HELP! 2020 Chevy Silverado 5.3 how to remove serpentine belt?

I have come on here to help people solve a issue we encountered on our 2020 1500 work truck with 5.3. As many of you have encountered stretch to fit belts can be a pain to find the right tool to work with their pulley set up. I have pictured the belt configuration for a 5.3 with a stretch to fit belt. I also have pictured a belt configuration for a 6.6 with a tensioner. Took us awhile to find the lay out but we have converted to a 6.6 tensioner part #12654271 and 6.6 idler pulley part # 12695659. Then measured for a belt and has held up great. Way cheaper to convert to a tensioner and serpentine belt then the cost of most stretch to fit belt installer and removal tools.

5.3 drive belt.png

6.6 drive belt.png

12 minutes ago, Kaden Seidel said:

I have come on here to help people solve a issue we encountered on our 2020 1500 work truck with 5.3. As many of you have encountered stretch to fit belts can be a pain to find the right tool to work with their pulley set up. I have pictured the belt configuration for a 5.3 with a stretch to fit belt. I also have pictured a belt configuration for a 6.6 with a tensioner. Took us awhile to find the lay out but we have converted to a 6.6 tensioner part #12654271 and 6.6 idler pulley part # 12695659. Then measured for a belt and has held up great. Way cheaper to convert to a tensioner and serpentine belt then the cost of most stretch to fit belt installer and removal tools.

5.3 drive belt.png

6.6 drive belt.png

Interesting. Given the similarities, I had wondered about the feasibility of retrofitting the L8T belt setup. 

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone added this particular tensioner?   I have the 6.2 and it seems that this tensioner was made for it (the L87).  Part is ICT Billet 551943.  Anyone have some thoughts?  Thanks!  

F144799661.jpg

F144799664.jpg

Edited by Ostar

Not following the logic of wanting to add back in a tensioner.  The stretch belts have been on the AC compressor and vacuum pump on the 14-19 trucks and they worked great.  The serpentine stretch ones are doing good on the 19+up trucks as well.  No more failing tensioners like the LS motors always did.  

Adding in the tensioner costs more than a new belt and the install tool that you buy once.  Using MSRPs, LS 5.3 belt and tensioner $176.60.  14-19 LT 5.3 engine $109.30.  19+up 5.3 stretch belt and the one time purchase of the Lisle installer linked above $88.15.

Even using Kaden Seidel's approach, its much more than the tool and the stretch belt.  The pulley and the tensioner alone he used MSRP total $97.61 and that is NOT including the belt he had to get.

For him to say its cheaper than one stretch belt and installer is wrong.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 8:18 PM, redwngr said:

There are a large selection of options and almost none of them work.  I found out the hard way when my belt let loose at 40k miles while I was on the road going to an inspection 8 hours away from home.  The local autozone had multiple options for stretchy belt removal and installation, 2 of which identified as working for my specific year and are currently listed in the above search as working for our vehicles.  Unfortunately they don't.  They slide off the hub when you try to use them because the slots in the tool aren't proportioned correctly for the grooves in the hub.  Luckily I was able to uber to a dealership and the service technician gave me the tool used for the AC belt since it would have been almost a week before they could have gotten my truck in for service.  I mentioned to him that the tool for the AC drive was different and he said "I know, the suggested one doesn't work, use this and if for some reason you have issues then use heavy duty zip-ties".  The AC belt removal tool was different than the tool recommended for the accessory belt, and it worked flawlessly while the tools guaranteed to work with my vehicle didn't work for ******.   As soon as I got home I ordered a spare belt, modified my multiple plastic "tools" that I bought from the local autozone to use with this hub, and keep both in my truck at all times.  Best advice I can give you is by the ac belt removal tool, keep several heavy duty zip ties in your truck to install the new belt, and a good knife to cut off the old one.  That will get you out of a pickle.

On 3/12/2022 at 8:18 PM, redwngr said:

Also, the removal tool isn't necessary, just cut the belt.  Its the install tool that is the issue since the gap in the tool isn't wide enough to fit squarely on our hubs.  Since the tool doesn't sit down squarely in the groves, the belt pushes the tool off when you rotate the crank hub.  Just make sure that whatever tool you get has a wide first groove.

Last year I made a deal with Mechman Alternators and installed a 370 amp Alt and the tensioner set up from ICT Billet. The set up works great but at the time that I was provided the kit it literally had no instructions. The pulley on the tensioner and the idler pulley have to be swapped before installed. They provide the correct size belt p/n on their site. Obviously I did a whole alternator upgrade so there was more to my install than just installing the new tensioner and idler pulley but everything works just fine. I'll link the install video I did on the whole set up in case anyone is interested, the video is a little long considering theres a few issues you run into trying to upgrade/R&R your alternator. I tried to provide everything in that you would need in the video. Also, if you have any questions I'm here to help.

• 4 months later...

Once the belt is ran through the accessory pullies properly oriented in the grooves, zip tie the belt to the crank hub through the gaps in the crank hub.  Once the belt is cinched down with the zip ties, TURN THE MOTOR OVER BY HAND to seat the remainder of the belt on the pulley.

• 3 months later...
58 minutes ago, redwngr said:

That's the one I linked to back in Feb...

Have your personally used that one on the accessory belt redwingr?  The pulley lip on our 5.3's is too large for most of the stretchy belt removal tools.  I've had to modify the ones I purchased to fit properly over the pulley lip for the forward most belt(accessory).  The tools work fine as-is for the rear most belt(AC belt).  Not trying to argue in the least, just curious if you have used this specific tool to put the accessory belt back on the crank pulley.  If so, I'll probably pick one up as insurance.

2 hours ago, Gangly said:

Have your personally used that one on the accessory belt redwingr?  The pulley lip on our 5.3's is too large for most of the stretchy belt removal tools.  I've had to modify the ones I purchased to fit properly over the pulley lip for the forward most belt(accessory).  The tools work fine as-is for the rear most belt(AC belt).  Not trying to argue in the least, just curious if you have used this specific tool to put the accessory belt back on the crank pulley.  If so, I'll probably pick one up as insurance.

Nope, but I thought I had seen a video of it being used before the Feb post. 

Perhaps I'm mistaken, or perhaps there are several versions/brands of the tool

I've only ever changed 2 serpentine belts.  Both used the spring loaded idler system that was used with serpentines until recently.

One was a 7 or 8 y.o. belt that was changed as a preventative in about 2002 or so (kept the old belt behind the seat as a spare)

The other was on a farm tractor.  On it the belt tensioner failed and damaged the serpentine. 

(did remove / install serpentines a bunch of times on some prototype stuff, but I guess that doesn't count....)