Scrubbing/Rubbing Noise from rearend when first moving after sitting a day or so

On 10/15/2021 at 3:31 PM, JCantu23 said:

I have noticed this same noise on my 2021 Silverado as well. I back out of the driveway and put it in Drive to move forward and I hear it, but once I get going, it goes away......has anyone gotten this resolved?

I resolved this noise a couple months ago but my post did not get much attention. Here is how I made it go away forever. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2021 at 8:56 AM, Rook126 said:

I resolved this noise a couple months ago but my post did not get much attention. Here is how I made it go away forever. 

This is not the same rubbing noise that I get when I back out of my driveway and put it in drive. Once I get going, it does go away and only happens after the truck has been sitting overnight.

On 5/4/2021 at 5:44 PM, HiyoSilverardo_Away said:

Wow!  I know some have reported the leaf springs as a problem...  In a new truck I would never have thought the drive shaft, rear end, or anything related to those...

I have been letting my truck sit for a day or so now... will be pulling it out of garage most likely tomorrow or Thursday...  Hoping that it is still all clear!  Will have to wait and see...

@Sckidd91 , did the dealership say give you any indication of how wide spread the issue is and if they are finding other issues?  I have been chasing this for over a year now....

@HiyoSilverardo_Away Have you been able to get this noise resolved?

• 2 weeks later...

I get the god awful rubbing grinding noise too first thing in the morning.  Has been happening since shortly taking my truck home about 3 months now.  Been to the dealer twice now about it but they can't isolate it.  At least now I am in the system if the engineers find anything.  Only happens after sitting in the driveway over night regardless of the weather or the temperature.  Pretty sure it is the driverside rear end.

Edited by ExGrndPounder
Adding videos of noise

Many of us have that same issue. I have it on my 2019 Sierra. Scrubbing, grinding. popping etc. Transmission chatter when pulling out on the road. All I get from the dealer is the usual "all the trucks do that". That may be, but what is the reason? 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/24/2021 at 10:49 AM, Phantom 4D said:

Many of us have that same issue. I have it on my 2019 Sierra. Scrubbing, grinding. popping etc. Transmission chatter when pulling out on the road. All I get from the dealer is the usual "all the trucks do that". That may be, but what is the reason? 

Not sure if it’s the same sound I was getting from the rear. Was more of a knocking sound. Driving slow in parking lots on uneven surface, bumps or entering/exiting laneways. Took it to the dealer and they said it was the rear diff that has a little play. Said they are all like that and it’s normal. I’ve learned to live with it. Some times you don’t notice it others you do

• 2 months later...

2020 chevrolet silverado 1500 custom crew cab makes a rubbing or moaning sound. Only 10,000 miles and was bought brand new. 4 trips to the dealership about it and have left it there twice for a week and told today there is nothing they can do. Hmmm, my 2015 never had this issue, I should have kept it. 

• 8 months later...

I just dropped my 19' RST off at the dealer for a grinding noise that is coming from the rear end at low speeds when coming from a stop. It's pretty embarrassing when leaving a parking spot and your truck sounds like its about to fall apart. I better not get some lame ass "thats normal for a truck" line or I will go off.

Edited by Jricharc

36 minutes ago, Jricharc said:

I just dropped my 19' RST off at the dealer for a grinding noise that is coming from the rear end at low speeds when coming from a stop. It's pretty embarrassing when leaving a parking spot and your truck sounds like its about to fall apart. I better not get some lame ass "thats normal for a truck" line or I will go off.

Hey, it definitely isn't/wasn't normal....

Eventually after a bunch of different things I tried, I eventually just replaced the rotor that was causing the problem....  and have not had that problem since...

Really a pain in the neck!

22 minutes ago, HiyoSilverardo_Away said:

Hey, it definitely isn't/wasn't normal....

Eventually after a bunch of different things I tried, I eventually just replaced the rotor that was causing the problem....  and have not had that problem since...

Really a pain in the neck!

Sad that you had to diagnose and repair yourself. Mine is just past the 3yr bumper-to-bumper warranty but only have 29k on it so I am hoping the powertrain covers whatever is going on with it. I will post any findings I have.

54 minutes ago, Jricharc said:

Sad that you had to diagnose and repair yourself. Mine is just past the 3yr bumper-to-bumper warranty but only have 29k on it so I am hoping the powertrain covers whatever is going on with it. I will post any findings I have.

I gave up on dealerships a long, long time ago.

Unfortunately the issues were during the "covid" year and while here in the free state of Texas, there were still limits on what the dealerships would allow, appointments and times really were not great especially if you had a job.

Warranty - I have the original as well as extended as well...  Not worth much though if it is brake related, even with less than 20k miles on it, the dealership told me if that they found brake issues it would be on me.  Total crap! 

I spent around 150 bucks to replace the rotors on a final hunch....   issue went away... 

I had posted a video here earlier.  I jacked it up after it sat over night and rotated my wheel by hand and you can hear the exact same thing I heard in your video, exactly the same. 

Odds are, there were bad batches of rotors...  But that is my guess...

Once the rotors and pads heat up the issue goes away.  It reminds me of warped rotors, warped because of heat-braking at highspeeds, but in this case they were just warped naturally.

One option might be to have the rotors turned, but I would be afraid that eventually it would return.

On 11/3/2022 at 1:13 PM, HiyoSilverardo_Away said:

I gave up on dealerships a long, long time ago.

Unfortunately the issues were during the "covid" year and while here in the free state of Texas, there were still limits on what the dealerships would allow, appointments and times really were not great especially if you had a job.

Warranty - I have the original as well as extended as well...  Not worth much though if it is brake related, even with less than 20k miles on it, the dealership told me if that they found brake issues it would be on me.  Total crap! 

I spent around 150 bucks to replace the rotors on a final hunch....   issue went away... 

I had posted a video here earlier.  I jacked it up after it sat over night and rotated my wheel by hand and you can hear the exact same thing I heard in your video, exactly the same. 

Odds are, there were bad batches of rotors...  But that is my guess...

Once the rotors and pads heat up the issue goes away.  It reminds me of warped rotors, warped because of heat-braking at highspeeds, but in this case they were just warped naturally.

One option might be to have the rotors turned, but I would be afraid that eventually it would return.

Brakes are not warranted. Considered a wear item. 

• Like 1