In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

bharris515

2021 getting Wireless CarPlay...

There is a very similar discussion about this same issue on another forum.  Members reporting the same issue, but those that are not having the issue have noted that their iPhones are connected to the truck via WiFi.  Bluetooth may be the limitation here.

OK... So today... I jumped in my truck and viola! Carplay instantly was established with no effort.  WEIRD!  Because this is not what I usually experience. Running ios 14.4 on iphone 12.  2021 Silverado 2500HD, CC, Duramax.

But here's my new routine that seemed to work this time...

Turn on bluetooth on phone before I walk out of the house

Enter truck

Start truck

See what happens... today it worked.  I exercised patience, let the truck warm up and the connection pretty quickly established itself.

Once thing I am noticing if I remote start the truck or activate bluetooth on the phone after I've been in the truck... no connection. So my current thinking is to have bluetooth on the phone activated prior, then enter the rig, then start it up and be patient.

Wifi was turned off. OnStar was very clear that wifi has nothing to do with a carplay connection. My data plan has expired that came with the truck.  So I'm not getting that benefit.

BUT... I was surprised today by the reveal... not complaining, but celebrating.  Will see what happens next time.

One thing I have noticed about headunits is they can be affected by temp.  I have a suby outback 2015.  I use it in the mtns all the time for skiing.  It is always fussy about connections and controls on the touch surface until the car has adequately warmed the interior up.

Hoping my little trials are helpful to someone else... still experimenting.  Side note... the steering wheel controls are exactly opposite of my suby... still sorting that one out as I drive... But i love the truck!

I don't know how the factory wireless carplay units work. But the carplay2air units use BOTH bluetooth and wireless.  They use bluetooth at startup to send the credentials to the app on your phone to connect to the wifi running on carplay2air dongle. Once the wifi connection is made, carplay starts.

So... now my system is working better at recognizing my phone, even if I activate BT after starting the truck and being inside... it feels like it's learning to make the proper handshake protocol to establish wireless connection and projection. So far it keeps improving and seamlessly connecting so that's good. Not sure if there is a learning curve with the electronics, but what I tried in the past that failed is now appearing to work on it's own. So maybe just time and frequency is needed, kinda like a transmission learning shift patterns... hopefully this helpful for others and no wifi going to make this happen. 

On my iPhone 12 Pro Max, running 14.4, I leave Bluetooth and Wireless Ethernet on all the time. Wireless Car Play works flawlessly every time.