2013 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT vs 2014 edition

Hi Everyone. This is my first post here. I'm curious... I've been looking for a newer truck and my budget is right around a 2011-2013 or 2014-2015 SLT. I believe the 2013 is the last year of that style as 2014 is the first of the next one. They always say the last model year is the one to get as the bugs are usually worked out. Conversely, the first year of a new design has more problems that need to be addressed. Does anyone know if that is the case here? I really like both models and would prefer to go newer. However, reliability is a big factor too. If you had to choose between a lower mileage 2013 {2011,2012 as well) and a higher mileage 2014 (or 2015) which one would you choose? Also, are there any  common issues to be aware of for these model years? Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide. 

21 hours ago, zephyr424 said:

Hi Everyone. This is my first post here. I'm curious... I've been looking for a newer truck and my budget is right around a 2011-2013 or 2014-2015 SLT. I believe the 2013 is the last year of that style as 2014 is the first of the next one. They always say the last model year is the one to get as the bugs are usually worked out. Conversely, the first year of a new design has more problems that need to be addressed. Does anyone know if that is the case here? I really like both models and would prefer to go newer. However, reliability is a big factor too. If you had to choose between a lower mileage 2013 {2011,2012 as well) and a higher mileage 2014 (or 2015) which one would you choose? Also, are there any  common issues to be aware of for these model years? Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide. 

Welcome to the site.

Have you had a chance to driver either model year?

If I was looking for a newer model GM truck. I’d set my sites on a 6.2 without cycling deactivation. Even a higher mileage one. If you’re looking for it lasting many miles. Find a non cylinder deactivation with a 6 speed automatic. Make sure you have complete maintenance records. I went all the way back to 01, couldn’t be happier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also make sure if you go with a 13 it dont burn oil. My friend had bought a brand new one and had alot of issues with it burning oil. The dealer try multiple things to fix and nothing seemed to work. He really liked the truck but just got tired of dealing with it. 

I owned a '09 Sierra SLE with cylinder deactivation and now a '15 Sierra SLE with cylinder deactivation.  Both are awesome trucks. (The '09 had oil issues early on but trouble free after warranty repair.) Chances are a well maintained used truck will have any such issues resolved.  I assure you the subsequent owner of my '09 bought a trouble free truck.   If I had to choose between a '13 or a '14 in equal condition  and similar equipment,  I'd pick the '14. The interior is a substantial improvement and fuel economy is much better, imo.

If you live in a state that salts roads in the winter, the GMT-900 trucks 2007-2013 will rot out the box sides from the inside out.  This is a VERY common thing in the salt states.  A quick peek of the head into the wheel well area is the quickest check.  Also check for rust starting on the rockers.