In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Ranger522vx

Tonneau Cover Security Questions

I’m in the market to buy a tonneau cover.  I like the style of the bakflip mx4 and revolver x4.  The most important attributes for me is security and water resistance.  I have seen videos of possible entry made from devices like coat hangers slid under the covers and pulling the cable to unlock them.  Has anyone ever actually had this happen?  

I see other models have unlock designs that seem to be a little more secure.  Can anyone give me guidance before I drop $1,000?

I've had a soft cover for years and never had any issues. I figure people are less likely to break into something they can't see than something they can.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've had the Bakflip F1 in the past and currently have the Undercover UltraFlex. Knock on wood, never had any issues with security.  If I get broken into now, i'm blaming it on you. ?

No real complaints on the bakflip, I just went with the Undercover as the bottom side is carpeted to match the BedRug and I like the smoother finish on the topside better than the textured finish on the bakflip.  We will see how it hold up with time.  The bakflip did start to fade after a few years, but nothing terrible.  I'd hit it w/ some Adams SVRT or something similar periodically.  As far as water entry, the 4 corners are going to be the only real concerns as long as you get the seals on the front and rear in good clean contact with the bed/tailgate.  A few well placed pieces of weather stripping in the corners can help with that as well.

I do wish I would have given the Revolvr X4 a closer look when I was searching.  I was back and forth between tri-fold and retractable and decided to stick with tri-fold.  The revolver could have been a good balance in between vision, security, and bed accessibility.

Most of the time, a criminal will go for the easiest way out. A Bakflip does prevent a thief somewhat. I have owned several Bakflip covers. The Mx4 I have now leaks more than any of them. I complained to the people that installed it and they told me that it was due to the GMC super functional tailgate. 

I’ve always just had chest type tool boxes but with the short bed they just take up too much room.  I’ve never had my tool boxes broken into but I’m thinking it wouldn’t take much more effort to get into those than a tonneau cover.  I’ve always wanted a cover but there are so many options and for the prices they charge for them I’ve just never pulled the trigger on one.  I still don’t know which one would be best but I just hear more about the bakflip brand than most others so I lean towards it.  Is anything superior to a mx4 that has the same fold back style?

Edited by Ranger522vx

Truck Hero acquired BAK Industries some time back and now own extang, BAK, Undercover, and I think a couple others.  The tri-folds are very VERY similar in function and design between them.  Probably made in the same factory.  I don't think i could definitively tell you one is better than the other as they are all very popular with similar reviews

I didn't really look at different covers. I have always had Extang cover and the Hard fold 2.0 being the best for me so far. Everything stays dry and it secure. I have had a soft cover cut once just so happened that time I had nothing in the truck for them to steal. Find what you like because they are near impossible to sell used. The Extang cover I have on my 2020 is the same cover I had on my 2017 truck, they say they won't fit but they do. Get what you like best

I have the newish extang xceed, it has a newer locking mechanism that supposedly a coat hanger won't work on, and my thoughts are that is accurate. https://extang.com/xceed The xceed also flips all the way up, like the ones you are looking at.

My truck is garaged, and hasn't been driven in a hard rain yet, but there was some seepage during a car wash, but that's different than rain, so I'm not sure.

They've had a decent price drop, though I got mine through Lukas [email protected] for $765 two months ago before the price drop, they might be cheaper now.

Edited by Coastie

Undercover ultraflex here.  Make sure your corners are sealed well and your drain tubes are hooked up well and you should be good.  As for security someone will get in if they want to, but in my opinion this is better than a soft cover.

I use to have a Bakflip G2 on my 2010 Titan. I did not care for it.

i installed a Bakflip Revolver on my mom’s 2018 Tacoma and love it. Seems really secure as well.

Roll-N-Lock installed on 2020 GMC with 6.5 foot bed.  Really like as it so easy to access the bed with a flip of the switch it rolls into the canister.  Also cargo manager is very nice addon.   

I view my tonneau cover as protection from the elements, and nothing more.  I don't leave anything of value in the bed of my truck.  

If someone believes there's something valuable in one, they will probably be popping it with a tire iron or jumping on it (or stealing the whole truck)

That said, mine is for some weather protection and security by hiding mostly.  My undercover tri-fold leaks a small amount at the front corners. 

I am slowly sealing it (weatherstrip material and some black silicone) and trying to keep it removable if needed.  The factory rake leads water to flow to these weak spots.  The bedliner has deep enough grooves that most items will not contact any dampness.

Also, Fold-a-Cover has one of the better locking systems for a folding tonneau if that is your primary concern.  

They've had a decent price drop, though I got mine through Lukas [email protected] for $765 two months ago before the price drop, they might be cheaper now.

+1
I’ve gotten a few tonneau covers from Luke and his shipped prices have always been much better than I could find anywhere else.