2015 Silverado 5.3 Rattle

2015 Silverado I had a transmission built for my truck as converter went out. When tranny guy put new tranny in I had him turn off AFM/DOD. Since that I have a intermittent rattle doesn't do it right away have to drive for a while and then it doesn't always do it. I have no codes i.e. misfire and trucks runs great oil psi is steady doesn't run hot. Saturday drove it for about a hour and it started so got home and had wife rev motor so i could try and see/hear where rattle was coming from. Upon this I got under truck and it seemed to be louder towards back of motor close to bellhousing. I am old school and these new LS motors are new to me. Master mechanic for railroad but this has me stumped. I would think if lifter it would do it all the time and not sure about injector pump. Is there a easy way of diagnosing the issue. Any help would be appreciated.

On 8/4/2020 at 8:46 AM, Sean007 said:

2015 Silverado I had a transmission built for my truck as converter went out. When tranny guy put new tranny in I had him turn off AFM/DOD. Since that I have a intermittent rattle doesn't do it right away have to drive for a while and then it doesn't always do it. I have no codes i.e. misfire and trucks runs great oil psi is steady doesn't run hot. Saturday drove it for about a hour and it started so got home and had wife rev motor so i could try and see/hear where rattle was coming from. Upon this I got under truck and it seemed to be louder towards back of motor close to bellhousing. I am old school and these new LS motors are new to me. Master mechanic for railroad but this has me stumped. I would think if lifter it would do it all the time and not sure about injector pump. Is there a easy way of diagnosing the issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Cracked flex plate or loose converter bolts.

3 hours ago, It's Tim said:

Cracked flex plate or loose converter bolts.

Just checked converter bolts all right and didn’t see any cracks on flexplate. Really confused on what the rattle is as if it was lifter would think it would do it all the time and have no idea about injection pump. I did look at vacuum pump and didn’t see any signs of leaks or issues with it.

Have tried and that is the problem it doesnt always do it and when it does it sounds like it is on bottom near bellhousing but could just be carrying from somewhere else.

If its only doing it while under load id look at the trans converter. If you have the ability to get the tuner to turn the afm back on id start there as that's when you notice this issue.

Then again it very well could just be a coincidence and your tq converter is defective. How is the power on tap? A defective converter can show issues getting off the line or throught the rpm range.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

First converter after rebuild came on done so took back and had tranny checked over and upgraded to a billet converter. Not using a tuner tranny guy used his computer to set tire size and tranny perimeters so not to be piggy backing with a speed calibrator. Power is great from start and through all gears. Doesn’t always do it under load some times when slowing down. 

Some extra info just drove about 10 miles on freeway no noise at all got off highway and went about 6 blocks and turned and here it is. At idle no noise but rev up to about 2000 rpm there it is.