Best Spot for Floor Jack and Jack Stand for oil change?

So kind of a dumb question but I've never jacked up a truck before.  Have done it a few times on a car but not many.  Thinking about changing my own oil so I know it is done right.  Can't beat the price at the dealer but they didn't reset my oil life computer and just makes me thinks what else they could have "forgot".  

This is the Jack I want to buy.  https://www.harborfreight.com/3-Ton-Long-Reach-Low-Profile-Professional-Rapid-Pump-Floor-Jack-Green-64785.html

Probably overkill but I figure buy once, cry once.  

Since my truck has running boards and I am a fat a**, I don't fit under the truck without jacking it up.  Where would be the best place to jack up the truck and the best place to put a jack stand?  Any pictures, diagrams, etc. would be greatly appreciated lol.  Want to make sure I do it safely.  I am not super mechanical but I have basic hand tools and have done little things like my Cold Air Intake, Illuminating Bow Tie, Catch Can, etc.  Figured besides the jacking up of the truck, the oil change should be pretty easy and I won't have to wait 2 hours at the dealer.  

I usually use the jack on the lower a-arm, right next to the wheel.  Don't forget to use jackstands, as even a new jack can fail.

For oil changes, I normally use ramps, even though I still use a jack to get it off the ramps to rotate tires...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, davester said:

I usually use the jack on the lower a-arm, right next to the wheel.  Don't forget to use jackstands, as even a new jack can fail.

For oil changes, I normally use ramps, even though I still use a jack to get it off the ramps to rotate tires...

The ramp you use is something like this one?  Most of the videos show ppl using similar ramps for cars so wasn't sure. 

https://www.harborfreight.com/13000-lb-portable-vehicle-ramp-set-63956.html

• Like 1

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam/gmownercenter/gmna/dynamic/manuals/2019/Chevrolet/silverado-1500/2019-chevrolet-silverado-1500-owners-manual.pdf

page 390 shows the "desired" jack locations.

But I just screwed a couple 2x10's together to make ramps and that's what I use for oil changes. Floor jack only comes out to rotate tires, when I'm not under the truck.

• Like 2

funny I am gonna do my first oil change on my 2500 in a few here (waiting for trash trucks to finish in the alley).....ill get some ramps eventually but these trucks sit pretty tall so don't have to go up too high....I have huge cross member to use for jack stand and I just have harbor freight ones.....pretty simple to do

I just like doin my own and its pretty inexpensive once your setup to do it.....buy oil in bulk, use good oil filters

• Like 1

I use the lift at the dealer. And the tech at the dealer. ?

For my other vehicles I always use ramps for oil changes. Truck is borderline tall enough to get under without anything at all, but even if not, there’s no need to mess with jacks and stands for this purpose...save yourself some time and effort and buy a quality set of ramps. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

I use the lift at the dealer. And the tech at the dealer. ?

For my other vehicles I always use ramps for oil changes. Truck is borderline tall enough to get under without anything at all, but even if not, there’s no need to mess with jacks and stands for this purpose...save yourself some time and effort and buy a quality set of ramps. 

Yeah I think I would fit under if I either didn't have the front air dam thing or the running boards. I'd rather not mess with taking off either though lol.  

Edited by Philipgonzales3

I just drive up on ramps to change my oil and filter.  If you plan on doing your own oil changes you should consider installing a Fumoto oil drain valve.  The model you want is the F107N.  Attach 12-18 inches of 3/8" ID clear vinyl tubing and it makes for a very clean oil change.

• Like 3

On 6/23/2020 at 3:12 PM, diyer2 said:

I always use a floor jack on the frame.

:)

Where do you jack it up to lift the front, and where do the jackstands go?  Just did an ATF drain and fill on my girls Civic.  Was really easy but I'm not so confident on knowing the right location for the jack and stands for the truck.  I'm going to get some ramps but still want to know how I could lift the front up with the jack.

20200626_175439.jpg

3 minutes ago, davester said:

check your owners manual, or the full-service manual for it, as different vehicles will have different spots to use for lifting.

Ok the owners manual seems very vague to me.  Was hoping someone does it regularly and can school me in what I need to do lol.