XM Radio Signal loss issue 2020

My 2020 Silverado 3500 miles.. has had an issue usually where upon starting the first time of the day.. the XM Radio says no signal or signal loss but it can do it during the day , but it only happens on start up and not just while driving.

This is sitting out in the open, no obstruction.  I have always felt this is a software issue and not a hardware problem. Even though I called XM and wasted 20 minutes on the phone with some idiot that said my antenna was unplugged or I had a “bad module”

This problem was totally intermittent .  It happened 4 or 5 times within a week of owning it and I took a pic of the screen and took it to the dealer. I told them when it was doing it and they did the basic check of the antenna wire.. and said they couldn’t do anything because at the time it was there it was working.

3 weeks goes by and no more issues, then out of the blue, it did it again the other day.

Thinking this was a software thing.. I went into the settings and found aps.. the currently running aps..scrolled way down to near the bottom and there was XM Radio ap.. there is a stop button to the right and I stopped the XM ap from running and immediately the radio stars working 

I think when you start up, the Infotainment system loads these aps, and for some reason the XM ap, does not load correctly  and it freezes, like a program on your desktop PC

I know this wont fix the problem but its a quick work around when it does happen. 

Since I did this the fix on Monday, my radio has worked fine since.. so I ‘m waiting to see if it does it again.

Edited by plainvanilla

My 2020 Sierra was having the same issue. I think there was a software update and it resolved the issue.  Check and see if there is an update for your truck.

Thank-you for the description, my new truck has done this twice. I will try and reset if it happens again. I also suspect a software hang.  My symptoms are.. it was working fine then I shut off the truck for 10 mins or so and it wouldn't reconnect after restarting. After sitting for an hour or so, I tried again and it worked.

20 hours ago, Garypat said:

Thank-you for the description, my new truck has done this twice. I will try and reset if it happens again. I also suspect a software hang.  My symptoms are.. it was working fine then I shut off the truck for 10 mins or so and it wouldn't reconnect after restarting. After sitting for an hour or so, I tried again and it worked.

My truck has done this multiple times as well.   Always in the Dunkin Donuts parking lot....I assumed it was just where I was parking, there was no signal and when I started the truck back up it wouldn't reconnect.  I will have to try the app reset as well. 

• 2 months later...

Mine does same thing. 2020 Trail Boss. I do the force stop as well on running app screen and it starts working again. That definitely tells me it's a software issue. I been a technician for 30 years. Unless Chevy puts out an update or TSB the dealership won't find anything since it's very intermittent. I'll wait for an update but the force stop trick is so fast it doesn't bother me at all. 

• 1 month later...

Follow up: mine has done this a half a dozen times now in 4 months. Today I noticed that also I had lost the navigation info on the dash display and HUD, also the sirius info on the dash display. reset the sirius app and got the radio back on, but the info on the dash display and HUD didnt come back. After getting home, shutting the truck off and coming back 15 minutes later all was working again. curious if anyone else has noticed that.

Mine has been doing the same thing.  Frustrating driving to work in the morning without xm.  This is a great tip, hopefully they release a software update.  Now I have 2 things to do when I start up my silverado in the morning.....1. turn off auto start, 2.turn off xm app. LOL!

• 3 weeks later...

My 2020 GMC Sierra has done this intermittently since I've owned it and it only has a little over 10,000 miles on it.  Sometimes when I start it, the screen displays "no signal".  The first time it happened I called Sirius and they sent a new signal to the radio three times and each time on their end the signal showed success but I still didn't have satellite radio.  They referred me to the dealership for a possible software issue.  One of the times, the backup camera displayed a red circle with a line through it and said it was not available.  I have an appointment to take mine back on this coming Tuesday,  November 3rd to leave it with them to see if they can find out what is causing it.  Surely with as many incidents by as many people who are reporting this problem, General Motors is trying to get to the bottom of the problem.

• 2 months later...

This happened on my 2020 GMC Sierra 2500 HD. It did it once, then started working again. The next day XM quit working and didn’t work again until I found this thread. One thing on the Sierra...I went to Settings, had to select the System option in the top left, then was able to find the Running Applications option. Going to Apps first in my truck will not get you to that. But thanks to all who offered their input here. It got mine back up and running!

• 2 weeks later...

I found TSB 20NA199 "Radio software version U150 update" november 2020. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10184493-9999.pdf

Under RPO it states it is for all 3 radios and addresses, among several other things, Sirius XM acquiring signal or loading and playing music for 3 seconds then stopping after switching from another source then after changing channel in sirius it works again. Also addresses "I cant find a phone" when using VR when a phone is connected.

My truck on occasion does these 3 things and I am wondering if anyone has updated to U150 and it solved the problem.

On 1/15/2021 at 8:28 PM, Bigfoot98 said:

I found TSB 20NA199 "Radio software version U150 update" november 2020. https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2020/MC-10184493-9999.pdf

Under RPO it states it is for all 3 radios and addresses, among several other things, Sirius XM acquiring signal or loading and playing music for 3 seconds then stopping after switching from another source then after changing channel in sirius it works again. Also addresses "I cant find a phone" when using VR when a phone is connected.

My truck on occasion does these 3 things and I am wondering if anyone has updated to U150 and it solved the problem.

I put the U150 update in mine and it did not fix it.  See my profile pic

44 minutes ago, Kent Hagler said:

I put the U150 update in mine and it did not fix it.  See my profile pic

It has worked so far on mine knock on wood. It has been a few days. The update also fixed "browse" on the FM radio and it shows a list of available radio stations and I never knew it was not working right in the first place.