Oil Change for new truck what mileage?

I was wondering when you got your truck new when did you do the oil change? Some say wait till 5K-6k.. This is my first new truck in so many years I am wondering what is the best mileage to change the oil? My oil is at 50% now per the truck and I am at 3700 miles, I guess I am just so use to getting my oil change around 3K miles that it feels weird to keep driving to 5-6K! Also isnt the first oil change the most important since its a brand new motor and all? Any feedback is appreciated! :) 

Thank you! 

I was wondering when you got your truck new when did you do the oil change? Some say wait till 5K-6k.. This is my first new truck in so many years I am wondering what is the best mileage to change the oil? My oil is at 50% now per the truck and I am at 3700 miles, I guess I am just so use to getting my oil change around 3K miles that it feels weird to keep driving to 5-6K! Also isnt the first oil change the most important since its a brand new motor and all? Any feedback is appreciated! [emoji4] 

Thank you! 

I'm curious about this one as well.

Historically, when I've built new engines, I use a high zinc content oil for the first few hundred miles (non synthetic) and then ran a non synth for 1500ish miles and swapped to a synthetic and do changes as normal. That's for brand new engines that are first started in my cars.

These engines are broken in at the factory so this shouldn't be as critical. I've seen people say run it out to whenever the oil life indicator says to change. I've seen others say change it at 500.

My plan is simply to swap filters at 1500 miles, cut open the filter and evaluate what I find. Hopefully nothing. I'll probably swap the oil around 3K and then just follow the recommended intervals after that. Mainly because I don't know what oil they put in it and will switch to what I like running on my vehicles (amsoil). If it's a break in oil, 3k is more than sufficient to provide the extended break in needed.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, Sunnyd360 said:

Sounds like a good plan! I am going to get the oil change soon then! 

You are fine at 5000 miles, the oil from the factory has everything you need for a proper break in it already.

Does not hurt to run it like a normal OCI. 

With oil, and mileage between changes, opinions will vary greatly. 

Edited by JimCost2014
  • Like 1

You are fine at 5000 miles, the oil from the factory has everything you need for a proper break in it already.

Does not hurt to run it like a normal OCI. 

With oil, and mileage between changes, opinions will vary greatly. 
Indeed. I send my oil to an oil lab occasionally to keep an eye on everything. With the oil I see, I can go to 12-15k pretty easily. If you're curious about yours, just send a sample in. It's like $20.

First at 1k, next 4k later at 5k, from now on every 5k mobile one synthetic

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

PS. Lots of towing after initial 1k and a fair bit of time in 4x4 off roading.

42 minutes ago, Jonofmac said:

Indeed. I send my oil to an oil lab occasionally to keep an eye on everything. With the oil I see, I can go to 12-15k pretty easily. If you're curious about yours, just send a sample in. It's like $20.

Free oil changes for life on the dealer, so I am right at 5000 each time.

Have been hearing good things about the new synthetic AC Delco oil being used at the dealerships, still not sure who the manufacture is, but am happy with it.

3 hours ago, Sunnyd360 said:

I was wondering when you got your truck new when did you do the oil change? Some say wait till 5K-6k.. This is my first new truck in so many years I am wondering what is the best mileage to change the oil? My oil is at 50% now per the truck and I am at 3700 miles, I guess I am just so use to getting my oil change around 3K miles that it feels weird to keep driving to 5-6K! Also isnt the first oil change the most important since its a brand new motor and all? Any feedback is appreciated! :) 

Thank you! 

IMO- A lot of the worry about oil & oil change intervals is misplaced. There are also a lot of fearmongers in the oil marketing industry, as well as on these boards.
There just aren't very many(if any) oil related failures these days & hasn't been for many years. These days the metallurgy, manufacturing techniques and oil are quite good and result in many modern engines going well north of 500k miles without issue. The vehicles themselves are usually the determining factor in the lifecycle, not the engines.
You can take your factory oil to the recommended OCI without worry. Doing 3k miles OCI's is a waste and by doing that, over your driving lifetime you'll basically pay for the cost of several replacement engines by doing wasteful oil changes. Doing 3k mile OCI's is not cheap insurance- it's expensive insurance! Do the math.
Besides, these GM engines are some of the best engines in history. They're reliable & built to last. 
Just use a good oil designed for your vehicle, change it and the filter when recommended & you'll be fine.

Edited by Nanotech Environmental
  • Like 1

Thank you all for your feedback! I guess it’s personal preference to follow GM standards or our own personal ones :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Personal choice is the way to go.

Our new Honda I did one at 700, and 1400 miles.

Next one will  be 2 k miles probably, 3400 on the clock.

Then 3 K miles from there.

Castrol Edge.

I can afford 3 k mile oil changes and I sleep well. 

Truck 3 k miles with Castrol Magnetec.

:)

Thinking of going to 4 k miles on both.

20 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

Personal choice is the way to go.

Our new Honda I did one at 700, and 1400 miles.

Next one will  be 2 k miles probably, 3400 on the clock.

Then 3 K miles from there.

Castrol Edge.

I can afford 3 k mile oil changes and I sleep well. 

Truck 3 k miles with Castrol Magnetec.

:)

Thinking of going to 4 k miles on both.

Me thinks 4k will be just fine..............