I asked before but I’m gonna ask again. Can you hear your AC compressor on your 6.2??

Turn the fan speed down, set it to high, cycle it on and off and on to see if you hear it “purring”. That’s the best way to describe it. I can even hear it outside with my ear near the grill.

Local service guy, as you can already imagine, said they all sound like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I'm confused. Is the A/C compressor supposed to be completely silent? Is any compressor or other piece of machinery? 

Well I don’t hear it on my 5.3. And I didn’t hear it on the 2015 f150 I just got finished with at work that had 170k miles on it.

I’m not talking about the clicking when it engages. I’m talking about a very audible noise (like an undercharged compressor or power steering pump that needs fluid) that varies with engine rpm.

I'm trying to figure out how you drive with your ear next to the grill....

Can't be that loud if you have to put your ear next to the grill, right?

Edit: never mind. Trying to turn a new leaf.

I’m not driving with my ear by the grill, obviously.

I hear it in the cab WHILE DRIVING and the pitch varies through the rpm range.

• Like 1

I hear mine humming even my 65yo dad with his weary ears commented on my compressor wine. Its is not so loud and the AC still blows cold so I am not going to bring it on till it get worse. It's been like this since beginning of summer and it didn't get any worse so far. O also I have the 5.3.

7 hours ago, Jav_eee said:

Edit: never mind. Trying to turn a new leaf.

I’m not driving with my ear by the grill, obviously.

I hear it in the cab WHILE DRIVING and the pitch varies through the rpm range.

Just a little kidding there.... Obviously you aren't driving with your ear to the grill.

But, I'm trying to point out, if you have to listen that closely, and can nearly hear it, what are we looking for here? We've all heard the AC compressor kicking in and out over the decades, but I have never thought that the AC should be silent when operating, I dunno.

• Like 1

But, I'm trying to point out, if you have to listen that closely, and can nearly hear it, what are we looking for here? We've all heard the AC compressor kicking in and out over the decades, but I have never thought that the AC should be silent when operating, I dunno.

That’s why I’ve mentioned several times that it is very noticeable. I don’t have to listen closely and can hear it over the radio when it’s on a low volume. Yeah I know the compressor clicks as it engages but that’s not what I’m talking about. It’s a “purr” for the entire duration wjile the compressor is engaged.

Why not go to the dealer and hop in another 6.2 and listen to it.  If the service guy is telling you that is what all of them sound like then it should be an easy comparison.  That way you can determine if it sounds the same.  If its every time the AC turns on then it should be a quick item to check

• Like 1

Why not go to the dealer and hop in another 6.2 and listen to it.  If the service guy is telling you that is what all of them sound like then it should be an easy comparison.  That way you can determine if it sounds the same.  If its every time the AC turns on then it should be a quick item to check

Because the local dealer isn’t allowing that due to the coronavirus.

I’ll just wait until they go back to regular operations.

Thanks for the help everyone!

The only time I've ever heard any whine coming from the engine bay of any truck I have ever had was when my belt tensioner pulley was on its way out on my '93.

I've never heard an AC compressor running inside the cab. My old truck made a definitive click when the compressor engaged and disengaged. Can't even hear that in my new one. It just blows cold air.

It still does what it is supposed to, what are you hoping to do with it?

Sent from my SM-J810F using Tapatalk

The only time I've ever heard any whine coming from the engine bay of any truck I have ever had was when my belt tensioner pulley was on its way out on my '93.

I've never heard an AC compressor running inside the cab. My old truck made a definitive click when the compressor engaged and disengaged. Can't even hear that in my new one. It just blows cold air.

It still does what it is supposed to, what are you hoping to do with it?

Sent from my SM-J810F using Tapatalk

They originally said it was that pulley and swapped it but the noise remained.

I’m hoping to silence it as it’s very obvious.

You sure your not confusing this with the oil pump whine these engines have? Does it only do it with the a/c turned on?

Positive. Cycling the AC on and off causes the noise to happen and not happen. It is most definitely the compressor. Sounds like it’s over or undercharged. Still cools adequately. I asked them to verify the Freon fill but they just said “sounds like all the rest of them”. So hear I am, asking a simple yes or no question and getting everything but that. Typical modern day forum, amirite??