In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
bowhunter8

Spare tire cable dragged on the highway

Had to swap my spare tire due to a slow leak I had in one of my OE tires. Being in a hurry I totally forgot to crank up the spare tire cable and I drug it on the highway for a few miles before I noticed it.

Once I got home I got under there and and pulled on it with about half my body weight and everything seems still good. What’s your guys thoughts on the ground down end of the cable? Is there usually a knot in the cable at the end? Would you think it’s safe to put the tire back on it? Or do I need to replace it?

320da7eb2ad8d70db16e212bbfc6e90c.jpg

b2afdabc8bb9bb9d2d69dbcd4985db1c.jpg

Truck is a 2019 but the 2018 body style

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I say run it. Don’t see anything that would affect its performance of holding the tire/wheel against where it sits.

• Like 1

Yeah that looks fine.  At least you noticed it quickly, my brother did the same thing, and didn't notice (via someone else waving at him) until both the tire and rim were worn through...

• Like 1

Thanks guys. Just wanted to make sure the very end of the cable/crimp wasn’t essential to holding the tire up. I couldn’t recall if there was a knot at the end of the cable or if the crimp was crimped at the very end where the road ate it away