Looking at buying a used Trail Boss (advice needed)

So I am looking at a 2019 Trail boss crew cab. Silver w/black interior. 5.3 w/8 speed. Like new. Has Convenience pkg’s, leather pkg, safety pkg, advanced trailering pkg, and sunroof. Previous owner had a aftermarket spray in bed liner put in. Has 5,900 miles. Dealer asking $44.5k. Haven’t made a offer but they told me they would sell it for $43.5k.

I was looking at the same truck at another dealership, however it is a new 2020 w/5.3 and 10 speed tranny. It has 700 miles on it from a dealer trade drive. It does not have a sunroof or the advanced trailer pkg. I can get it for $45.7k.

Both dealers are offering me the same for my trade in. I exhausted the dealer w/the 2020 as far as they will go. Have not tried to counter the dealer with the used 19.

Which do you guys think is the better deal? I am at my max for what I want to spend so any $ I can save makes me feel better. Is the 10 speed tranny worth the extra money? I cannot tell the difference as both transmissions seem smooth.

What should I consider between the 19 and 20? Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

15 minutes ago, CamaroVetteGuy said:

Is it worth $2500? The 8 speed seemed to shift just fine.

NO, and not because of the 8 speed....... the '20 is one year newer with 5,200 less miles than the '19 which already has one owner on the title. And I'm sure the original owner took a bath and it's on the used lot for a very good reason....not the story the dealer gives you and  certainly not because the owner was pleased with it.

Go new....may as well take a chance on buying your own problems rather than buy someone else  problems.....it will cost you a lot more than the extra $2500. when you drag it back kicking and complaining a few months later.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Thomcat said:

NO, and not because of the 8 speed....... the '20 is one year newer with 5,200 less miles than the '19 which already has one owner on the title. And I'm sure the original owner took a bath and it's on the used lot for a very good reason....not the story the dealer gives you and  certainly not because the owner was pleased with it.

Go new....may as well take a chance on buying your own problems rather than buy someone else  problems.....it will cost you a lot more than the extra $2500. when you drag it back kicking and complaining a few months later.

I talked to the original owner. He’s a service guy at the dealership. He had no issues with it. Per car fax it has only been in for service once for a oil change. 

6 minutes ago, CamaroVetteGuy said:

I talked to the original owner. He’s a service guy at the dealership. He had no issues with it. Per car fax it has only been in for service once for a oil change. 

Did he give any reason for selling it so quick? I've been looking for used '19s and can't help but feeling that there is something wrong with them all.

Edited by NOTJUSTAMINI

2 hours ago, hotrodz37 said:

The 10-speed transmission is worth its weight in gold.

Agreed.  The 10 speed is by far the best auto tranny I have ever had in my vehicles.  I recommend the new one.

Although I didn't have any issues with the 8 speed I had numerous other issues with my 19 TB which I traded in at 21K which I'm sure the dealer  will not tell the next unsuspecting  soul. I would probably go with the new one, the 10 speed is pretty nice.

3 hours ago, Booger T said:

Although I didn't have any issues with the 8 speed I had numerous other issues with my 19 TB which I traded in at 21K which I'm sure the dealer  will not tell the next unsuspecting  soul. I would probably go with the new one, the 10 speed is pretty nice.

What kind of problems did you have? It will have 2 years of the remaining factory warranty and the new Powertrain warranty.

The trail boss seems to hold value the best thus I would not recommend buying a used one. Have you considered a brand new one. With all the incentive they are not much more (actually here around the Minneapolis, MN) you can get one for under 44k LT 5.3 10SPD and as far as leather. get some katskinz the nice ones cost about 2k and some dealers will add them for you and roll them into your loan and in my humble opinion they are better than the oem leather.

Plus like what other said 10spd is probably better. I have no issue with my 8spd but lots of folks prais the 10spd and some had complained about their 8spd

My 2cents

Cheers! Moe.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CamaroVetteGuy said:

If he's a service guy...you can bet that a lot went on that never made it into the records.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CamaroVetteGuy said:

So I am looking at a 2019 Trail boss crew cab. Silver w/black interior. 5.3 w/8 speed. Like new. Has Convenience pkg’s, leather pkg, safety pkg, advanced trailering pkg, and sunroof. Previous owner had a aftermarket spray in bed liner put in. Has 5,900 miles. Dealer asking $44.5k. Haven’t made a offer but they told me they would sell it for $43.5k.

I was looking at the same truck at another dealership, however it is a new 2020 w/5.3 and 10 speed tranny. It has 700 miles on it from a dealer trade drive. It does not have a sunroof or the advanced trailer pkg. I can get it for $45.7k.

Both dealers are offering me the same for my trade in. I exhausted the dealer w/the 2020 as far as they will go. Have not tried to counter the dealer with the used 19.

Which do you guys think is the better deal? I am at my max for what I want to spend so any $ I can save makes me feel better. Is the 10 speed tranny worth the extra money? I cannot tell the difference as both transmissions seem smooth.

What should I consider between the 19 and 20? Thanks for any thoughts or advice.

I would check out Weisner of Conroe tx. You can get a new truck for 10K less and a new elevation for about 8K less. That’s their on line advertising price. A little haggling probably would net better results. 

9 hours ago, CamaroVetteGuy said:

What kind of problems did you have? It will have 2 years of the remaining factory warranty and the new Powertrain warranty.

Numerous brake system failures that were never fixed not that they didn't try, they tried reprogramming it twice, was still doing this when I traded it off. Had a very loud annoying squall when applying light brake, worse in reverse but would do it going forward also. The dealer replaced the rear brake pads, calipers, and rotors and was still doing this when I traded it in. The dealer has had the vehicle sitting on the lot for nearly five months, started out asking 43k for it, is now asking 42k. I don't believe that they will ever sell it for that price.