What would you do? Towing

I am looking to purchase a truck, I am looking at a 2019 Sierra or Silverado 1500 with a 6.2l with 10-speed auto transmission. It will be my daily driver however I use it from time to time to pull enclosed trailers loaded with furniture for when I am cleaning out estates. The trailers I would be pulling range from 12' to 26' enclosed. I mostly would be pulling 16' or 20' foot trailers the most, the 26' I would not use much.

I have also thought about a 2014-2018 1500 with a 6.2l, I think my biggest fear is a get a truck and it can't do what I need it to do.

Thoughts?

I am looking to purchase a truck, I am looking at a 2019 Sierra or Silverado 1500 with a 6.2l with 10-speed auto transmission. It will be my daily driver however I use it from time to time to pull enclosed trailers loaded with furniture for when I am cleaning out estates. The trailers I would be pulling range from 12' to 26' enclosed. I mostly would be pulling 16' or 20' foot trailers the most, the 26' I would not use much.

I have also thought about a 2014-2018 1500 with a 6.2l, I think my biggest fear is a get a truck and it can't do what I need it to do.

Thoughts?

Depends on the loaded trailer weight but the 6.2 w/ 10sp will make light work of that trailer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

I have a 1500 6.2 w/ 10-speed. If you get it with the max trailering package, which would give you a better gear ratio and some techno do-dads, your toe capacity is above 10k. Without it, like I have, you still get a tow capacity of 9,300 and a GCVW of 15000. Which is plenty for lots of people.

For me, I can pull my 7k travel trailer with no issue. But what you load up your trailer with and how much that all weighs will impact your choice of vehicle.

1 hour ago, ice_nyne said:

I have a 1500 6.2 w/ 10-speed. If you get it with the max trailering package, which would give you a better gear ratio and some techno do-dads, your toe capacity is above 10k. Without it, like I have, you still get a tow capacity of 9,300 and a GCVW of 15000. Which is plenty for lots of people.

For me, I can pull my 7k travel trailer with no issue. But what you load up your trailer with and how much that all weighs will impact your choice of vehicle.

I don't think the max trailering package gives you any of the fancy tech but the trailer camera package and advanced trailering package do. However, I would say the max trailering package is more important than either of those. 

The trailer vary so much in weight, I am currently using a 1998 Chevy 2500 5.7L and have not had any issue pulling any of them.

I think my biggest question is it worth it make sure I get the newer 10 speed transmission or is the 8 speed from the 2014-2018 ok, it seems the 14-18 8 speed has issues.

Either truck will be able to pull the load fine. It seems as though 95% of the folks on here with the 10-speed have nothing but good things to say about it. The 8-speeds reputation is not as good, as you know, I haven't had any real problems with mine though. 

10 hours ago, sevenrice said:

The trailer vary so much in weight, I am currently using a 1998 Chevy 2500 5.7L and have not had any issue pulling any of them.

I think my biggest question is it worth it make sure I get the newer 10 speed transmission or is the 8 speed from the 2014-2018 ok, it seems the 14-18 8 speed has issues.

Let me rephrase my question...what's the heaviest a loaded trailer that you would tow would weigh?  A 3/4 ton has a higher payload capacity and tow rating than a half ton and was designed as a tow vehicle.

20 hours ago, AlaskaErik said:

A 3/4 ton has a higher payload capacity and tow rating than a half ton and was designed as a tow vehicle.

exactly.....just makes it easier

On 6/26/2020 at 12:09 PM, sevenrice said:

Go ahead and get the 19/20 6.2 10 speed

Don't ignore the brakes.

A 2500 has significantly heavier frame and significantly bigger brakes. 

The 2500 frames have had 2 major (3 if you count the 2020) updates since 1998.

I'm not sure about the early 2000's version, but the 2011 2500 update came with much bigger brakes (and the exhaust brake,  if you are considering dmax) 

Old article, but includes info/pic about frame, front end and brakes: 

http://www.maxxtorque.com/2010/12/2011-duramax-lml-review-built-to-tow.html 

actually not too impressed with brakes.....my RST were way stronger, but I haven't had a 2500 b4 so idk what they used to be like but have thought about making these a bit more powerful