In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

2015 GMC Sierra Reverse Camera error 'Service Rear Vison System'

I own a 2015 GMC Sierra SLT Z71. When I put my truck in reverse, the reverse camera that pops up in the dashboard (the 8" touch screen) is black and says 'Service Rear Vison System'. Does anyone know how to fix this issue?

It should be noted that I have not been in any accidents, have not replaced the rear reverse lights or head lights. I do have a LED brake light-bar underneath the tailgate that is plugged into the tow hitch on the truck. I have had the brake light-bar on the truck for almost 6 months now so I don't think that is the issue. 

20200707_192727.jpg

Edited by Greg ***
typo

• 4 weeks later...

****FIXED****

So it ended up being the actual camera itself. I ordered the camera off of Ebay for around $160. It was an exact fit to the factory wire harness (plug in). The actual camera fit perfectly into the factory mounts in the tailgate handle. I'll include a photo of the camera I purchased on Ebay. The dealer wanted $150 just to pull my truck into the bay and look at it. So I hope this helps someone out in the future if they have the same issue.

Screenshot_20200813-180745_eBay.jpg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By qoconnell
      This is my first post so sorry if I’m all over the place. I’ve had my 2014 Sierra slt for about two years now. I got it with 116k miles and I’m at about 174k right now. Since the day I’ve bought the truck it’s been nothing but issues. You name it, it’s happened. Four separate water leaks (sunroof, gps antenna, third brake light, and cab vents), 2 transfer case control modules, problems with the power steering going out, brakes going out at low speeds. A couple of months ago my transmission went out and it also needed various other repairs totaling over $20k. Now my park assist sensors don’t work, my rear doors don’t open from the inside and also don’t lock from the outside, reverse lights and camera don’t work, and it constantly dings at me to service my trailer brake system (seriously, it chimes at me about every two seconds as I’m going down the road, telling me to service the trailer brakes). I’ve gone through and checked every ground I can find and nothing helps. Today I went through every single fuse and relay in the truck. I found a couple of blown fuses and replaced as needed, but still no change. I’m at a loss for what to do at this point as I’m stuck with the truck after all the money I’ve sunk into it. Does anybody maybe have any solutions to any of these problems? I’m desperate for answers, anything helps.
    • By koconnor1822
      The head unit will remain black, can't connect to Bluetooth, use the radio, see anything...but when I put it in reverse the back up cam works everytime!! I know if it'll work or not after I close my driver door, of the "splash screen" doesn't show up it will remain black when I turn on my truck and as I said the back up cam will always work. It has progressively gotten worse, used to be very rare that it would stay black but now it's almost 100% of the time and literally 1/100 times it will work. ihave tried removing fuzes and plugging back in, removed the head unit and replaced with an OEM.. that did nothing. Tried unplugging battery and allowing to reset, gotten the latest software updates and still nothing!
       Hope someone can help it's driving me nuts! I love my truck but this ruins the experience especially on long rides. 
    • By Bazel
      I purchased my 2020, 2500 Duramax in September. I ordered it with the all of the trailering features.

I also ordered an auxiliary camera to attach my travel trailer, which I installed in November. 

It worked great for the first two months.

Six weeks ago it stopped working completely. 

I tried every combination of plugging and unplugging, cleaning connectors, switching between the interior and exterior jack.  

Finally, I removed it from the trailer and took it to a Chevy dealer.

They let me plug it into one of their trucks to see if it was the camera or my truck that was the issue.

The camera did not work on their truck either.

Chevy sent me a replacement camera under warranty, which I received last week.

After installing it, it worked great for two days, then stopped.

Has anyone else had similar problems?  

Thank You

• By ZeeDunny
      Just picked up a Denali Grille w/ camera and am wondering if anyone has done the install themselves and ran into any issues hooking up the camera? I’ve only seen a few videos online of the new body style sierra grille replacement but am unsure if the camera addition will give me any issues. All help appreciated!  

Will be posting before and after photos as well??
    • By FuzzyNuggets
      I own a 2020 trail boss and it boggles my mind that GM did not offer a front facing camera on their off-road purpose TrailBoss! Not only would it be great for parking but even more important when approaching off road obstacles. Does anyone make or have installed a front facing OEM style camera that integrates with the RPO code IOS 7” screen?