Front Bearing Hub on 2WD "clicking" when turning by hand

2001 GMC Yukon XL 2WD -  I have the front end up on the stands right now to replace the brakes.  I removed the entire break assembly, and when I turn the hub by hand there is a "clicking" noise, identical on both sides.  Just like an old style alarm clock, but the frequency of the clicks increases the faster I turn it. There is no play when I try to move the hub, it seems solid otherwise.

Is this sound normal on these trucks?  I expected to hear nothing at all.  Thank you.

Edited by Ramblin Man

I could not see anything conclusive through the sensor hole, but decided to take the plunge and replace with new MOOG bearing hubs.  

With the new ones in hand I was glad I made the decision; they “felt right” - well lubricated, consistent resistance.   A far cry from the bicycle-sounding originals, which might have lasted another 10K or 20K, but were also probably 20 years old with 190K miles on them. Interesting that they had no play, maybe a testament to OEM quality.

Thanks for confirming this was not the expected behavior.