adding OEM wireless charging pad to a 2019-2020 Silverado

I ended up installing the BoostAuotParts wireless charger over the weekend. Their install video was great. I suck at drilling plastic apparently. Luckily that's hidden and I was able to salvage with a file and razor blade. 

The only knock I have is that it resets/turns on every time the truck starts, including from the auto stop. So changing mode to mode 2 or turning it off is pointless until it's going to be sitting a while. I might put a switch on it.

BAPWCb.jpg

BAPWC.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2021 at 1:25 AM, Transient said:

Just got all the parts and will soon be joining the group of people that did the conversion

Good luck on the build.  I have ordered all the parts, except for the air duct (Part No. 23391625).  Where did you find that one?  Several dealers have told me that its on backorder with no available date, and have cancelled the order.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

Edited by Legal4u
Correction

18 hours ago, Legal4u said:

Good luck on the build.  I have ordered all the parts, except for the air duct (Part No. 23391625).  Where did you find that one?  Several dealers have told me that its on backorder with no available date, and have cancelled the order.  Any suggestions?  Thanks.

You probably don't need the air duct unless you live in death valley. I ran mine without duct and it wasnt bad.  It is actually a little tricky to get to where duct plugs into hvac.  you have to remove glove boxes.  Could try without and see if you feel charger getting overly hot.

On 7/24/2021 at 1:25 AM, Transient said:

Just got all the parts and will soon be joining the group of people that did the conversion

Would be great to see pictures of your install if you’re willing to post. Especially interested to see how you route the air duct if you decide to install it. 

Also what hardware you use to attach the charging module to the console. There are 4 screws shown that attach the charger tray but I see nothing in the schematic for attaching the charging module to the tray. Does it just rest in the tray without any screws?

On 7/26/2021 at 8:06 PM, Legal4u said:

The parts guy I use exclusively at the dealership by my house got it for me.  He knows not to cancel my orders. 

12 hours ago, Rally6.2RST said:

You probably don't need the air duct unless you live in death valley. I ran mine without duct and it wasnt bad.  It is actually a little tricky to get to where duct plugs into hvac.  you have to remove glove boxes.  Could try without and see if you feel charger getting overly hot.

I'm not too far away from Death Valley, and drive through the desert occasionally.  I'll let you know how it works out. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Z06JPB said:

Would be great to see pictures of your install if you’re willing to post. Especially interested to see how you route the air duct if you decide to install it. 

Also what hardware you use to attach the charging module to the console. There are 4 screws shown that attach the charger tray but I see nothing in the schematic for attaching the charging module to the tray. Does it just rest in the tray without any screws?

I'll post up what I find out when I get to doing this project.  I've had a lot going on with family, and it affected my health.  I'm getting over it now, but probably won't be able to tackle the project until this weekend.  Wife thinks I may have contracted COVID based on my symptoms.  She's an advanced practice nurse, and may actually know what she's talking about, lol.  It's been a fun debate of her demanding I get tested, and me telling her to pound sand.  I've done what I would do with any illness -- isolated myself, slept a lot via frequent dosing of nyquil, and remained hydrated.

I finally got around to doing this install today, and I'm going to have to do it again.  I blindly took the part numbers that were given in this thread and placed an order with my parts guy.  He got everything I asked for, but one of them doesn't work for me -- the wiring harness.  The harness I ordered doesn't have the connections for SD card reader, so I lost my factory navigation that I upgraded to and installed a few months ago.  Doing some research I found out there's about 4 or 5 different wire harnessed that got used in this area.  You either do have rear heated seats, or don't.  You either do have a wireless phone charger, or you don't.  But, there's nothing mentioned about the SD card in the bin under the armrest.  Finding the correct harness will take a little effort.  Fortunately, I love redundancies.  Not only do I have Android Auto to help me l navigate me, but a recent update from Chevy provided those without navigation a navigation system that doesn't require the SD card and programs module.  It's called Chevy Maps+.  Iirc, I found it in the marketplace where you can add other apps to your radio screen.  It's actually a pretty good navigation system, and gives those with IOS radios but not the fancy instrument cluster the speed limit of the road, and your speed, right there on the navigation screen.

Sorry about going off into left field there.  Back on topic....

This project is more fun than I cared for.  I'm debating whether or not I want to install the hvac tube, but that's minor compared to this project requiring the removal of the entire center console and the front passenger seat.  Yep, you read that right.  When I finally get the correct harness, and go to install it, I'll try to get a bunch of pics and do a write up, including what tools I use.  The good news there aren't many tools needed, and it's not a tough project.

As for questions about the charging module being secured, the answer is it just sits in the tray.  However, the tray gets secured to the top cover via screws underneath.  I just happened to have screws small enough and short enough sitting around that I was able to secure everything together. 

• Like 1

Update:  I definitely need to get the hvac tube installed.  Went 4 wheeling in the truck today.  Had my phone sitting in the charger for several hours.  It ended up getting hot, both my phone and the charger.  And, it was over 100° in the area I was 4 wheeling, however my truck had the ac blowing at 69° the entire time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Transient said:

Update:  I definitely need to get the hvac tube installed.  Went 4 wheeling in the truck today.  Had my phone sitting in the charger for several hours.  It ended up getting hot, both my phone and the charger.  And, it was over 100° in the area I was 4 wheeling, however my truck had the ac blowing at 69° the entire time.

it will be interesting to see what it takes to install the tube. Appreciate your willingness to be the test subject. 

16 minutes ago, Mcropper514 said:

So I got everything working but the air duct.  I could not figure out where it goes.

Anybody got pictures of where it's supposed to go, or how it connects?  

Would greatly appreciate it.

you need to pull out glove box.  on the hvac body there is a white plug(i think) in the hole.  pull plug and that is where it goes.

1 hour ago, Rally6.2RST said:

you need to pull out glove box.  on the hvac body there is a white plug(i think) in the hole.  pull plug and that is where it goes.

Top or Bottom?

I tried to take the bottom one out but couldn't get it to come out. 

I pushed in the tabs and got it to hang down but couldn't figure out how to remove it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/1/2021 at 12:42 AM, Transient said:

I finally got around to doing this install today, and I'm going to have to do it again.  I blindly took the part numbers that were given in this thread and placed an order with my parts guy.  He got everything I asked for, but one of them doesn't work for me -- the wiring harness.  The harness I ordered doesn't have the connections for SD card reader, so I lost my factory navigation that I upgraded to and installed a few months ago.  Doing some research I found out there's about 4 or 5 different wire harnessed that got used in this area.  You either do have rear heated seats, or don't.  You either do have a wireless phone charger, or you don't.  But, there's nothing mentioned about the SD card in the bin under the armrest.  Finding the correct harness will take a little effort.  Fortunately, I love redundancies.  Not only do I have Android Auto to help me l navigate me, but a recent update from Chevy provided those without navigation a navigation system that doesn't require the SD card and programs module.  It's called Chevy Maps+.  Iirc, I found it in the marketplace where you can add other apps to your radio screen.  It's actually a pretty good navigation system, and gives those with IOS radios but not the fancy instrument cluster the speed limit of the road, and your speed, right there on the navigation screen.

Sorry about going off into left field there.  Back on topic....

This project is more fun than I cared for.  I'm debating whether or not I want to install the hvac tube, but that's minor compared to this project requiring the removal of the entire center console and the front passenger seat.  Yep, you read that right.  When I finally get the correct harness, and go to install it, I'll try to get a bunch of pics and do a write up, including what tools I use.  The good news there aren't many tools needed, and it's not a tough project.

As for questions about the charging module being secured, the answer is it just sits in the tray.  However, the tray gets secured to the top cover via screws underneath.  I just happened to have screws small enough and short enough sitting around that I was able to secure everything together. 

Did you ever figure out which harness you needed? I have the same issue. Harness I ordered has all the plugs needed except the one for the center console USB ports/SD reader