Potential new GM owner with questions.

Hi everyone and thanks for having me! My last two trucks were Ford F150s. It has been a few years since I owned a GM product.

I am looking at purchasing a 2018 Sierra 1500 with 22000 miles on it. It has the 5.3 engine and a six speed transmission.

It looks to be in pretty good condition with a few options. It was a rental vehicle for the first part of its life.

I am curious if there is anything I should look out for or questions I should ask the seller.

Thanks in advance!!

Edited by Bipolar
Wrong Year

Personally I wouldn’t buy a previous rental. Especially a truck. Even if it has a carfax you don’t really know what renters did with it. And most people who rent trucks aren’t truck owners, so they can do some pretty interesting stuff to them. I would def have a mechanic you trust look at it first. And DEFINITELY sit inside it with the windows closed for a few mins. I’ve been in used cars (and not always previous rentals) that when i closed the windows on the test drive one smelled like an ash tray and one smelled like a hockey locker room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Something to look at... Behind the bumper, frame and radiator. Rental companies are good at not reporting accidents and making repairs under the table of sorts. I have a friend thats a dealer and he says they dont report and just fix it to sell.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I would be a little fearful, because of the rental history, people drive them like they stole them.

You do still have the balance of the factory warranty, which is good, but like prior responses, really get it checked out.

Sometimes a "bargain" can cost you more in the long run rather than a normal deal.

Take it on a very long test drive, questions to the owner will all be "positive", he is trying to sell it, the test drive will tell you a lot.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Its on a dealer lot and it was originally a U-Haul. I believe U-Haul charges a substantial cleaning fee if you smoke in one of their vehicles.

They are asking $23000.00 Canadian which is a pretty good deal and I'm sure there is some wiggle room.

With 22000 miles on it it should not be too badly abused.

Its on a dealer lot and it was originally a U-Haul. I believe U-Haul charges a substantial cleaning fee if you smoke in one of their vehicles.
They are asking $23000.00 Canadian which is a pretty good deal and I'm sure there is some wiggle room.
With 22000 miles on it it should not be too badly abused.
See my comment please you will be mad it it has been wrecked in they did not claim it. These rental vehicles have issues and that's why they sell them. You may have come across a gym who knows but you really need to do a thorough look over before you buy it. telling you take it to a body shop or something and have them check it out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Snowcamo said:

See my comment please you will be mad it it has been wrecked in they did not claim it. These rental vehicles have issues and that's why they sell them. You may have come across a gym who knows but you really need to do a thorough look over before you buy it. telling you take it to a body shop or something and have them check it out.

I think they use the same protocol, miles, problems, and time in service, so they can be sold with a balance of the factory warranty.

I know how I drive rentals (not very mature), but when opportunity knocks, put the gas to the floor, mostly for research purposes of course....

• Like 2

I think they use the same protocol, miles, problems, and time in service, so they can be sold with a balance of the factory warranty.

I know how I drive rentals (not very mature), but when opportunity knocks, put the gas to the floor, mostly for research purposes of course....
Agreed they are great testers [emoji38]

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Snowcamo said:

Agreed they are great testers emoji38.png

Yes sir! Makes me feel like a Rocket Surgeon every time I rent a car.....  

Edited by JimCost2014
  • Like 2

The warranty start date was February 28 2018 so there is still 7 months bumper to bumper warranty on it.

If I decide to purchase it I was going to buy a one way ticket to Vancouver B.C. and drive it home.

If I test drive it and there were problems with it I would have to make my way home without it.

14 minutes ago, Bipolar said:

The warranty start date was February 28 2018 so there is still 7 months bumper to bumper warranty on it.

If I decide to purchase it I was going to buy a one way ticket to Vancouver B.C. and drive it home.

If I test drive it and there were problems with it I would have to make my way home without it.

That is a tough call, it kind of sounds like you are buying it for the price. Which can be very risky, it has a way of persuading you into thinking something is better than it really is.

Are there used 16 - 18 K2's in your area for the same price?

Either way, if you roll the dice, let us know how it goes, and post some "traveling" pictures if you buy it.

Edited by JimCost2014
  • Like 2

I have to be honest. I’d be MORE fearful of a former U-Haul than I would say something from Enterprise or Hertz. Which is what I was originally thinking when I still said I’d lean away from doing that. But with a former U-Hail, You can almost guarantee it’s been overloaded to haul and/or tow during that time.

Warranty’s are nice. But there’s tons of threads on here where even 1st owners get stuck with the bill for something they thought the warranty would cover. To me it’s too much of a risk esp since
You have to travel there to check it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk