2017 GMC Sierra 1500 2WD 6 speed transmission failure

So I have 70k miles and the transmission lost 1 and 4 gear. Has a 6 speed 

dealer will not fix it for less than $5K. Code said torque converter was bad but now the dealer cannot find any codes. Says pay us $1k to open it up and then repairs past that. 

anyone else with a bad transmission ??

I am at 110k miles on my 14 with the 6 speed. My first fluid and filter change was at 60kish. The fluid looked bad. Ever since then, every 15k miles, I have pulled 1 gallon of fluid out the dipstick and replaced it with a new gallon of fluid. My fluid has looked like new ever since then and my trucks transmission seems to be doing fine. It may go tomorrow but I for one will continue my maintenance schedule.

20161231_135751.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/22/2020 at 12:05 AM, 08 GMC said:

So I have 70k miles and the transmission lost 1 and 4 gear. Has a 6 speed 

dealer will not fix it for less than $5K. Code said torque converter was bad but now the dealer cannot find any codes. Says pay us $1k to open it up and then repairs past that. 

anyone else with a bad transmission ??

take it to a transmission shop who knows the GM tranny.  the TECEM might need to be over-hauled and checked for leaks in the valve system or the thin check films might be torn, you can do this in your garage at home

Edited by flyingfool
  • Like 1

a trans shop isnt neccessary, any competant mechanic can pull the Tecm and slap in an ovehaul kit. if it drives then your clutches are probably fine. i wouldnt spend more than $300/400 on a quick overhaul on the switches and seals in the valvebody just to see if it corrects the issue.  

Edited by flyingfool

Torque converter shudders

Causes the pump vane to shudder and dig into the case

Causes medal to go everywhere

Needs converter, torque converter housing, pump, valve body, techm, filter usually some steels and fibers, normally the 1-2-3-4 and 3-5-R clutches.

I just get the 1-2-3-4 clutch assembly because it’s already built and I’m the laziest.

Now you know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

good info, how glittery is the oil on a bad trans from what you've seen.?

I wonder what the TC lock up data looks like on a good trans vs one that shudders

Edited by flyingfool

TC lockup percentage will stay the same.

If you graph slip speed you can see it but we use the PICOscope and measure vibrations then based on the T vibration determine shudder

However you don’t feel it really so people don’t come in for it. They come in because transmission no worky

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Don't deal with the stealership if you are out of warranty.  There will be great transmission shops out there you just need to do your research and find them. 

A good tranny shop will rebuild for much less than $3000 and will add and use componants that are more bulletproof vs what is in there now.  Flush the tranny every 15,000-30,000 miles depending on what type of driving you are doing. I am a firm believer in tranny flushes IF they are done properly and at the right times.   They will always be more beneficial than a drain and fill.  And they will NOT cause premature failure on a tranny that is not already on its way out.  Now.. if the fluid is already burnt and in bad shape, the tranny damage is done.  take your chances with a flush or do a drain and fill but if the fluid is still in decent shape a flush and good tranny additive will do a great job. 

3 hours ago, Colossus said:

A good tranny shop will rebuild for much less than $3000 and will add and use componants that are more bulletproof vs what is in there now.  Flush the tranny every 15,000-30,000 miles depending on what type of driving you are doing. I am a firm believer in tranny flushes IF they are done properly and at the right times.   They will always be more beneficial than a drain and fill.  And they will NOT cause premature failure on a tranny that is not already on its way out.  Now.. if the fluid is already burnt and in bad shape, the tranny damage is done.  take your chances with a flush or do a drain and fill but if the fluid is still in decent shape a flush and good tranny additive will do a great job. 

not sure if flushing will solve the issue, like tlaw91 says if the OEM TC is poorly built, and causing damage the pump over time ,  your stuff is toast no matter how much you flush it.  just need to get better parts from Circle-D or elsewhere