In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

I have been reading about thieves disarming onstar and swapping out ecms and taking off with the 2019/2020 Silverado. Has anyone come up with a way to slow them down?

Kill switch, ecm strap/lock, hood pin switch with train horn, whatever. I'm guessing the factory alarm is useless to, not sure. This is concerning to have all this technology and they can get your truck in 3 minutes. I did also read where the 2020 Silverado may have address some of it but there was nothing specific about it.

Just in general, I would expect anything factory to get workarounds/hacks figured out so the vehicle can be stolen, just because there are so many of them out there that the effort to figure it out is worthwhile.  Same with the big name brand alarm systems.

I would suggest fabbing up a metal strap over the ecm so it can't be trivially removed.

Is there a shock sensor add on for factory alarms? My brother-in laws truck was stolen at an HEB and the surveillance cameras showed that the first thing they did was to rap on the back of the truck when approaching it

Don’t make it easy by leaving your key fob in it, but if they want it bad enough they will get it.

Just make sure you have insurance to cover it!

Personally, if they steal it, I probably don’t want it back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1