Towing Rating Question 2018 1500 Double Cab 4wd

Truck was not towing equipped.  Which I am assuming at this point included a brake controller, hitch receiver platform and towing radiator.

5.3L, 6 speed and 3.08 gears.

Owners manual states 6200lbs tow rating.  I have added a brake controller, towing mirrors and a class 3 receiver.

Is this truck without the towing package rated for 6200lbs as it says in the manual.  Manual is a little confusing in the write up.  Wife wants a camp trailer and I am looking at one that will run 4500-6000lbs.  Towing out west, interstate speeds and lots of topography.

Thank you!

Edited by Jim Riley

Yeah, it was 6200lbs with or without the receiver.

The low rating is because of the 3.08 gearing. You'll be fine if you find a trailer around that weight, it will still pull it fine.

Going heavy would really want a gear change to 3.42's or 3.73's because the 3.08's will make it work way harder to tow heavier loads.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jim Riley said:

Truck was not towing equipped.  Which I am assuming at this point included a brake controller, hitch receiver platform and towing radiator.

5.3L, 6 speed and 3.08 gears.

Owners manual states 6200lbs tow rating.  I have added a brake controller, towing mirrors and a class 3 receiver.

Is this truck without the towing package rated for 6200lbs as it says in the manual.  Manual is a little confusing in the write up.  Wife wants a camp trailer and I am looking at one that will run 4500-6000lbs.  Towing out west, interstate speeds and lots of topography.

Thank you!

Check your glove box for the list of RPO codes.  From there, you can find out what your truck has and then determine the tow rating.

You can also call GM customer service, provide them with your VIN, and ask for the build sheet for your truck.  This is handy to have.  

In either case,  keep in mind that persons and cargo in your truck add weight thus reducing the tow rating.  

It will tow it no problem.

Towing in the mountains is a whole new ball game. It will tow it but the grades will mean using lower gears to keep it in the power band. This means slower speeds. No hurry, no problem.

:)

• 6 months later...

I have the same truck and is rated for 12k? We are pulling a 26' Flagstaff @6700lb. It doesn't really like it but does ok. I'm looking for upgrades/mods that would help. I'm thinking of adding a cold air intake etc..

10 hours ago, Roy Juneau said:

I have the same truck and is rated for 12k? We are pulling a 26' Flagstaff @6700lb. It doesn't really like it but does ok. I'm looking for upgrades/mods that would help. I'm thinking of adding a cold air intake etc..

If you had the same truck you'd only be able to tow 6,200lbs.

If you can tow more than that you obviously have different rear end gears.

A cold air intake isn't going to help anything. The factory airbox already pulls air from the fenderwell which is going to have the coolest air. It needs more power or better gearing to tow better.

Well it sounds like maybe its not the same vehicle. Mine is a 2018 SLE 5.3L.4x4 Limited. According to the RPO code it has 3.42 gearing in the rear end. That, with a six speed tranny shows a chart in the manual that says the towing capacity is 12k. That's all I had to go by as I'm not experienced at towing and certainly not an expert at anything especially this stuff. I'm currently pulling a 26' Forest River Flag Staff Lite that weighs 6800lbs dry and it does fine. I'd just like to find a little more torque because we are planning a long trip across the county. I read where the cold air intake, all while adding some increased HP can also add some additional torque but that too could be misleading. Maybe a tuner or performance chip might also be worth looking in to.

12,000lbs is the GCWR (gross combined weight rating) and not the tow rating for a truck with 3.08 gears.

Look at page 9 in this manual for towing specs for a 5.3 with 6 speed and 3.42 gearing. It's 9,200lbs.

https://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/chevrolet/na/us/english/index/vehicles/2018/trucks/silverado-1500/mov/02-pdf/2018-chevrolet-trailering-and-towing-guide.pdf

Edited by CamGTP