Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Input on Stillen CAI scoop


Recommended Posts

Im on the verge on buying this but at $200 of plastic isnt getting to me that it will make any performance gains. For the ones who has bought it, was it worth it and can you tell me your first hand experience after installed ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 808 HI said:

Im on the verge on buying this but at $200 of plastic isnt getting to me that it will make any performance gains. For the ones who has bought it, was it worth it and can you tell me your first hand experience after installed ?

Never heard of this before. Just went to their website. Seems like a very nice product. I might have to grab me when "whenever" my S & B intake comes in. Been over 2 weeks since I ordered it on realtrucks.com.  Let me know if you get one and how you like it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, TNTSilverado said:

Never heard of this before. Just went to their website. Seems like a very nice product. I might have to grab me when "whenever" my S & B intake comes in. Been over 2 weeks since I ordered it on realtrucks.com.  Let me know if you get one and how you like it. 

I like the design and what its meant for but at $200 im not sure if im just buying the name or if its really useful when it comes to daily driving. Would like to pair this with my aFe intake if theres performance benefits. Waiting on people who has this for input. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Install is easy,  they say on the site that it won’t work with the aero shutters. I have them on mine and it worked just fine, the shutters just close at about 55mph from what I could find. I put roughly 500 interstate miles on the truck the day I installed it(7/5/2020),  and couldn’t really tell a difference. Today I removed the top left and top right shutters and it felt like it had a little more pep on the interstate. To remove the two shutters I gently bowed them and worked them out with the intake in place. It would be much easier when the intake is not in.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Presley said:

Install is easy,  they say on the site that it won’t work with the aero shutters. I have them on mine and it worked just fine, the shutters just close at about 55mph from what I could find. I put roughly 500 interstate miles on the truck the day I installed it(7/5/2020),  and couldn’t really tell a difference. Today I removed the top left and top right shutters and it felt like it had a little more pep on the interstate. To remove the two shutters I gently bowed them and worked them out with the intake in place. It would be much easier when the intake is not in.

Could you be more specific on the aero shutters?? I have a 2019 High Country, would it have them? What do they look like.  Thanks 

Edited by TNTSilverado
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, TNTSilverado said:

Could you be more specific on the aero shutters?? I have a 2019 High Country, would it have them? What do they look like.  Thanks 

Here is a picture of a broken one I found online. They are located just behind the grill. Stillen says it won’t work if you have them, but my truck says otherwise ? I just had to remove the top left and top right shutters 

4027717C-215D-4FE2-84DB-7979E001C813.png

Edited by Presley
Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, Presley said:

Here is a picture of a broken one I found online. They are located just behind the grill. Stillen says it won’t work if you have them, but my truck says otherwise ? I just had to remove the top left and top right shutters 

4027717C-215D-4FE2-84DB-7979E001C813.png

Gotcha. I researched them also. Thanks for the picture.  Much appreciated!  Going to check in the morning if I have them on my truck.  The more I look at this Stillen, the more I'm going to get it.   Take care 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Presley said:

Install is easy,  they say on the site that it won’t work with the aero shutters. I have them on mine and it worked just fine, the shutters just close at about 55mph from what I could find. I put roughly 500 interstate miles on the truck the day I installed it(7/5/2020),  and couldn’t really tell a difference. Today I removed the top left and top right shutters and it felt like it had a little more pep on the interstate. To remove the two shutters I gently bowed them and worked them out with the intake in place. It would be much easier when the intake is not in.

Would u say it was worth the $200? Or would u rather have gotten something else worthy?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, 808 HI said:

Would u say it was worth the $200? Or would u rather have gotten something else worthy?

Honestly I’m not sure yet, still to early to tell. But I don’t regret it. I just got it on this Sunday and removed two shutters before coming to work tonight. Looking at it it could use some black duck tape to make the hole where the latch comes through smaller. Stillen could make the piece cover that hole better, but some good black tape will work for now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, Presley said:

Honestly I’m not sure yet, still to early to tell. But I don’t regret it. I just got it on this Sunday and removed two shutters before coming to work tonight. Looking at it it could use some black duck tape to make the hole where the latch comes through smaller. Stillen could make the piece cover that hole better, but some good black tape will work for now.

Thanks ?. Need more input like this. Just dont wanna blow $$$ on a name brand plastic cover that will look nice under the hood if thats all its gonna give me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guys, I imagine I'll take heat for this but bolt on components like this on a big brick of a pig truck like we have are exercises in futility.  You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig.  There is VERY MINIMAL performance gains from nonsense like this.  It's a damn pickup with a boring engine(s).  They're not made to perform as some are hoping....  Flame suit on.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Jmonty said:

I emailed them to see if it was compatible with the AT4 with no response? I also have the Rotofab CAI and have been very happy with it.

Yeah, I’ve emailed them before and some days they would respond fairly quick, and others they took a bit. I think they are at minimum staff with all that’s going on. I would imagine that it would work, just check online/ get in touch with a dealership and compare the Silverado factory piece to the to the gmc factory piece and check the part numbers on them.

Edited by Presley
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, rikhek said:

Guys, I imagine I'll take heat for this but bolt on components like this on a big brick of a pig truck like we have are exercises in futility.  You can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig.  There is VERY MINIMAL performance gains from nonsense like this.  It's a damn pickup with a boring engine(s).  They're not made to perform as some are hoping....  Flame suit on.

LOL!!! Too funny!!!  My "boring" 6.2L is a rocket ship for a pickup truck. It has taken down many mustangs, camaros, a tuned Impala SS, and many ecoboost Furds, plus it can tow my boat to a lake. Now tell me how that is boring? 

 

When I had my 06 Trailblazer SS, there was nothing better than having 4 or 5 people in the vehicle, pulling up to a stop sign, and seeing some young "punk" kid in a mustang wanting to race, thinking his 4.6L was fast. Then mashing the gas pedal, letting the AWD and LS2 do the work and then seeing "him" in my rear view mirror.  It was always priceless. This new 6.2L and 10 speed combo is even more lethal. Any" performance gain", even if it's "minimal" is better than nothing at all.

 

Looking at your avatar, (which is a very nice looking corvette!) you would take any additional performance gain you could get whether it was minimal or not.   Also, not attacking you, just found it very comical! Take care 

 

This is basically a cold air induction that comes from the grill instead of the hood. It's the same concept? Why wouldn't it benefit OUR trucks? 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

TNTSilverado,

 

I see you got yourself one of them thar' rocket ship race pickups!  You must have gotten a factory unicorn as the power to weight ratio on these large bricks, even with the 6.2L aren't generally considered exciting.  I imagine you also have straight pipes on it to make it even faster AND louder?

 

Regarding performance and your comment that any performance gain, even if it's minimal is better than nothing is inconsistent with performance minded individuals.  You really need to consider the price you're paying for increased performance.  Installing a $3,000 thingamajig that results in a 4 hp/5 LB-FT gain on a 4,500 lb vehicle with 420HP/460lb-ft stock is a waste of money and effort.  Remember, as ludicrous as the example offered is, you're the one that said "any" gain...

 

Seeing you get your thrills street racing teenagers in clapped out Mustangs and family hauler SUV's against your rocket ship people movers loaded with passengers I can appreciate your lack of understanding of the concept I subscribe.

 

Also, in terms of performance vehicles your 6.2L pickup truck is boring.  Beating a "tuned" Impala SS does little to get my juices flowing.  If you're 16 to 18 years old that would explain the position you espouse.  Go get em' tiger!

Edited by rikhek
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.