Retrospective - Shoud have kept my K2

And these things are supposed to crawl over rocks???

Enjoyed my T1 for the past ten months and it never leaked until yesterday, last mods were the GM lighted bowtie and GM brush bar.......looked great so naturally it was time for my kick in the a$$.

Torrential rainstorm and looked to the back window.......no leaks.......even the wipers couldn't keep up and didn't see the speed bump with a portion of the roadway washed away and bottomed out smashing the bottom of the passenger side running board onto the pavement......a real good slam. Though not too much of it but when I got home the rear seats had water on top, worse when I got out the drivers door creaked and I assumed it need lubricant.....still creaked until I noticed that the front edge of the door was rubbing against the fender, spacing in the rear edges were fine but the front edge of the door was warped and mounting twisted. Seems the impact had warped the aluminum shell of the cab on the opposite side of the impact, top of the roof would pop with the weight of my pinky. Even if the hinges were adjustable, which they are not, and with the rear window broken since the front fender had not moved so it looked like baby finally bit me in the a$$.

What's the sense of buying a truck with an eggshell structure that weighs less than a typical 60's sedan? Certainly not for a comfortable ride and not for white glove hauling with SUVs like the 18+Traverse capable of carrying 4'x8' sheets of plywood and sheet rock, or an 86" flat screen TV completely., trucks still hold their advantage for hauling bulk, mulch, rocks and maure.Absent passengers and cargo, using a 3.6l 310 hp V6 which can turn a 0-60 in a little over 6 sec engine similar to the time of a 5.3l with the exception that it gets 29 mpg hwy almost double the gas guzzling V8. No more top end Traverses available because all the geniuses are sucking them up taking out 8 year loans ....so had to go for a Highlander Platinum and put an end to my cheapo truck days and not looking back.

Over and out.

2 hours ago, Thomcat said:

And these things are supposed to crawl over rocks???

Enjoyed my T1 for the past ten months and it never leaked until yesterday, last mods were the GM lighted bowtie and GM brush bar.......looked great so naturally it was time for my kick in the a$$.

Torrential rainstorm and looked to the back window.......no leaks.......even the wipers couldn't keep up and didn't see the speed bump with a portion of the roadway washed away and bottomed out smashing the bottom of the passenger side running board onto the pavement......a real good slam. Though not too much of it but when I got home the rear seats had water on top, worse when I got out the drivers door creaked and I assumed it need lubricant.....still creaked until I noticed that the front edge of the door was rubbing against the fender, spacing in the rear edges were fine but the front edge of the door was warped and mounting twisted. Seems the impact had warped the aluminum shell of the cab on the opposite side of the impact, top of the roof would pop with the weight of my pinky. Even if the hinges were adjustable, which they are not, and with the rear window broken since the front fender had not moved so it looked like baby finally bit me in the a$$.

What's the sense of buying a truck with an eggshell structure that weighs less than a typical 60's sedan? Certainly not for a comfortable ride and not for white glove hauling with SUVs like the 18+Traverse capable of carrying 4'x8' sheets of plywood and sheet rock, or an 86" flat screen TV completely., trucks still hold their advantage for hauling bulk, mulch, rocks and maure.Absent passengers and cargo, using a 3.6l 310 hp V6 which can turn a 0-60 in a little over 6 sec engine similar to the time of a 5.3l with the exception that it gets 29 mpg hwy almost double the gas guzzling V8. No more top end Traverses available because all the geniuses are sucking them up taking out 8 year loans ....so had to go for a Highlander Platinum and put an end to my cheapo truck days and not looking back.

Over and out.

Did you get the new body style Highlander? 

Had a 2008 Highlander Sport AWD, V-6 auto, was a great rig, ending up trading it in on a 2014 4-Runner Limited, another great little SUV.

Reason we have the Tahoe now, is our pack of dogs outgrew the mid size SUV's, wife did not like the Sequoia one bit.

Cab is steel, doors and anything else on a hinge is aluminum. But I agree that they took a lot of meat out of the cab structure, maybe too much. Always speculated that as the root cause of the rear window leaks. Don’t think this particular mishap proves that point though. 

• Like 1

You may think about getting your insurance involved. Also contact your state highway administration and see if they are aware of whatever hole you ran over since it seems like if it did that to your truck it could absolutely destroy a smaller car. A nightmare either way, sorry to hear about this

How can this possibly be the trucks fault? You crashed it. Stuff happens. Call your insurance company and get things going to repair or replace the truck. 

from what you described I can’t imagine what truck would have survived that hit that slammed the underside and bent the cab. 

• Like 7

sucks to hear and just glad your ok . All of us want to be happy , bottom line so do what works best for you . 

In a side note that Traverse with the 2.7T would be a nice combo. Either way the 3.6 is more then adequate 

It was raining so hard I couldn't see. +  I continued driving anyway. +  I jacked my truck up. =  GM trucks have bad build quality and the fuel mileage sucks.  ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2