Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

SS2Sierra

Replacing Battery 2017 6.2 Sierra Denali

Recommended Posts

I've got a dead battery in my 2017 Sierra Denali 6.2L. Died out of nowhere, pretty sure this is the original battery (I just bought the truck last year). Started with a jump yesterday and drove fine, now it won't crank up today. 

 

I went to start taking the battery out and all I have to say is WOW did they over-complicate this... Do I need to disconnect all numbers 1-5 in the photo attached, then push that little bus block or whatever over to the side in order to replace the battery?? Seems excessive. The YouTube video I watched has a 2015 5.3L silverado and they don't have 2, 3, or 4 on theirs... I guess that's a 6.2L thing??

 

 

While I'm at it, what batteries do y'all recommend? Autozone shows Group 94R and 48... I think 94R is correct. Autozone obviously has the Duralast. Any complaints there? O'Reilly's brand is Super Start - Never heard of that one but has good reviews online. 

 

Any help is appreciated

 

Thanks

Sierra Battery.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, SS2Sierra said:

I've got a dead battery in my 2017 Sierra Denali 6.2L. Died out of nowhere, pretty sure this is the original battery (I just bought the truck last year). Started with a jump yesterday and drove fine, now it won't crank up today. 

 

I went to start taking the battery out and all I have to say is WOW did they over-complicate this... Do I need to disconnect all numbers 1-5 in the photo attached, then push that little bus block or whatever over to the side in order to replace the battery?? Seems excessive. The YouTube video I watched has a 2015 5.3L silverado and they don't have 2, 3, or 4 on theirs... I guess that's a 6.2L thing??

 

 

While I'm at it, what batteries do y'all recommend? Autozone shows Group 94R and 48... I think 94R is correct. Autozone obviously has the Duralast. Any complaints there? O'Reilly's brand is Super Start - Never heard of that one but has good reviews online. 

 

Any help is appreciated

 

Thanks

Sierra Battery.jpg

Found this one, should answer your question, truck in video is a 17.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, SS2Sierra said:

I've got a dead battery in my 2017 Sierra Denali 6.2L. Died out of nowhere, pretty sure this is the original battery (I just bought the truck last year). Started with a jump yesterday and drove fine, now it won't crank up today. 

 

I went to start taking the battery out and all I have to say is WOW did they over-complicate this... Do I need to disconnect all numbers 1-5 in the photo attached, then push that little bus block or whatever over to the side in order to replace the battery?? Seems excessive. The YouTube video I watched has a 2015 5.3L silverado and they don't have 2, 3, or 4 on theirs... I guess that's a 6.2L thing??

 

 

While I'm at it, what batteries do y'all recommend? Autozone shows Group 94R and 48... I think 94R is correct. Autozone obviously has the Duralast. Any complaints there? O'Reilly's brand is Super Start - Never heard of that one but has good reviews online. 

 

Any help is appreciated

 

Thanks

 

 

94R is the battery you want.  

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, SS2Sierra said:

Wow of course I overlook the one video that shows a 2017... Thanks very much!

You are very welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
94R is the battery you want.  
 
This^^^

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too bad the video missed the first step............installing a settings keeper. Basically connects a battery to the accessory power outlet to maintain a current on all the systems' memory modules. Otherwise after you remove then reinstall and reconnect the new battery all the modules become stupid and have to relearn driving habits and require a reset of all Settings from the default settings. Might even throw a few codes in the EL related to the battery disconnect.

 

My dealer uses them and I've used them. Ten bucks or so avoids the problem and the ECM and programmable modules never know that power was lost or forget previous settings.

 

DSCN0958.JPG.eb9f878a3b5f7b1c53aca7a1f4817750.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Thomcat said:

Too bad the video missed the first step............installing a settings keeper. Basically connects a battery to the accessory power outlet to maintain a current on all the systems' memory modules. Otherwise after you remove then reinstall and reconnect the new battery all the modules become stupid and have to relearn driving habits and require a reset of all Settings from the default settings. Might even throw a few codes in the EL related to the battery disconnect.

 

My dealer uses them and I've used them. Ten bucks or so avoids the problem and the ECM and programmable modules never know that power was lost or forget previous settings.

 

 

I've heard that if the battery is disconnected for less than an hour or so, all that stuff is preserved. Is that right? 

 

Also, if I get one of these, I plug it in before I disconnect the battery right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably.  As for batteries, I like the Deka/East Penn Manufacturing batteries, some of the best out there in my opinion.  NAPA batteries are made by them now.  Otherwise, I've also had decent luck with the Interstate batteries.  Got 2 for my Duramax at Costco. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a Samsclub energizer (Walmart everstart maxx?) from 2014 in wife’s car. Only a 4 cylinder car but it gets driven almost every day, short trips and still going strong in 2020. 
 

I have a yellow top optima that’s 15 years old in my 79 k10. That one was made in USA. Supposedly their quality went down hill when they moved production to Mexico. Hopefully optima has improved since then. 
 

Still running my stock battery in my 2018. I occasionally throw my noco charger on it when truck sits for more than a week. When it dies, I’ll take a hard look at optima, odyssey, Sams / Walmart.  
 

Is AGM worth the extra cost vs standard lead acid?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I've heard that if the battery is disconnected for less than an hour or so, all that stuff is preserved. Is that right? 
 
Also, if I get one of these, I plug it in before I disconnect the battery right?


Yes, they’re not needed in 2020.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One week ago, my 2017 Sierra Crew Cab (only about 22,000 miles) was fine one day and then dead battery the next. Completely out of nowhere. The dealership replaced it for free under warranty, but I'm not sure which battery they used. All I can see on it is "ACDelco Professional 42 months free replacement."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mileguru said:

One week ago, my 2017 Sierra Crew Cab (only about 22,000 miles) was fine one day and then dead battery the next. Completely out of nowhere. The dealership replaced it for free under warranty, but I'm not sure which battery they used. All I can see on it is "ACDelco Professional 42 months free replacement."

Looks like a decent battery for free:

 

  • High density negative paste, maximizes performance and optimizes auto battery life
  • Enhanced life alloy/Silver Calcium stamped alloy optimizes cycle life and maximizes performance
  • Calcium Lead positive grid, maximizes conductivity and allows for low resistance
  • Robust Envelope Separator with puncture-resistant back, allows for optimum acid circulation and helps prevent shorts. Maximum acid circulation, helps the battery to remain cool, and extend battery life.
  • Vent cap design that resists acid leakage
  • Precision manufactured ribbed case that is 100% pressure tested, helps avoid future leaks and adds strength and rigidity
  • 100% Electrical short tested to minimize early failures
  • Some ACDelco Gold parts may have formerly appeared as ACDelco Professional  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.