In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Input on Stillen CAI scoop

25 minutes ago, rikhek said:

Where did I state I own a Corvette?  What makes you think I'm lost in Corvette heaven.  Again, I never mentioned the word Corvette in ANY of my posts to this thread.  Seems like you really have a hard on for this Corvette thing just because there is a picture of a Corvette as my Avatar.  If I had a picture of 

Too bad we can't have a little friendly banter without you taking it personnel.  I, nor anyone else that disagrees with you, resorted to childish name calling.  We're just having a fun back and forth discussion and you resort to name calling.  You've called me and others who disagree with you the following names instead of just having fun with the conversation/argument and letting facts support your position:

- Little fella

- Mr. Sarcastic

- Buckwheat

- Mr. Highroller

- Silly Little Boy

You sir, are hard to figure out...  You might take a deep breath, relax and have a little fun.  Life doesn't have to be so miserable.

Here is your post from the "Yellow Silverado's":

I despise the fact that 99% of the vehicles on the road are just so DAMN boring.  I feel like I'm living in a monochromatic world of boring people.  The world and our nations highways and byways need more vehicles that POP with loud, bright and emotion generating colors.

I can't stand the constant parade of nearly ALL vehicles that are either:

1. White

2. Black

3. Silver/Gray

I realize it's not a truck but here's my prior car that I think was stunning in yellow/black.  My current one as depicted in my avatar is red as I can't stand the dull, pastel and matte looking "Racing Yellow" they offered when I bought the red one.  My C8 Z06 will be ordered in black but I'll have it wrapped in Kawasaki MX racing green the day I take delivery.  Similar to the green one depicted below.  The last pic is a full on picture of my current red/black car.  I be lovin' me some POP!!!

LIFE IS TOO SHORT FOR BORING COLORS/CARS/TRUCKS!!!

And yes, I'm a bit of a hypocrite in that my daily driver is a black AT4.  IMHO, it was the best looking color offered on the AT4

I KNEW you wouldn't be able to let it go.  FWIW, I'm well aware of what I typed in that post as I'm the one who typed it.  My point is in this thread I NEVER mentioned anything or typed the word Corvette.  You somehow brought my ownership of a different car into the conversation to make some kind of correlation and then called me names for owning such a car.

I'm still puzzled by what car I own has to do with the topic currently being discussed.  Somehow you thought an unrelated post had relevance to this topic.  Whatever, enjoy your rocket ship as I'll be enjoying my real rocket ship!?  I wonder if you'll go back and research other prior postings to identify the numerous other cars I own despite the fact that they also have nothing to do with the current conversation.  

Edited by rikhek

1 hour ago, rikhek said:

I KNEW you wouldn't be able to let it go.  FWIW, I'm well aware of what I typed in that post as I'm the one who typed it.  My point is in this thread I NEVER mentioned anything or typed the word Corvette.  You somehow brought my ownership of a different car into the conversation to make some kind of correlation and then called me names for owning such a car.

I'm still puzzled by what car I own has to do with the topic currently being discussed.  Somehow you thought an unrelated post had relevance to this topic.  Whatever, enjoy your rocket ship as I'll be enjoying my real rocket ship!?  I wonder if you'll go back and research other prior postings to identify the numerous other cars I own despite the fact that they also have nothing to do with the current conversation.  

Man you just can't let it go.  Move on with it.  I proved that you owned a dang Corvette. You acted like you didnt.  What's all the hush, hush about?

If you would read for comprehension clear back in my first post I stated you should appreciate HP/TQ gains because you own a performance car which is a Corvette.    Again, please reread my posts for comprehension.  

You totally missed the whole concept of what I was stating.  The new 2019/2020 T1 trucks with the LT1 6.2L is truly performance truck in it's own right without being marked as "a performance truck"  

This truck. Or my truck which I own 1 can beat many 90s v8 muscle cars, many mid 2000 muscle cars because of the performance it offers from a 5500lb truck.  That's why I called it a rocket ship because of its shear size, it moves.....something I guess again you can't grasp!

I also mentioned that these new trucks are harder to tune, so ANY gain of HP/TQ that we as consumers can get out of them without throwing down HUGE $$ is a plus for us.

Is there anything else you would like to discuss or for me to clarify since you really failed to understand me the first time??? 

How about you take your Corvette for a drive, watch the movie Frozen and LET IT GO!!  

Go day 

Edited by TNTSilverado

5 hours ago, Gangly said:

Funny, a performance enthusiast knocking another individual who enjoys performance as well.  Regarding "Performance Minded Individuals", some people need a truck first and performance second so they are "ceiling limited" to start with, but that doesn't mean he cant be a performance minded individual and there is no reason to discourage somebody from spending THEIR money on THEIR likes. 

Performance minded individuals like all different makes and models of cars.  That kid who spends $1,000 on a set of headers for a 1996 Honda Civic and gains maybe 3 hp is still a performance enthusiast, he's just limited by his platform, due to some reason, and that's ok.  That's the beauty of the auto world, doing things your own way, making your own choices, and getting your hands dirty in the process.  The 19/20 Silverado platform is limited right now due to the PCM, so there really isn't a lot that can be done, performance wise, that is truly a "value" in the traditional sense.  Not everybody has a designated performance car platform to work with, and I'm super glad to see that people are still trying to mod this platform, regardless of the limitations.  Everyone doesn't have to own a Corvette to be considered an auto enthusiast, or to be allowed to modify a vehicle for performance.  To be honest, most Corvette owners don't know their head from a hole in the ground when it comes to performance and value, and couldn't row through a 6-spd if they wanted too.  Otherwise they would have purchased a Camaro to start with and saved $20K+ for mods (through 2019, the 2020 mid-engine "Vette is a game changer).  Most (not all) own Corvettes as a status symbol of success, or as an image enhancer, and that's perfectly fine since it's their money and they are free spend their money however they see fit, but they are FAR from performance minded individuals. 

Being a performance minded individual isn't about the car you own or the mods you do, its a mindset you have and a desire to increase a vehicles parameters outside of the manufacturers intended design.

Let him enjoy the fruits of his labor any way he chooses to and wait until your asked before starting to opine on his fiscal choices and the reasoning behind them.

Man its crazy how far this thread got off topic. I actually opened it to see what people thought of the Stillen product. Then I found myself relating to all sides of the topic. I previously felt the same way about corvettes and that they were over priced for performance. But the weight difference between a corvette and a camaro gives the corvette a good half second advantage in the 1/4 right off the bat not to mention it gets better traction because of the near 50/50 weight ratio. And heck you can buy a loaded out camaro that costs well over the price of a corvette. So the price vs performance is not as big a gap as you would think. Which is originally what this whole debate was about.

I fall in the camp spend your money anyway you want. I own a corvette and yes its fast (950 hp) but I drive my truck 90% of the time so why not buy the biggest engine and silly little upgrades to make it as quick as I can. I just hopped up the motor in my golf cart to make it faster just because its makes me smile to push on the gas pedal of most anything I drive and "feel the need for speed". 

Edited by Car Dude
  • Like 2

For the ones actually on looking for information on the product I am happy with it. The 6.2 picks up a little better on the interstate. As far as gains it’s not much. You can’t tell at lower speeds. Not sure why gm didn’t do it in the first place on gas trucks, they have something similar on the diesel trucks 

• Like 2

On 7/8/2020 at 9:35 AM, Presley said:

Yeah, I’ve emailed them before and some days they would respond fairly quick, and others they took a bit. I think they are at minimum staff with all that’s going on. I would imagine that it would work, just check online/ get in touch with a dealership and compare the Silverado factory piece to the to the gmc factory piece and check the part numbers on them.

It has been about 6 weeks?

16 hours ago, Car Dude said:

I fall in the camp spend your money anyway you want. I own a corvette and yes its fast (950 hp) but I drive my truck 90% of the time so why not buy the biggest engine and silly little upgrades to make it as quick as I can. I just hopped up the motor in my golf cart to make it faster just because its makes me smile to push on the gas pedal of most anything I drive and "feel the need for speed". 

BINGO.

Regarding bang for buck, I was mentally comparing a ZL1 1LE to a corvette ?

I've owned Corvette's and F-Bodies, and the corvettes are much more polished in my opinion, but the guts are essentially the same up until 2020.  Every performance car has its place in a garage though.....as long as its GM ?

• 2 months later...

I too came here to discover if the Stillen Scoop was worth the $200 price tag and didn't really learn much about it but have been entertained nonetheless by the thread.

Cool air is a must for HP increases in a normally aspirated engine. ALL normally aspirated engines perform better in the cooler months of the year, that is a given! Although Stillen hasn't given any claims or Dyno results on their website, it only stands to reason that the scoop will do as advertised. I know a guy who builds and sells a simple mod for  2-stroke Mercury outboard engine covers which allows for more air to be forced in from the front instead of the rear. Although the gains are very minimal, people snatch this thing up as fast as he can build them. All motors, stock or modded are limited to how much air they can ingest and expel. Without modifying these aspects do not expect that ANY bolt on aftermarket part is going to give you any real noticeable gains. Of course a supercharger/turbo are the exception here but don't expect a stock motor to last long without modding the internals as well, but it wouldn't be normally aspirated or stock then would it??? LOL

These new 5.3/6.0 motors are not so different than previous GM offerings. GM has had small blocks producing well over 300 HP, and big-blocks well over 400 HP off the assembly line since the 60s. Where these new generations differ and performance increases come from is the new 8/10 speed transmissions. No motor is worth a dime without a way to put the power to the ground. Think of a 80 HP diesel farm tractor. It's gearing is what allows it to pull a load that no stock pickup could ever pull. Many farm tractors from even the 60s have a transmission not only with multiple speeds but multiple gear ranges which allow it to put most of the engine HP to the ground with minimal loss that even an 8/10 speed transmission still cannot do. Most new vehicles lose 20%-25% of available HP by the time it reaches the ground. I have been saying for many years that until manufacturers create a transmission with more than 4/5 speeds that vehicle performance would not change.

Case in point: Ford Explorer ST (3.0L) vs. Dodge Durango SRT 8. After the Explorer had the tune completed it walks off and leaves the V8 even though the tune brings the little 3.0L up to near 500 HP the 392 Hemi is at 485 as well. What is everyones opinion as to what made the difference?? By the way I just got rid of a 2020 Explorer, why? Transmission issues with only 14K miles????

• 2 weeks later...

So what I'm getting from all this is that the grill shudders are close to the grill, and with them shut they hinder cold air into the grill and that hinders cold air to the top of the grill and prevents as much cold air getting over to the intake inlet.  I don't think the shudders can be removed or held open with out getting a ses light.  So maybe with a little effort and very minimal money, the shudders could be set back closer to the radiator letting more air in and actually making a difference in cold air and performance. Just a thought, maybe it won't work, and obviously to some it doesn't matter on a truck, I get that.   But,  that's how I like to mess with things.  Minimal money for the gain.  

• 1 month later...

Installed Stillen and I feel the cold dense air has increased my gas mileage. I diid clearance the Stillen around the center actuators on shutters. Also clearance both right and left top shutter where the 2 vertical supports are on the Stillen. Was making noise good now.  

8 hours ago, hdbrad said:

Installed Stillen and I feel the cold dense air has increased my gas mileage. I diid clearance the Stillen around the center actuators on shutters. Also clearance both right and left top shutter where the 2 vertical supports are on the Stillen. Was making noise good now.  

Can you post some pictures of where you trimmed by any chance? I have the same Stillen scoop installed with 6.2 and shutters and I am getting a knocking sound when slowing down or slow speeds sometimes and think it’s interfering with the shutters. Thanks and hope to see where I can make some adjustments to get rid of this sound.