In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
rav3

Question on Transponder key & FOB

Wanting to have a spare key for my 2017 Silverado, I checked several local lock smith shops & found they ranging from about $70 to $120, which I feel is too much to pay for this. So, I did a search on eBay & found several listers. One where you can buy the key & send them a picture and they'll cut the transponder key for you. Another place would sell the blank key + a new FOB for like $30. However, they do not provide the cutting service, so there's not much savings there, since you'd have to find a place to cut it for you.

1. Has anyone bought a cut Key from one of the ebay source? and did it work for them.

2. Is there a way to program a new remote FOB that they sell on ebay other than trying to get the dealer to do it?

I purchased two chipped keys for my 2020 GMC HD as a hidden spare key. It was $15 for both from Amazon. I had them cut at a local dealership for $12.

Mine is push button start so the mechanical key allows me to open the door & then I place the key in the transponder pocket & I’m able to start it.

I realize your truck doesn’t have PB start but I think a similar set up would work for you. I did the same thing for my 2014.

I also bought a spare FOB & had the integrated key cut at the same dealership. The FOB I learned to the truck myself.

38 minutes ago, rav3 said:

Wanting to have a spare key for my 2017 Silverado, I checked several local lock smith shops & found they ranging from about $70 to $120, which I feel is too much to pay for this. So, I did a search on eBay & found several listers. One where you can buy the key & send them a picture and they'll cut the transponder key for you. Another place would sell the blank key + a new FOB for like $30. However, they do not provide the cutting service, so there's not much savings there, since you'd have to find a place to cut it for you.

1. Has anyone bought a cut Key from one of the ebay source? and did it work for them.

2. Is there a way to program a new remote FOB that they sell on ebay other than trying to get the dealer to do it?

Dealers can order a pre-cut transponder key from GM which retails for $52.94.  P/N 13523882.  Dealer would need your key code to order.  If you don't have the code, you will most likely be charged to access the code by a dealer.  

Programming the key.  Being you have a 2017, if you only have one key right now, you will need the dealer to do the programming.  If you have 2 keys and you want to add a third, you can program the key yourself.

The remote can only be programmed by the dealer.