Hydroplaning on OEM 22" wheels/tires

Holy $h/t.... had a wild ride yesterday for the first time in fairly heavy rain.  I knew it was heavy water and was driving an appropriate speed for the weather, but almost lost the front end...twice!  Stock 22's with the OEM Bridgestones with 20k miles on them, so plenty of tread left.  Is this normal?  I'm coming off driving Michelin LTX's (on 16" rims) for the last 20 years, and never had any issues like this.  Is this normal for 22's, or just this tire?

Edited by Teutonics

1 hour ago, lonestardiver said:

Probably the tire.

Tire compound, tread style, and siping are all factors as well as the tread depth.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking/hoping, but was wondering if anyone else has had the same experience.  If it's just the tire that's easily remedied at next tire purchase (which may be sooner than required now!), but if it's a rim size/sidewall stiffness issue or something else that gets a little more pricey.  I was considering moving to 20's (or even 18's) next time to get a little more sidewall, but if hydroplaning tendency increases with rim size that would also add weight to the changeover decision.

I know hydroplaning is a speed issue, but I was intentionally limiting speed to within what was acceptable and reasonable from experience with my prior vehicle(s).  It was just shocking in this instance at how easily the front end broke loose at such a low speed (40-45mph or so).  It could also be that it's a much lighter vehicle (1/2 ton vs 1 ton) with a much larger contact patch.

Edited by Teutonics

2 hours ago, Teutonics said:

Holy $h/t.... had a wild ride yesterday for the first time in fairly heavy rain.  I knew it was heavy water and was driving an appropriate speed for the weather, but almost lost the front end...twice!  Stock 22's with the OEM Bridgestones with 20k miles on them, so plenty of tread left.  Is this normal?  I'm coming off driving Michelin LTX's (on 16" rims) for the last 20 years, and never had any issues like this.  Is this normal for 22's, or just this tire?

My money is on the tires, just went past 28000 miles on my factory Bridgestone's, and am debating on replacing them before winter.

They still have about half tread left, but they are just plain terrible on wet pavement.

Do you have the H/L, or A/T's?

Adding the amount of water you are trying to drive through as a factor.

Bridgestones seem to have a harder compound for longer tread life but that can adversely affect traction. Hence the moniker “rides like a stone”.

Goodyears seem to have a softer compound “good for a year”.

Rim size should have nothing to do with it. In the end, the overall tire diameter and circumference should be similar. Now if you have to air down as if you are driving on sand then the smaller diameter rim will be to your advantage.

This is my 2nd truck with Bridgestones and I have no problems with rain and snow.  Speed is probably they main factor although I am sure those with complaints will not likely admit to that.   I have drive in 3 winters where our average snowfall is over 200 inches, no problems. 

15 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

My money is on the tires, just went past 28000 miles on my factory Bridgestone's, and am debating on replacing them before winter.

They still have about half tread left, but they are just plain terrible on wet pavement.

Do you have the H/L, or A/T's?

Dueler A/T 285/45-22's.  I'm thinking the "plain terrible on wet pavement" is probably right!

1 minute ago, elcamino said:

This is my 2nd truck with Bridgestones and I have no problems with rain and snow.  Speed is probably they main factor although I am sure those with complaints will not likely admit to that.   I have drive in 3 winters where our average snowfall is over 200 inches, no problems. 

Agreed that hydroplaning results from too much speed for the given tire and conditions... nothing really to admit there since it's plain physics.  Was I driving faster than what the tires would allow... obviously yes, but in my 40+ years of driving I have NEVER had a front end break loose so easily at such a low speed.  I'll adjust accordingly from now on, but I only posted because it was so unusual and to see if this was common experience with larger rims or these tires, since both are the new variables for me.

Snow on the other hand, these tire were great...

7 minutes ago, Teutonics said:

Dueler A/T 285/45-22's.  I'm thinking the "plain terrible on wet pavement" is probably right!

Same as mine, have never hydroplaned with them, but trying to get moving from a dead stop in the rain can be challenging.

Where are you located? By some of the comments, looks like you can drive in 200 inches of snow with them. 

I recall some years ago a friend spun out on snow covered roads and ended up in the snowbank and had to call a wrecker.  Coplyyss showed up, tow trucks won't hook up unless police there (liability, impaired driver, possible property damage etc)  and he said his tires let him down, cops ticketed him for "driving to fast for conditions".   

Sometime the blacktop roads develop ruts in the lanes from wear so you can end up with up to several inches of standing water in one area and very little in another are.  Motorcyclists fear those conditions.

• Like 1