In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

What is the 6.2 engine getting in MPG

I am getting exceptional fuel mileage. I run Premium fuel only and keep my Goodyear Duratrac tire pressure at 50PSI. My AT4 also has the factory cat back exhaust and cold air intake (435hp & 469ft/lb torque). I generally drive it aggressively and love the exceptional power. On Sunday, I decided to see what the best fuel mileage i could get.  I drove home from camp , distance was 70 miles all highway and i drove it conservatively at 55MPH and got 28MPG. (wind was at my back). I typically get 24-26MPG on the highway driving the speed limit with tail wind and 23-25MPG with headwind. I also did a 250 mile mileage test combined Highway/City, using the auto-stop function and got 19.9MPG.

I don’t know how people are getting such great numbers...  I average 13-14 and the best I have seen is 18 on a 100 mile round trip.  I have a 2020 High Country 4X4 with the TB lift running 35X11.50 tires on the stock wheels.

10 minutes ago, AEmedic said:

I don’t know how people are getting such great numbers...  I average 13-14 and the best I have seen is 18 on a 100 mile round trip.  I have a 2020 High Country 4X4 with the TB lift running 35X11.50 tires on the stock wheels.

You answered your own question.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, cltsig said:

You answered your own question.

^^ This......

I’m averaging 15.4 a tank usually, I’m running a 3” lift and 285-55/22’ on OEM wheels. Best I’ve done is 18.7. I also have a CAI, hyper tech speedometer corrector and a Pedal Commander. I use remote start a lot as well in which will screw up your numbers a bit.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, AEmedic said:

I don’t know how people are getting such great numbers... 

You need to ignore the people who post their best trip with wind at their back.

Averages over longer distances, with mixed city/hwy are likely to be closer to 20 +/- 2 mpg. Very similar to the 5.3.

• Like 1

Lifetime via gas buddy app at 18.5. truck says 19(I never reset trip B, so I can see it).

Had a 23mpg 400 mile road trip, usually 18 to 19 with a 50/50 mix of city and highway daily drive. Some 25mpg sections here and there. I drive fairly conservative, may get to the speed limit quick, but that's about it. Tow a small trailer on occasion.

2019 LTZ 6.2 crew shortbox

Edit: 21,000 miles. 3.23 gears, bed cover. Run premium mostly. Towing I probably have 2k miles with a smallish flatbed.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I did not expect to see the MPG numbers that are being posted for the 6.2.

I have a 5.3, Crew Cab Short Bed, LTZ, with Z-71 and highway driving 70 I get around 23 MPG.  In the city I have been getting around 19 MPG.  The best 50 mile results were 30.1 but that was perfect conditions and don't see anywhere near that normally.

John K

My 19 Denali 6.2 with stick 22s , lifetime average is showing a tad over 17  ,,,,

50/50 mix of street and HWY , i drive her pretty hard. 

Gas sometimes i use 87 , and sometimes I use 91 

Noticed zero difference in mileage and performance on gas 

Forgot to mention that my 6.2L AT4 has the 3.23 gear ratio and the tri-fold box cover if that helps. I included pics of the dic. First one is in metric 8.3 Litres per 100km for 111.4km (70 miles) distance on the highway which converts to 28.339 US miles per gallon.I just changed the units to US and snapped the second pic of the dic and it shows for 129 miles, (1st 70 miles highway and 59 miles city) I am getting 21.8 MPG. This is driving the speed limit and feathering the throttle. Third pic is from May and is combined hwy/city and is 400km (250 miles) at 11.8L/100km which converts to 19.9 MPG.

IMG_0197.jpg

IMG_0207.jpg

IMG_1499.jpg

8 hours ago, bshort said:

9-10.  99% of this truck's life is towing.  

that is roughly what i get when towing.....and i bought it to tow. 

I have the max tow pkg and the best MPG i have seen is 19-20 mpg pure highway at 70+ mph

Edited by Greyhound6.2
  • Like 1

Averaging 12.9mpg over first 1850 miles.  SLT Crewcab w Max Tow.  Mostly city, but a couple longer highway trips thrown in.  Averaged about 18 on last trip 200 mile trip to mountains and back.  But in town, it struggles to get more than 12-13mpg (like others, includes lots of idling with a/c on, eating lunch inside some days, etc).  Best scenario I ever got was about 24mpg with cruise control set at 67mph, all highway (flat more or less) for about a 30 mile highway jaunt...

Can't believe that the 3.42 gears knock it down dramatically, but I sure as heck am not seeing this 18-20mpg a bunch of other guys claim!  I sure wish I did though!  My 2010 Silverado 6.2 (max tow with 3.73 and 6 speed) averaged 13.9 over it's 36,000 mile lease with me, so I was hoping this one would do a bit better in same driving conditions.