In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Karen Dooper Winstead Peyton

Now won’t start

My son just bought a 2009 GMC 2500HD.   It has remote start.  So of course he tried it out when he came to show me yesterday.  It worked as it should.  Today when he was about ready to leave his work he did the remote start.  It started for a bit then quit.  Now it won’t start at all, even with the key.  It just turns over and that’s it.  Any suggestions?

Try another key. Could have tripped the security system too.

If there was a trouble code set, and the Check Engine Light was on, the factory remote start will not even attempt to crank the engine. The lights may flash, but as soon as it "reads" the code, the computer will shut down the process. If it will not start with the key, but still cranks, there is another issue that will have to be diagnosed. 

Check all of the fuses. Check the battery connections. You should be able to hear the fuel pump turn on and run for a second or two when the key is turned to the "run" position before you try to start the engine. These are just the first couple of things I would check. 

Edited by citydriver