In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Buyback/Replacement

So long story short, I'm past the point where I qualify for Georgia's Lemon Law (30 or more days out of service cumulative) and I'm debating on whether to ask for a buyback and get out of this truck totally or ask for a replacement. Are the 20's better than the 19's? I have the 19 LT with 5.3 and 8 speed. I loved the truck at first but with the leaking window and everything, I kind of started to hate it. It may also be because of the dealership. Thoughts?

48 minutes ago, Brandon Adams said:

So long story short, I'm past the point where I qualify for Georgia's Lemon Law (30 or more days out of service cumulative) and I'm debating on whether to ask for a buyback and get out of this truck totally or ask for a replacement. Are the 20's better than the 19's? I have the 19 LT with 5.3 and 8 speed. I loved the truck at first but with the leaking window and everything, I kind of started to hate it. It may also be because of the dealership. Thoughts?

Is the rear window still leaking, or has it been fixed?

A buy back is going to have to be something they simply can not fix, or your truck has been in for repairs for x amount of days.

Trade allowance pretty much works the same way.

Edited by JimCost2014

.02  After it meets the lemon law requirements and the procedure begins..........most lemon laws require that after formal notification, the manufacturer be given one final opportunity to repair the defect which could be at the dealer or a different facility.

What kind of dealer keeps a vehicle for a month trying to repair a leak? I've had plenty of Avalanche leakers sealed with Silao snot that required resealing of the windshields and sunroofs. Here's how it works....call for appointment....dealer verifies leak and either fixes it or has to order new moldings and a tentative new appointment is made for the next week for the repair........if parts not received by then another tentative appointment is made when the parts will arrive and I continued to use the vehicle.......and the repair is made at the second appointment day. Complete replacement or resealing can't take more than one calendar day. Even with three or four attempts it can't take 30 cumulative days for the process......unless the vehicle is left at the dealership and most of the time is static storage. Brings up another question....Why use a POS loaner and leave a perfectly functioning vehicle at a dealer whose only problem is a leak? Only time I can see leaving it there is for a no drive condition or safety hazard where the replacement component is on nationwide backorder.... They'll leave it out in the lot open to the elements anyway.

8 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

Is the rear window still leaking, or has it been fixed?

A buy back is going to have to be something they simply can not fix, or your truck has been in for repairs for x amount of days.

Trade allowance pretty much works the same way.

My truck is at the dealership now having the back glass replaced. Somehow in replacing the back window, they messed up my back seat. Georgia law requires the vehicle be out of service for 30 or more days cumulative. It's been out of service for over 45 days total since I bought it in June.

27 minutes ago, Brandon Adams said:

My truck is at the dealership now having the back glass replaced. Somehow in replacing the back window, they messed up my back seat. Georgia law requires the vehicle be out of service for 30 or more days cumulative. It's been out of service for over 45 days total since I bought it in June.

Open a claim with GM for a buy back, it has been there long enough to get the ball rolling.

Basically, if you have a good relationship with the service manager, he/she can help you with this. 

9 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

Open a claim with GM for a buy back, it has been there long enough to get the ball rolling.

Basically, if you have a good relationship with the service manager, he/she can help you with this. 

The service manager is a giant douche. They damaged a panel when they replaced my headliner and he told me it "wasn't damaged enough." Then GM told me to basically eat a bag of d*cks because the dealership does their own thing.

Sounds like a bad dealer and not a lemon.  They damaged the seat while fixing the leak, it is their responsibility.  

Have you started a case and tried to get their district manager involved for that dealer?      

Edited by newdude

2 hours ago, newdude said:

Sounds like a bad dealer and not a lemon.  They damaged the seat while fixing the leak, it is their responsibility.  

Have you started a case and tried to get their district manager involved for that dealer?      

I called GM when they damaged the panels and they said they called the DM but they weren't going to do anything about it. 

On 5/28/2020 at 4:52 PM, Cpl_Punishment said:

If the rear window leak is your only problem, you could try getting into a 2020 with a fixed rear window and start going to a different dealer. 

Way off topic, how are you liking your Tundra?

On 5/29/2020 at 10:54 PM, JimCost2014 said:

Way off topic, how are you liking your Tundra?

I'm really liking it so far. Literally my only complaint to date is it's not compatible with my iPod so I have to put my music on a few thumb drives. 

Been using it the last few weeks to haul dirt and other supplies for our garden and got our first camping trip in this weekend. Tons of space for all our gear and it handled the gravel roads well so all around it's proving much better for camping than my Kia Forte did. 

So far all I've added is a canopy so our gear can be dry and secure while camping in bear country. Next will be a rear sway bar before we get a travel trailer and some good snow tires before next winter. Maybe running boards once our daughter is old enough to get in and out herself if it turns out to be too high for her.