Max Tow but still to much squat

I really like how my 6.2 Max Tow 2020 Silverado Tows, plenty of power and handles pretty good.  However my big disappointment is in how much it squats with my 8000lb travel trailer is hooked up.  I have an Equalizer hitch for it that is supposed to help with weight distribution, and i thought i was paying for the heavy duty leaf springs in the Max Tow, but would like it to more leveled out.  I put a level on the bed rail of the truck and it shows its level...but still doesnt look right.  Anyone have any experience using one of these Equalizer Weight Distribution hitches?  Im curious what settings you have it set at.  I have tried moving the ball higher, lower, adjusting the L brackets....I dont want to have to get air bags, the equalizer hitch is supposed to do the job.

With you truck and trailer on level ground, how much taller is the ball than the top of the trailer ball mount?  These truck do have to squat some to engage the overload spring.

Edited by pewterliftedz
  • Like 1

Find a good service centre that sells/services trailers, and hopefully the same brand of hitch.  A good technician will help you to properly setup your hitch and probably show you tips and tricks you'd never discover on your own.  You may also need some advice on distributing weight in your trailer to reduce tongue weight.  

• Like 1

I may have to do that.  It was originally set up by dealership on our suburban (that came with stock self leveling airbags).  But that hitch receiver was much higher than mine is in the Silverado.  I was hoping someone was currently use that type of hitch and had a picture of their settings. 

2 hours ago, BigDog88 said:

I really like how my 6.2 Max Tow 2020 Silverado Tows, plenty of power and handles pretty good.  However my big disappointment is in how much it squats with my 8000lb travel trailer is hooked up.  I have an Equalizer hitch for it that is supposed to help with weight distribution, and i thought i was paying for the heavy duty leaf springs in the Max Tow, but would like it to more leveled out.  I put a level on the bed rail of the truck and it shows its level...but still doesnt look right.  Anyone have any experience using one of these Equalizer Weight Distribution hitches?  Im curious what settings you have it set at.  I have tried moving the ball higher, lower, adjusting the L brackets....I dont want to have to get air bags, the equalizer hitch is supposed to do the job.

So how much does is squat? 

You can also take it to a truck stop and put it on the scales.  It will tell you the total weight, weight of each vehicle and how much is on the tongue or pin.

I had 1,680lb of block in the bed of my 2020 trail boss.  It had just about 2.25"  of squat.  My max payload is 1,626lb.  I didn't think 2.25" was bad at all.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Donstar said:

Find a good service centre that sells/services trailers, and hopefully the same brand of hitch.  A good technician will help you to properly setup your hitch and probably show you tips and tricks you'd never discover on your own.  You may also need some advice on distributing weight in your trailer to reduce tongue weight.  

This is good advise.  If setup properly, the Equal-i-zer will return the rear of the truck to within 1/2' of where it was before the trailer is hooked up.  I have never met a truck and trailer that I couldn't get beck to level.  Whether that is a good idea or not could be debated.  Heck, if your frame is strong enough, you can crank that sucker down hard enough to remove the rear wheels:

attachment.php?attachmentid=175465&stc=1

This is a good video on how to set it up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5TtNUxeFWc

Also, if you could post a pic from the side with the truck and trailer hooked up with the Equal-i-zer and closer in of the hitch itself, we can tell a lot just from the pic.

Edited by corn18

on both of my weight weight distribution hitches the top of the ball should be set 1.5-2 inches higher than the trailer coupler when the trailer is level, you may need to fine tune the angle of the WDH head with a washer or spacer. I have An Anderson WDH and Husky centerline WDH. 

• Thanks 1

I have the fast way E2 on my K2 Silverado for a 3500 lbs camper. Don’t need one but I had it from a previous tow vehicle and it does well with reducing the bounce and the affects of wind and semis. To ensure you set the hitch up properly, do you have the measurements from the squat on the front and rear tires with and without the WDH? Also have you taken it to a cat scale? Always best to check the basics and start with the cheapest options before modifying the heck out of it then buying a 2500!

5 hours ago, BigDog88 said:

Done that...thats why im on here looking to see what others are doing.

How much does it actually squat?  Did you measure it?
Your initial post said "it doesn't look right". That is pretty vague as looks can be deceiving.