GM Performance Drop-in Air Filter unboxing GM part# 84520923

Part # from GM site 84520923. Could not find answers to the questions about this Performance part from GM. So I am paying back to this forum with an unboxing of the filter to answer some of the questions.

1. Is it a disposable filter?
  2. How often do you change it?
  3. Do you need to tune the truck to take advantage of this filter?

Still to be answered in use:

1. Are there any improvement (subjectively by feel and by mileage)?
  2. Will it improve anything including idle smoothness?
  3. Slightest change to the sound of the intake?

10X more expensive than stock filter is being put to test. I get that nobody in the right frame of mind would spend 10x on the drop-in filter but I did use my GM points. Let's see...

Paper manual that came with GM Performance Air Filter

Edited by dvzzz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

For those of you who don't want to spend 7 minutes for the answer to three questions:

• Is it a disposable filter?  Yes.
  • How often do you change it?  up to 30000 miles, dusty conditions, 15000 miles
  • Do you need to tune the truck to take advantage of this filter? Video doesn't really answer this, but probably.
  • Thanks 2

I spoke to a dealer about the third question "Do you need to tune the truck for this filter?" Answer is definite "No". Up to 10% change is something that ECM is capable of learning and adjusting without tuning. When you install GM OEM Performance full CAI then "Yes" GM installs a special tune as airflow increase is up to 15%.

Edited by dvzzz
  • Thanks 1

Apparently it filters less than stock paper filter which leads to increased airflow. I believe this is how most aftermarket CAI systems work, the filter doesn't filter out contaminants as well as stock restrictive filter but the tradeoff is better airflow.

More info

Cost: $100 + shipping
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-performance-air-filter-84520923

Upgrade the performance of your vehicle with this Performance Replacement Air Filter. Rigorously tested for durability, long-term efficiency, and seamless integration, the filter has been tested to reduce airflow restriction by up to 10% at 330-g/s, providing increased performance both on and off road. Built with a performance appearance, this drop-in replacement filter contains 5 less filter pleats, which allows for an increase in airflow performance, and boasts a filter efficiency of 99.5% when tested to ISO5011. This filter requires no additional calibration and does not void the New Vehicle Limited Warranty..

1 hour ago, 2018GMC said:

Interestingly, I saw that AC Delco stock filter was at 99.4% efficiency, this one is 99.5% so it actually filters more than stock drop-in filter but with 10% more airflow, so is this one too good to be true? 

Apparently it filters less than stock paper filter which leads to increased airflow. I believe this is how most aftermarket CAI systems work, the filter doesn't filter out contaminants as well as stock restrictive filter but the tradeoff is better airflow.

More info

Cost: $100 + shipping
https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-performance-air-filter-84520923

Upgrade the performance of your vehicle with this Performance Replacement Air Filter. Rigorously tested for durability, long-term efficiency, and seamless integration, the filter has been tested to reduce airflow restriction by up to 10% at 330-g/s, providing increased performance both on and off road. Built with a performance appearance, this drop-in replacement filter contains 5 less filter pleats, which allows for an increase in airflow performance, and boasts a filter efficiency of 99.5% when tested to ISO5011. This filter requires no additional calibration and does not void the New Vehicle Limited Warranty..

If these aftermarket or the GM performance one does actually filter less, is it that big a deal? Most of us drive on paved roads in little to no dust areas. If one does live in a dusty environment then the options have to be weighed whether or not to deviate from the stock filter. Just my .02

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dvzzz said:

I spoke to a dealer about the third question "Do you need to tune the truck for this filter?" Answer is definite "No". Up to 10% change is something that ECM is capable of learning and adjusting without tuning. When you install GM OEM Performance full CAI then "Yes" GM installs a special tune as airflow increase is up to 15%.

The 2014-2018 and 2019 old body truck intake does not require a factory flash.  Can confirm from my install below and from the instructions manual: 

The new body 2019+up truck GM intakes do have a flash that has to be performed.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

This is very good to know. Great install step-by-step by the way. Very interested your findings after you drive with the GM CAI. The dealer has shown me a special printout coupon inside the box of the part # 84794978 that states a special labor code to pay for re-programming. He said that it is needed for all Tahoes including 2020. Dealers are really not the good source of knowledge these days, most of the time they are out there to get you. He did not share the manual with me, would be kind to post the install manual?

1 hour ago, newdude said:

The 2014-2018 and 2019 old body truck intake does not require a factory flash.  Can confirm from my install below and from the instructions manual: 

The new body 2019+up truck GM intakes do have a flash that has to be performed.  

18 minutes ago, dvzzz said:

This is very good to know. Great install step-by-step by the way. Very interested your findings after you drive with the GM CAI. The dealer has shown me a special printout coupon inside the box of the part # 84794978 that states a special labor code to pay for re-programming. He said that it is needed for all Tahoes including 2020. Dealers are really not the good source of knowledge these days, most of the time they are out there to get you. He did not share the manual with me, would be kind to post the install manual?

I have no way of linking it unfortunately.  Dealer would be the source to get it as its in GM Service Information.  

Did you happen to get a good eye on that "coupon"?  Color of it or anything?  I'm reading the Tahoe instructions, same document # as the Silverado, no programming mentioned at all.  

He called it VCI, not sure what it stands for but he says that even if I install the kit myself, reprogramming of the ECU is included and it is free because the box has that VCI code. He said it is one of the reasons why buying from a dealer is better as sometimes online sellers do not include VCI. However, I reached out to GMPartsDirect.com and they did say that VCI code is included. 

484456632_ScreenShot2020-05-29at14_46_22.png.279ac743618c2280785bfa2779803db6.png

3 minutes ago, newdude said:

I have no way of linking it unfortunately.  Dealer would be the source to get it as its in GM Service Information.  

Did you happen to get a good eye on that "coupon"?  Color of it or anything?  I'm reading the Tahoe instructions, same document # as the Silverado, no programming mentioned at all.  

He called it VCI, not sure what it stands for but he says that even if I install the kit myself, reprogramming of the ECU is included and it is free because the box has that VCI code. He said it is one of the reasons why buying from a dealer is better as sometimes online sellers do not include VCI. However, I reached out to GMPartsDirect.com and they did say that VCI code is included. 

484456632_ScreenShot2020-05-29at14_46_22.png.279ac743618c2280785bfa2779803db6.png

Yep. Your buying from a dealer. It’s Flow Chevrolet, Winston-Salem, NC. They have good prices on parts, but shipping is high. Might be able to get it cheaper at local dealer or if your close to them a pickup.

12 minutes ago, dvzzz said:

Just got off the phone with GM PARTECH and the accessories group, no programming on the K2 intakes.  

Another misinformation is cleared thanks to @newdude We are concluding that neither stock CAI nor this GM Performance drop-in Performance Air Filter require the re-tuning.

Now, do they do anything ? ?

Just now, newdude said:

Just got off the phone with GM PARTECH and the accessories group, no programming on the K2 intakes.  

54 minutes ago, dvzzz said:

Another misinformation is cleared thanks to @newdude We are concluding that neither stock CAI nor this GM Performance drop-in Performance Air Filter require the re-tuning.

Now, do they do anything ? ?

Just to clarify, the K2 intake so 2014-2018 and 2019 old body pickup and 2015-2020 Tahoe/Suburban with 5.3.

T1 new body intakes have programming.  

Just really want to stress that out before things get confusing.   

My subjective (purely by feel) experience with this GM Performance drop-in after 20 miles is the following:

1) Absolutely no tangible improvement in throttle, does not feel any different than stock.

2) Idle with this drop-in got "rougher", with stock air filter it was butter smooth, perhaps needs time to re-learn the new air flow. 

3) Sound has not changed at all

Stock filter that came on my truck is Air Filter ACDelco A3218C and it is a very good filter. My previous Yukon came with  A1618C

What is important to note that GM Performance filter part #84520923 and OEM stock #2334985 are manufactured in Canada, lettering print and construction speak to to the fact that both filters are made at the same factory. While part #25332443 is made in USA but quality of the 2334985 seems better. 

My initial conclusion: it is not worth the $125. If you really need improvements, I suspect full GM OEM Performance CAI is needed but nobody yet put GM's Performance CAI on dyno. 

Edited by dvzzz
  • Like 1