Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

2018 WT to LTZ Conversion


Recommended Posts

Hey Yall, Im brand new to the forum but not to the brand. Ive been a Chevy guy my whole life and just now reaching out to the community to get some helpful advice. 
I JUST bought a 2018 Silverado WT (5th Silverado Ive owned). I got an extremely good deal on it and was looking to throw some cash since I saved so much on the purchase. 
I wanted to start with the exterior before tackling the interior. It has the black WT trim bumper and grille on it currently. Wondering how much work it takes to swap it for the higher trim bumper packages? Looking for reliable vendors, parts, etc. 
Besides replacing the wheels, tires, and mirrors, I believe that is all I will need to make the exterior look like the LTZ package (High Country Maybe?), but any more tips and hints will be great.

Are there any threads on swapping the interior? Bucket seat conversion, Entertainment console, Center console, Door panels, audio system, the whole 9 yards.
Also looking for threads on leveling kits with tire size and what not. So if there are any helpful threads please let me know. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Going to the 8inch screen and Denali cluster alone is north of 2 grand maybe almost 3. It’s usually much cheaper to get it from factory the way you want it. There is also threads on here for everything you listed. Type it into google or the search and they will pop up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seats, door panels will have different wiring. That wiring supports seat memory whereas yours won’t. So IF you want to use the panels, you’ll want to swap all electronics over - specifically, the harnesses. For the buttons, the passenger window button will also be different.

For mirrors, same thing - you cannot use the door harnesses because of the memory vs non-memory differences.

For seats - same thing. The new driver seat will have a memory module. I build seat memory bypass harness for that. Here are some links to various harnesses that might needed for seat swap.


https://harnessdr.com/product-category/seat-upgrade/

Check out each link for the descriptions and needs.

For the jump seat -> full center console, I have solutions for that as well. Depends on year of truck and current radio system.

HarnessDR.com






Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Jglew82 said:

[mention]Frankielozano214 [/mention] has done an LT to LTZ/Denali.

? I had Phil do my installation he’s the man not me, gotta give it to Phil he knows his sh!+ 

 

LTZ/Denali ? yeah I needa redo my headrest ASAP ? 

Edited by Frankielozano214
Link to comment
Share on other sites

[emoji23] I had Phil do my installation he’s the man not me, gotta give it to Phil he knows his sh!+ 
 
LTZ/Denali [emoji38] yeah I needa redo my headrest ASAP [emoji23] 

Oh yeah, my mistake. You’re the one running the “chop shop.” [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, pgamboa said:

Seats, door panels will have different wiring. That wiring supports seat memory whereas yours won’t. So IF you want to use the panels, you’ll want to swap all electronics over - specifically, the harnesses. For the buttons, the passenger window button will also be different.

For mirrors, same thing - you cannot use the door harnesses because of the memory vs non-memory differences.

For seats - same thing. The new driver seat will have a memory module. I build seat memory bypass harness for that. Here are some links to various harnesses that might needed for seat swap.


https://harnessdr.com/product-category/seat-upgrade/

Check out each link for the descriptions and needs.

For the jump seat -> full center console, I have solutions for that as well. Depends on year of truck and current radio system.

HarnessDR.com
 

 

 

 

 




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Phil, Thank you. 
All this information really helps!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Frankielozano214 said:

If u mean I buy parts and sell them to y’all, u call it want u what -_- 

I'm just messing with you because of the dudes in the other forum, brother. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, tmo said:

Going to the 8inch screen and Denali cluster alone is north of 2 grand maybe almost 3. It’s usually much cheaper to get it from factory the way you want it. There is also threads on here for everything you listed. Type it into google or the search and they will pop up.

I had an idea it was going to be this expensive, but the deal I got on this truck was incredible. Bought it from an Oil & Gas company that needed to sell off some of its assets. Even if I threw 5 to 7 grand into it, it would still be more expensive to buy a used LTZ.  And I get a project to keep me busy. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, CBesh157 said:

I had an idea it was going to be this expensive, but the deal I got on this truck was incredible. Bought it from an Oil & Gas company that needed to sell off some of its assets. Even if I threw 5 to 7 grand into it, it would still be more expensive to buy a used LTZ.  And I get a project to keep me busy. 

Another thing to consider.  Some configurations of the WT model will determine how easy/hard the radio upgrade will be.  There are IOB, IO3, IO4, IO5, IO6 Radio configs.  The 8" screen that you see on the LT and higher trucks are IO5 or IO6 (IO5 is non-nav, while IO6 is nav).  IO3 and IO4 are the smaller screen.  IOB is the 7" screen.  IO3/IOB have a large more complicated upgrade path while IO4 has simpler one.  You'll still need new hardware and programming, so when I say "simpler", I really mean doable ? 

 

I would do these upgrades in phases so that you don't have the truck completely torn apart trying to do it all one time.  Troubleshooting issues becomes more complex too when you have multiple layers of variability. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, pgamboa said:

Another thing to consider.  Some configurations of the WT model will determine how easy/hard the radio upgrade will be.  There are IOB, IO3, IO4, IO5, IO6 Radio configs.  The 8" screen that you see on the LT and higher trucks are IO5 or IO6 (IO5 is non-nav, while IO6 is nav).  IO3 and IO4 are the smaller screen.  IOB is the 7" screen.  IO3/IOB have a large more complicated upgrade path while IO4 has simpler one.  You'll still need new hardware and programming, so when I say "simpler", I really mean doable ? 

 

I would do these upgrades in phases so that you don't have the truck completely torn apart trying to do it all one time.  Troubleshooting issues becomes more complex too when you have multiple layers of variability. 

Well Shoot. It has the 7inch screen in it right now. 
What would be a good starting point for the Interior? Im assuming that the exterior will be easier to knock out, so I plan on doing a few things there first. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I too got a "good deal" on a work truck and love projects. I have upgraded to an aftermarket radio with GPS and am satisfied with the hundreds (several) that I saved. Now I need to upgrade the DIC to the enhanced display. I know I will need to swap the steering wheel and do a little wiring. I had the IO3 radio and haven't looked but don't think I have An HMI module. Since a lot of stuff has to work together for all of this to work can anyone who has done this mod tell me what I need in addition to the cluster and the steering wheel? I also have the manual shift transfer case. Will it work with the enhanced cluster?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Similar Content

    • By Sir_Griglesworth
      Hello everyone. I've recently purchased a 2020 Silverado 1500 from a dealership. I found out late in the sale that the truck was used as the dealerships "loaner" which didn't really bother me even though I know people beat up those vehicles. Anyway, I'm pretty in-tune to vehicle sounds and I had a couple of questions regarding noises I'm hearing from my vehicle. 
       
      The first is a clunking noise and a physical jolt when I shift from Drive to Reverse. I have my foot on the brake and am on a flat surface. I notice it a lot after I've been driving for a while and go to back into my garage. I took the truck back to the dealership and they chalked it up to bad U-joints. They slapped 2 fresh sets on, but I've still go the issue. Any ideas what it may be? I don't feel like anything is going to fail, but I also don't like the sound and don't think it should be that way. I have another service appointment next week and I'd like to help them out with ideas considering they don't really seem to care.
       
      The second is a ticking noise coming from the undercarriage. I' got under the truck today and believe it's coming from the rear portion of the engine, but I'm not for certain as I've never been beneath the truck while it's been on a rack. The noise cannot be heard when standing at the front with the hood up, but I can hear it very noticeably when standing at the driver's door. I do not hear it as the engine is heating up, but that could be because every other component under the hood is loud as h*ll while the truck is heating up. Once the engine is approaching operating temp, it's very noticeable. As you can hear from the short video, it's every .5 to 1 second or so and is always present during idling. Again, may not be a big issue, but I hate hearing things on my vehicles that I can't attribute to something else.
       
      Thanks for reading my ramblings. I can try to post longer videos if anyone needs. Thanks in advance!
      IMG_8898_Trim_Trim (2).mp4 IMG_8910_Trim (2).mp4
    • By NicNakPatiWak
      Hey Everybody. I’m about to have my 2014 Silverado AFM deleted with stage 3 cam upgrade, longtube headers, l86 intake, l86 TB, 3200 stall, custom tune. My question- is their other things I must do to go with these upgrades? Truck is 4x4 but will soon be lowered. Driveshaft? New Trans cooler? Bigger oil pump? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance 
    • By José Daniel Gonzalez
      I have a 2017 Chevy Silverado and I have been having trouble with the entire radio and screen .. I recently replace a bad HMI module that I got from infotainment.com and it solved the issue. Now the screen is back to black and the display where the gauges are says “audio off” any idea why ?? Anyone have this issue I tried everything. Maybe I need a new ACM module now? HELP ! 
    • By customboss
      Opening this up to disabled and other Vets. We need a place to share. Isolation is death and not a good death. 
      How are my Brother and Sisters making it work? I’m struggling tonight. I’ve done a lot and overcome much. As I age the pain is overwhelming. 62 YO  90% disabled  VA combat vet of USNavy and USArmy.   Never asked for help and for 42 years have helped others.  My truck, the science of automotive technology helps me maintain my sanity. Any others here that feel the drain on the soul and body? My fingers and formally strac functions don’t function right anymore.  I love the constitutional basis of USA but wonder have many forgotten the rule of law? UCMJ? Caring about others before self?  
    • By Texweld
      U0100 Lost communication with ECM
      U0073 CAN Bus Communication 
      P2544 Transmission Torque Request Signal Message Counter Incorrect
      P0700 Transmission Control Module Requested MIL Illumination
      P1682 Ignition 1 Switch Circuit 2 

      Good Morning Yall, 

      Long time lurker, first time poster as a member, and really appreciate this forum.
      Recently the past year I have had some symptoms that didn’t affect the drivability of my 2014 Silverado z71 4x4 5.3, but were very present on a random basis, especially during rain.
      Service Stabilitrak, Service Trailer Brake(nothing being towed) popping up the screen, sometimes binging back to back for extended amounts of time near to 30 minutes frequently. 

      Today the truck would not start, and presented these codes above under a check engine light. The truck started after having the battery disconnected for 15 minutes and has started since so far the previous 12 hours. Also while driving and the typical service notifications, one headlight being out, the truck engages the transmission at a slow roll/acceleration and a very very rough/lurching, almost feels like being rear-ended engagement, it would not engage power steering, and also presented a warning of reduced engine power. Some of these symptoms of course seem to be directly related to the codes, but seem to have progressed as time has gone on. 

      One issue noticed was a tail light having a small crack, and a sliver of water pooled inside of it. I am unsure if that may be related to the issues present, but I have ordered new lamps. 
      I have also previously installed a new ground cable from the battery to the block, and also verified the ground on the driver-side front beneath the dash/tweeter.  The battery also tested good, so did all of the fuses on the battery side and the box side with the voltmeter. I have not checked the starter or alternator, but they are less than a year old. 
       
      Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

      Sincerely, Ben
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

    241.4k
    Total Topics
    1.4m
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

    305,149
    Total Members
    8,960
    Most Online
    Gabriel Walch
    Newest Member
    Gabriel Walch
    Joined



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.