L83 SWAP TO L86 Anyone done it?

I really want the L86 motor in my truck but i'm currently stuck with the L83. Has anyone done a successful swap of these 2 motors? I'm curious what all would need to be modified or changed out as well. other than the obvious ECM/PCM. but Would the 6 speed be useable or would I need to swap out for a 10 speed?

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Snowcamo said:

X2 anyone have a link to someone who has? 

Side note: i was just wondering what ever happened with this swap.

I’ve talk to a guy that has swapped from the 5.3 to the 6.2 It was done on single cab, not sure what transmission he had but he said it was a big upgrade everything was plug and play. Dude isn’t on here one of my customers from California.

The 6 speed can more than handle the 6.2. They had them from the factory in 2014 and all the years prior in the older gen trucks.

The trick for part of this is getting the right year as a few things did change. I know for sure the connector for part of the high pressure fuel system changed after 2016. So if you had a 2016-2018, find a 2016+ 6.2 for a plug and play deal.

All someone should have to do for the tune is copy over 6.2 data into the 5.3 file to make it run as if it were that way from the factory.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

The 6 speed can more than handle the 6.2. They had them from the factory in 2014 and all the years prior in the older gen trucks.

The trick for part of this is getting the right year as a few things did change. I know for sure the connector for part of the high pressure fuel system changed after 2016. So if you had a 2016-2018, find a 2016+ 6.2 for a plug and play deal.

All someone should have to do for the tune is copy over 6.2 data into the 5.3 file to make it run as if it were that way from the factory.

Might be one of my future upgrades ?

I’ve talk to a guy that has swapped from the 5.3 to the 6.2 It was done on single cab, not sure what transmission he had but he said it was a big upgrade everything was plug and play. Dude isn’t on here one of my customers from California.
Right on bro. I cant wait till i get mine going. I'm gonna find a 2 for deal and throw the other in my Lark

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks Cam!

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, flyingfool said:

i'd be more interested in the stroker 6.6 swap into a 5.3 or smaller truck, torque is KING when it comes to the street and hauling stuff

That sounds more expensive ? im not even gonna look til I’m ready to buy otherwise I end up buying it, I hate passing up on a good deal. 

1 hour ago, flyingfool said:

i'd be more interested in the stroker 6.6 swap into a 5.3 or smaller truck, torque is KING when it comes to the street and hauling stuff

6.6 doesnt have anymore torque.

it’s the 6.2 with lower compression and an iron block for longevity, they only increased the displacement to compensate for the power loss.

I’d rather have the l86 personally

I am waiting for somebody to do the swap and writeup the details. Now that prices for k2xx are dropping, It’s only a matter of time until we see some highly modified vehicles with swaps. I badly want to build an awd rcsb 6.2

Edited by truckguy82
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

6.6 doesnt have anymore torque.

it’s the 6.2 with lower compression and an iron block for longevity, they only increased the displacement to compensate for the power loss.

I’d rather have the l86 personally

Swap in different pistons and heads, plus I imagine they left a lot of power on the table. The 6.0 was 50 rwhp short of what it can do.

To the op, you have a great motor on your hands, why not make it a stroker? Cheaper and you'll make more power then a stock 6.2.