Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Recommended Posts

So I was browsing around and saw this feature for a bed view camera. But that view doesn’t seem to be available on my Sierra (2019 AT4 with the rear view camera surround view etc).

 

Is this 2020+ only? Anyone know if it involves a second third brake light camera or if it’s a software thing only?

 

First GMC and I’m very unused to every year having dramatically different features than that last it’s quite confusing haha.

 

Hopefully this new computer system gets cracked open soon and all these year to year features and restrictions can be updated coded in easily enough like you can on most makes haha ( still can’t figure out for the life of me what the difference is with the trailer camera side mirrors and my surround camera mirrors that allows you to use the cameras as trailer mirror views lol )

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, killramos said:

So I was browsing around and saw this feature for a bed view camera. But that view doesn’t seem to be available on my Sierra (2019 AT4 with the rear view camera surround view etc).

 

Is this 2020+ only? Anyone know if it involves a second third brake light camera or if it’s a software thing only?

 

First GMC and I’m very unused to every year having dramatically different features than that last it’s quite confusing haha.

 

Hopefully this new computer system gets cracked open soon and all these year to year features and restrictions can be updated coded in easily enough like you can on most makes haha ( still can’t figure out for the life of me what the difference is with the trailer camera side mirrors and my surround camera mirrors that allows you to use the cameras as trailer mirror views lol )

It is a separate camera on the 2020's. I think you can order a part with the extra camera in it. Not sure, tho. I will say, it has been very useful to have a bed camera. I have used it a lot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chukronos said:

It is a separate camera on the 2020's. I think you can order a part with the extra camera in it. Not sure, tho. I will say, it has been very useful to have a bed camera. I have used it a lot. 

Interesting. I agree it would be great to check on your load with the camera. It’s so funny the number of cameras GM is packing into these things.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/5/2020 at 9:51 PM, killramos said:

So I was browsing around and saw this feature for a bed view camera. But that view doesn’t seem to be available on my Sierra (2019 AT4 with the rear view camera surround view etc).

 

Is this 2020+ only? Anyone know if it involves a second third brake light camera or if it’s a software thing only?

 

First GMC and I’m very unused to every year having dramatically different features than that last it’s quite confusing haha.

 

Hopefully this new computer system gets cracked open soon and all these year to year features and restrictions can be updated coded in easily enough like you can on most makes haha ( still can’t figure out for the life of me what the difference is with the trailer camera side mirrors and my surround camera mirrors that allows you to use the cameras as trailer mirror views lol )

I almost bought a 2019 but after finding out the 2020's were the only ones with the bed view and the adaptive cruise control I made a switch. I would assume if you wanted to upgrade to the third brake light bed view camera you would have to run a wire from the third brake light to the infotainment system. Good luck.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, texas4ever said:

I almost bought a 2019 but after finding out the 2020's were the only ones with the bed view and the adaptive cruise control I made a switch. I would assume if you wanted to upgrade to the third brake light bed view camera you would have to run a wire from the third brake light to the infotainment system. Good luck.

Yea I was on the limit between a 2020 and 2019. End of the day the new toys were not worth the 20k discount off the 2019 I got versus no incentives on 20’s.

 

20k buys a lot of upgrades haha. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a nice to have thing, but not a have to thing, IMO anyway. 

 

Would I choose it as a yes or no? Of course. It's very convenient. But for me, unless I'm hauling a big load I'm going to be looking at the top of my Retrax bed cover. So there's that.

 

Big question is, can you add if yours don't have it? And can you do it at reasonable cost?  For those that just have to have more gadgets, ok. But I guess the tech stuff is still all sorta new for me coming out of a 2010 GMC Sierra 1500. That truck was a Flinstone mobile in comparison to the 2020 Denali. Except I could buy a Diablo tune for the 2010....darn it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
So I was browsing around and saw this feature for a bed view camera. But that view doesn’t seem to be available on my Sierra (2019 AT4 with the rear view camera surround view etc).  

Is this 2020+ only? Anyone know if it involves a second third brake light camera or if it’s a software thing only?

 

First GMC and I’m very unused to every year having dramatically different features than that last it’s quite confusing haha.

 

Hopefully this new computer system gets cracked open soon and all these year to year features and restrictions can be updated coded in easily enough like you can on most makes haha ( still can’t figure out for the life of me what the difference is with the trailer camera side mirrors and my surround camera mirrors that allows you to use the cameras as trailer mirror views lol )

 

So my 2020 AT4 has the bed view camera. 

There was another post on here from a user that wanted to purchase this light/camera package. Little steep on the price, I think around $1100.

 

It comes with the rear view mirror as well as the third brake light with two cameras. 1 camera for the bed view and then 1 camera for the rear view mirror.

 

I have found it to be nice when loading material in the back and making sure it stays.

 

I'll try to link to the post...

 

966e4637750170c1664708c151f82c87.jpg

 

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, killramos said:

Cool, 

 

I agree it’s not needed but would be a nice to have when hauling a varied load in the bed on the highway

Your traditional side mirrors will always let you know when you have "lost" something from the bed....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting!  Does anyone know if bed view camera displays on rear view mirror or radio? I did upgrade to the rearview mirror cam and love it, may have to research the wiring harness for bed view cam.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Interesting!  Does anyone know if bed view camera displays on rear view mirror or radio? I did upgrade to the rearview mirror cam and love it, may have to research the wiring harness for bed view cam.
The bed view displays on your radio like when you reverse. I will try and take some pictures when I get home of the views.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Link to post
Share on other sites
Ok Thank You!!
I forgot I took a picture of the view when we did a home project a weekend or two ago. Let me know if you need more :)28b4e5e907f8a01c8ff7b1efa2ded17d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/8/2020 at 11:44 PM, JimCost2014 said:

Your traditional side mirrors will always let you know when you have "lost" something from the bed....

And the vehicle behind you that it hit!

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Dani2005 said:

I forgot I took a picture of the view when we did a home project a weekend or two ago. Let me know if you need more :)28b4e5e907f8a01c8ff7b1efa2ded17d.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
 

looks like maybe that yukon to the right rear of you is missing a door?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.