am not trying to "hole shot" everyone and the fuel is much cheaper.  

I talk about them often because its a way to quantify how much fun it is.

Yeah my tune didn’t help at all. I stopped trying to holeshot everyone awhile ago, but I still have a lead foot. I feel you though, I did used to awd launch my truck A LOT, was so much fun.

Electric will be 5x a much fun though. I’ve driven a p100d.

I don’t think people realize how much fun it is to accelerate in big cars with high ground clearance. 

Drive a charger hellcat then drive a trackhawk. The trackhawk is way way more fun to press the go-pedal.

Edited by truckguy82

4 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

I talk about them often because its a way to quantify how much fun it is.

Yeah my tune didn’t help at all. I stopped trying to holeshot everyone awhile ago, but I still have a lead foot. I feel you though, I did used to awd launch my truck A LOT, was so much fun.

Electric will be 5x a much fun though. I’ve driven a p100d.

Didn't tune mine as there is no way to tune the 8 speed trans ?  which is where most of the improvement is found.  
The electric would be fun.  Just get rid of it before it needs a battery replacement.

19 minutes ago, TRKLGND said:

Didn't tune mine as there is no way to tune the 8 speed trans ?  which is where most of the improvement is found.  
The electric would be fun.  Just get rid of it before it needs a battery replacement.

I believe cybertruck will have teslas million mile battery. Waiting for elon to make announcement on their new batteries. Google “tesla battery day”

Meanwhile my lifted 5.3l gets about 13-14mpg combined on a good day. My 7.4l plow truck gets about the same actually (which is crazy considering its 8600+ pounds!)

18+mpg in a truck period is fantastic IMO. You're splitting hairs, get what you want man! I'd love a crew cab!

Both my trucks pull trailers too, my enclosed of course hurts the mpgs more.

Edited by ChevroletTough

I would avoid diesel if you are 95% city driving.  It will want to regen for a living and then if its not on long enough to perform them, it will always scream "cleaning filter drive 55mph" on the dash.  Will you do better than 10.2mpg average?  Sure, not by much though.  Maybe 12?  13?  

I totally understand your deposit on a Cybertruck now lol.  

I average 19 in the city and I floor it every chance I get with my 3.0 and regens depend on fuel usage. I avg 370miles between regens.

no idea where the drive at 55 miles an hour is coming from my 3.0 has never done that and it can perform a full regen at 35 miles an hour in about 10 minutes.

stop and go won't be a problem with the auto start-stop system. in the diesel that keeps the heat in the DPF and keeps the engine nice and warm.
mine can turn off for up to three and a half minutes at a time. which really helps economy when going through drive-throughs.

in fact as long as the stoplight isn't any longer than 5 minutes to truck continues to regen even while stationary if it's longer than 5 minutes it stops and then after 30 seconds of you putting it under load again it will resume the regen where it left off.

this isn't some high compression ratio of diesel of yesteryear it's designed for efficiency and designed for daily driving. that's why they're putting it in the Escalade, the Tahoe, the suburban and the Yukon.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Like 3

My 2 cents. 6.2 is more fun. 3.0l is more efficient and just as capable. I never had a ‘14 6.2 but I will say that my ‘19 6.2 10speed with auto stop was a lot better around town than my ‘16  6.2 8 speed without auto stop. Just got the 3.0l but it seems to be 5-8 mpg better than my ‘19 in any driving scenario. 

I have had 6.2, 5.3, 6.6, 3.0 and currently own 5.3, 3.0, and 6.6 diesel.  I have even had 5.3 and 6.2 supercharged.  I love my 3.0 and it is fun to drive.  The ONLY thing I want is a little more mid range power and I am hoping the Banks derringer will deliver that.  I seem to be about like you when it comes to driving.  I do not miss my last truck that was a supercharged 6.2 with mid travel and 35s when it comes to speed or power but I do miss the suspension every day lol.

• Like 1

Regen will cause issues in that type of driving and decrease the MPG. 
See my earlier comment

"my 3.0 has never done that and it can perform a full regen at 35 miles an hour in about 10 minutes........in fact as long as the stoplight isn't any longer than 5 minutes to truck continues to regen even while stationary if it's longer than 5 minutes it stops and then after 30 seconds of you putting it under load again it will resume the regen where it left off."

This is verified with OBD2 logs.

This isn't an old +350hp tuned Ford 6.0 it's designed for everyday use.

Please try to limit the spread of misinformation.

• Like 2

Thank you for your experience and your opinion. My Experience was with a 2019 L5P in my avatar that had issues with short trips.  First hand experience talking not word of mouth thank you. Issues did not start until over a year of use (I assume when the ceramic accumulated buildup after use). Regen burns more fuel so please research. Still a great truck and best long trip vehicle I have ever owned.  The best of luck and I will keep my opinion to myself. Good day. 

Edited by EXSlider400
  • Like 1

Thank you for your experience and your opinion. My Experience was with a 2019 L5P in my signature that had issues with short trips.  First hand experience talking not word of mouth thank you. Issues did not start until about a year of use (I assume when the ceramic accumulated buildup after use). Regen burns more fuel so please research.  The best of luck and I will keep my opinion to myself. Good day. 
I understand, yes the Regen uses fuel, but you will never notice the actual loss as it occurs once per tank. The LM2 DPF is MUCH smaller so it's much easier to burn off.

I don't believe GM would be dumb enough to push out a diesel in their soccer mom mobiles (Tahoe, Yukon, Suburban, and Escalade) that can't deal will soccer mom trips. I could be wrong but only time will tell. That would be enough to put them in the grave for good.

The smaller DPF requires much less fuel to burn off. The fact it is on the manifold vs down stream helps immensely as well. You don't have to throw the heat nearly as far.

Infact if you work the truck it will actually burn off soot on its own from the egt. (Up hill towing).

Also I personally believe cleaner EGR (post filter on LM2) will allow the DPF to last longer. That just conjecture though based on my own belief.

I feel like LM2 is for the every day person.
2.8 Colorado for the guy who wants economy old small trucks used to get.
L5P for the guy that pulls 15-20k all day long.

Some will say right tool for the job, etc. But hey it is what it is I'm sure GM took care of you.

Just curious did you it get up to temp every trip? The LM2 get up to temp in about 2.5 miles at -10. Were you burning oil?

• 5 weeks later...

The 3.0L was designed for everyday driving and does worlds better around the city than you would think.  I would not hesitate to drive it in NJ (I lived in NJ for 2 years).

Regen is a non issue.  would happen cruising up the 95 or the turnpike for 10 minutes and you probably wouldnt even know it happened.

This isn't the big work horse diesel motor, though it certainly holds it own for towing in its weight class.  

I also have my name on the cybertruck list.  It will replace the 2019 traverse when it gets here in 3 years.  Until then, the LM2 is the best of all worlds IMO(economy, performance, drivability)

• Like 1