In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Posted (edited)

I've read quite a few articles on the pros and cons of oil catch cans.  Some say you need them on DI (direct injected) engines (to help keep the intake valves from getting carbon buildup), others say you don't.  So I did a little experiment on my 2018 Silverado L83 to see what would happen.

I mounted 2 separate catch cans - one connected directly to both crankcase breather lines that come off of the valve covers with an open element breather filter on the catch can itself (plugged ports on air box the factory crankcase breather lines attached to).  The other catch can is in-line of the PCV vacuum line.

20200629_164221.thumb.jpg.a3ce4ac080fef1f1deb7d1334c05cb05.jpg

I drove the truck for 500 miles, mixed city/highway.  The results were:

Crankcase breather catch can was bone dry - not even a haze of oil film on the inside of the can.

PCV catch can was a different story:

20200629_215855.thumb.jpg.972b47f95684c9d7ab6f5f93bfa7c34e.jpg

There's probably 2 tablespoons of oil in there after 500 miles.  I'm running Mobil1 0w20 full synthetic, engine has about 25,000 miles on it.

Based on these test results, I think I can remove the crankcase breather catch can but I'm definitely keeping the PCV catch can.

Edited by SinisterZ71
  • Like 1

try switching to 5w-30 synth oil from redline or other manufacture. my oil consumption stopped when I stopped using 0-20 oil

I've read quite a few articles on the pros and cons of oil catch cans.  Some say you need them on DI (direct injected) engines (to help keep the intake valves from getting carbon buildup), others say you don't.  So I did a little experiment on my 2018 Silverado L83 to see what would happen.

I mounted 2 separate catch cans - one connected directly to both crankcase breather lines that come off of the valve covers with an open element breather filter on the catch can itself (plugged ports on air box the factory crankcase breather lines attached to).  The other catch can is in-line of the PCV vacuum line.

20200629_164221.thumb.jpg.a3ce4ac080fef1f1deb7d1334c05cb05.jpg

I drove the truck for 500 miles, mixed city/highway.  The results were:

Crankcase breather catch can was bone dry - not even a haze of oil film on the inside of the can.

PCV catch can was a different story:

20200629_215855.thumb.jpg.972b47f95684c9d7ab6f5f93bfa7c34e.jpg

There's probably 2 tablespoons of oil in there after 500 miles.  I'm running Mobil1 0w20 full synthetic, engine has about 25,000 miles on it.

Based on these test results, I think I can remove the crankcase breather catch can but I'm definitely keeping the PCV catch can.

The only thing that stopping me from installing the catch can is the warranty. If I keep it while visiting the dealer it will void my warranty, otherwise I have to take it out at every dealer visit.

19 hours ago, flyingfool said:

try switching to 5w-30 synth oil from redline or other manufacture. my oil consumption stopped when I stopped using 0-20 oil

I will try that.

20 minutes ago, SARNCAN said:

The only thing that stopping me from installing the catch can is the warranty. If I keep it while visiting the dealer it will void my warranty, otherwise I have to take it out at every dealer visit.

It only takes a few minutes to remove the catch can and return it to stock.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SARNCAN said:

I put one on and the service department person that helps me said that all these new trucks should have one. They have to do valve cleaning services on a few vehicles every month. 

• Like 1