Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Truck tries to fire up and dies immediately! HELP


Recommended Posts

My 2019 GMC Sierra 6.2lL tries to start then dies.  Backed my truck up and it died. Fired it back up and it idled so hard and rough it shut itself down. Got service esc, reduced engine power and service transmission. Tried a second time and it just continued to automatically try and  start eventually it killed itself I couldn't stop it from trying to start .....no idea what the hell is going on. I didn't smell any fuel maybe it's not receiving any. It sounded horrible. Any ideas?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Chevysousa said:

My 2019 GMC Sierra 6.2lL tries to start then dies.  Backed my truck up and it died. Fired it back up and it idled so hard and rough it shut itself down. Got service esc, reduced engine power and service transmission. Tried a second time and it just continued to automatically try and  start eventually it killed itself I couldn't stop it from trying to start .....no idea what the hell is going on. I didn't smell any fuel maybe it's not receiving any. It sounded horrible. Any ideas?

Check battery. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/3/2020 at 6:24 PM, Chevysousa said:

My 2019 GMC Sierra 6.2lL tries to start then dies.  Backed my truck up and it died. Fired it back up and it idled so hard and rough it shut itself down. Got service esc, reduced engine power and service transmission. Tried a second time and it just continued to automatically try and  start eventually it killed itself I couldn't stop it from trying to start .....no idea what the hell is going on. I didn't smell any fuel maybe it's not receiving any. It sounded horrible. Any ideas?

Be your throttle body. Had the same thing happen to my 5.3. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Collapsed lifter? Broken push rod?

 

When you have a major emissions failure, it will not run to protect itself from further damage.

So delt with engine bay components. The only thing I've done to the truck was a muffler swap. Hopefully they don't get pissy about that. Truck has 22k

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Chevysousa said:

So delt with engine bay components. The only thing I've done to the truck was a muffler swap. Hopefully they don't get pissy about that. Truck has 22k

Sorry, in this case an emissions failure would be something in the valve train, should be fine with the muffler.

 

Do you have a CEL present?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Sorry, in this case an emissions failure would be something in the valve train, should be fine with the muffler.

 

Do you have a CEL present?

Sorry I'm unaware of what a cel is. And truck is currently at dealer. Basically it would high idle and die. Sounded absolutely horrible.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Chevysousa said:

Sorry I'm unaware of what a cel is. And truck is currently at dealer. Basically it would high idle and die. Sounded absolutely horrible.

Check Engine Light: See the source image

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry not trying to be that obnoxious, must have hit enter.

 

It shows up every time you start the truck, will stay on if you have a problem. Codes thrown, things not right.... 

Edited by JimCost2014
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Sorry not trying to be that obnoxious, must have hit enter.

 

It shows up every time you start the truck, will stay on if you have a problem. Codes thrown, things not right right.... 

Yeah i couldn't really tell because it wouldn't last to start up. But I'm assuming it was up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Chevysousa said:

What was wrong with it? Truck has 20k only mod done was a muffler swap .

It just failed, they first thought it was the foot position sensor. Replaced foot pedal, drove 20kms same thing happened. Replaced throttle body never looked back. 

Edited by jasnak
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Chevysousa said:

Yeah i couldn't really tell because it wouldn't last to start up. But I'm assuming it was up.

Makes sense, especially if it only runs for a few seconds, would be hard to see if it were on.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd unhook the battery and put a trickle charger on it until it's fully charged. Hook the battery back up and see if the issue persists. When these batteries get low the trucks start doing funny things! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Forum Statistics

    238.7k
    Total Topics
    1.4m
    Total Posts
  • Member Statistics

    286,646
    Total Members
    8,960
    Most Online
    NRodvold
    Newest Member
    NRodvold
    Joined
  • Who's Online   3 Members, 0 Anonymous, 325 Guests (See full list)



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.