Truck shopping. Ram 2500;gas 6.4 vs Chevy 2500

Soooo pre COVID I had my new ram all lined up. Well that fell through so now I’m re looking at my options. I’ll stick with gas. No diesel. 
comparing New crew cab 2500 4x4.  I don’t want this to turn into a pissing match between the two. Thoughts for anyone that has driven or experience with both. I’ll be towing a 8k boat sometimes. 

which cab is bigger?  I like all the tec in the ram, but the simple Chevy almost seems safer from reliability 

ram payload much less due to coil springs

ram tows 3k more with the 4.10 rear end....

all 4 corners coil with ram.    Old school leaf and torsion with Chevy. 
more thoughts.... 

The Chevy crew cab is significantly bigger in both front and rear leg room:

Chevy F/R: 44.5/43.4

Ram F/R: 40.9/40.2

Ram also has the "short" cushion in the center of the rear seat.  It may also make a difference where the 60/40 cut is, based on how you use the back seat.  Ram has the 40 seat on the driver's side, Chevy has the 40 seat on the passenger side.

The Ram is shorter in overall length, wheelbase, and bed length (assuming standard-bed truck):

Ram OL/WB/BL: 238.8/149.3/76.3

Chevy OL/WB/BL: 249.9/158.9/82.2

That lesser length gives Ram a tighter turning circle - 48.2 feet to Chevy's 52.7

Haven't driven the gassers, so I won't comment on the engines, but in driving FCA cars with the ZF 8-speed, it's very smooth shifting and you get the two extra low gears over Chevy which will help with launching a load.

Edited by KCJackson1
typo

3 hours ago, KCJackson1 said:

The Chevy crew cab is significantly bigger in both front and rear leg room:

Chevy F/R: 44.5/43.4

Ram F/R: 40.9/40.2

Ram also has the "short" cushion in the center of the rear seat.  It may also make a difference where the 60/40 cut is, based on how you use the back seat.  Ram has the 40 seat on the driver's side, Chevy has the 40 seat on the passenger side.

The Ram is shorter in overall length, wheelbase, and bed length (assuming standard-bed truck):

Ram OL/WB/BL: 238.8/149.3/76.3

Chevy OL/WB/BL: 249.9/158.9/82.2

That lesser length gives Ram a tighter turning circle - 48.2 feet to Chevy's 52.7

Haven't driven the gassers, so I won't comment on the engines, but in driving FCA cars with the ZF 8-speed, it's very smooth shifting and you get the two extra low gears over Chevy which will help with launching a load.

Thank you for the great info.  Larger interior sounds appealing. So on overall length 
is it worth comparing the mega cab ram vs the Chevy crew? The overall length is about the same 

Edited by Akwagon

I just went thru this in april…..these were the 2 trucks I was looking at

I picked chevy for overall appearance of the truck, the bed is bigger and deeper....also payload is much better....

both motors are solid.....and are more than enough for what I need

RAM has is bigger screen, which again I don't really care that much and they have softer seats....silverados are rock hard....I actually could have got a better deal on RAM but also figured chevy will be better on resale as well.....but I did mull this over for quite awhile before I finally decided.....

sure either is fine I just have to like what I look at when I walk outside to jump in and Silverado wins in most of critical areas for me.....

I think best bang for the buck has to be Tradesman nowadays....you can load that thing up way beyond any other base model truck and be reasonably priced.....

Silverado is a huge truck, crew cab is very spacious....but its just seems like much bigger truck overall

Edited by Dunn

3 hours ago, Akwagon said:

Thank you for the great info.  Larger interior sounds appealing. So on overall length 
is it worth comparing the mega cab ram vs the Chevy crew? The overall length is about the same 

All the extra room in the Ram Mega is back seat and the area between the back seat and the rear cab wall.  You'll get a full-size full-cushion reclining rear seat that also folds into the floor for a very large (relatively) flat load space.  As noted previously, the front seat still lacks legroom compared to Chevy, though - it's in the exact same place regardless of cab.  The bed is still 6 inches shorter than the Chevy.  The Mega also has that huge blind spot over the shoulder because of the wide C-pillar, which means more reliance on electronics to keep you from accidentally crushing a car alongside you.

12 hours ago, KCJackson1 said:

All the extra room in the Ram Mega is back seat and the area between the back seat and the rear cab wall.  You'll get a full-size full-cushion reclining rear seat that also folds into the floor for a very large (relatively) flat load space.  As noted previously, the front seat still lacks legroom compared to Chevy, though - it's in the exact same place regardless of cab.  The bed is still 6 inches shorter than the Chevy.  The Mega also has that huge blind spot over the shoulder because of the wide C-pillar, which means more reliance on electronics to keep you from accidentally crushing a car alongside you.

KC, any info on why RAM only gave the HD trucks the new dash layout and left the rest of the interior as carry-over? I thought they may wait a year, but the 2020 RAM HD still has the old interior layout minus the new dash.

7 hours ago, ShotgunZ71 said:

KC, any info on why RAM only gave the HD trucks the new dash layout and left the rest of the interior as carry-over? I thought they may wait a year, but the 2020 RAM HD still has the old interior layout minus the new dash.

The Ram HDs haven't migrated to the new body yet (new 1500 style).  The 2019 refresh was only the new front clip and updated dash, but is otherwise the same cab and box introduced a decade ago, as is the 1500 Classic.  The full redesign for the HD to the new 1500's cab is now delayed until the 2023 model year (was previously scheduled for MY22).  The new body's crew cab is 4 inches longer and has significantly more rear legroom (but no increase in front legroom).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KCJackson1 said:

The Ram HDs haven't migrated to the new body yet (new 1500 style).  The 2019 refresh was only the new front clip and updated dash, but is otherwise the same cab and box introduced a decade ago, as is the 1500 Classic.  The full redesign for the HD to the new 1500's cab is now delayed until the 2023 model year (was previously scheduled for MY22).  The new body's crew cab is 4 inches longer and has significantly more rear legroom (but no increase in front legroom).

They did upgrade axle and frame strength and the 6.4 gas gets the 8spd. 

looking at axle ratings on the 2500 Chevy has a higher rear axle rating and ram has a higher front axle rating. 

I’m debating the same thing. I like the Chevy exterior, and the Ram interior. I tow an 8000lb RV. The 8spd in the Ram is getting rave reviews, and I’m reading complaints  about shift points on the 6spd Chevy.  ThIs is the same types of thing I was reading about the 6spd Ram. If Chevy had gone with an 8 or 10 spd, I’d probably go Chevy. 
I’m still thinking about the Chevy, and may try to hold out to see if in 2022, they change the tranny. Currently in driving a 2002 Chevy with 242k miles that I bought new that has been great, so it kinda has me loyal to Chevy.  If I hold out to 2022, that would be an even 20 years with the same truck, that would be kinda cool. 

Tell me about shift point issues you have been hearing about on the Chev. I have one and do not find any issues with the 6 speed. I could maybe get behind and 8 speed but I frankly cannot find the logic/need for a 10 speed in a gas h.d. The rpm range of a gas engine minimizes the need for additional gear ratios under almost any condition once you pass 7 or 8 ratios, assuming proper spacing.

Rams 6 speed issues where that transmission was geared for diesel applications.  G.M. 6 speed shift point issues, "Ike Gauntlet", testing by TFL are ecm related. The towing method they are using is NOT what any eperienced driver would ever use to ascend that mountain.

Both are good really.  The big downfall I see with the Ram 6.4 is it run EGR and an EGR cooler like a diesel.  The Dodge dealer we get parts from has seen a good bit of EGR failure and issues on 6.4 HD Ram over the last 2 years.  

Big personal opinion downfall on the GM?  No 10 speed with gas.  The 10L90 is a great unit and should be in it.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, newdude said:

Both are good really.  The big downfall I see with the Ram 6.4 is it run EGR and an EGR cooler like a diesel.  The Dodge dealer we get parts from has seen a good bit of EGR failure and issues on 6.4 HD Ram over the last 2 years.  

Big personal opinion downfall on the GM?  No 10 speed with gas.  The 10L90 is a great unit and should be in it.  

It's a balance between reliability and need.  GM generally does not want to launch all new engine and transmission together for reliability.  That is why carryover diesel with new trans and new gas with carryover trans.  Ford did new engine and trans on both gas and diesel.  

#iworkforGM 

8 minutes ago, MTU Alum said:

It's a balance between reliability and need.  GM generally does not want to launch all new engine and transmission together for reliability.  That is why carryover diesel with new trans and new gas with carryover trans.  Ford did new engine and trans on both gas and diesel.  

#iworkforGM 

10L90 has been out in the ZL1 for 3 model years now, and has been available in Tahoe/Yukon since 2018 model and T1 pickups since 2019 model year.  If it can handle the ZL1's 650lbs torque and NHT 6.2 1/2 tons, it can handle the 6.6 gas.  GM reversed that whole scenario for the Gen 5 ZL1 which got the HD's 6L90.  I think 3 years is a good run to test it.  Ford did the same.  Raptor got the 10R in 2017, followed by the Mustang and F150.  

The only actual, viable reasoning that makes the most sense to me is if GM and Ford have a "gentleman's agreement" on who got to launch it first in what specific vehicle.  Raptor/ZL1, then the GM SUVs/Mustang/F150, now Ford took to the gas HD first and GM got the diesel HD first.  

Edited by newdude