In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Would you buy the gasser or diesel?

Hey guys, quick question, if you didnt really need diesel just the extra payload of the 2500 HD would you consider getting the new 6.6l gasser. So here is my situation, I bought a 2020 1500 SLT with the 6.2l and no heavy duty payload because the wife told me we would never be buying a travel trailer we would just stay in hotels when we travel. Fast forward 8 months and COVID is in full effect and our Hawaii trip has had to be pushed out twice, now till next year. So the wife decrees we are going to buy a trailer. Nothing huge, we got a 28' travel trailer that grosses out at 8800lbs. The truck has a max payload of 1560lbs and between me, her, 2 kids, 2-75+lb labs and the canopy I put on about 200lbs and the max tongue weight of the trailer unequilized of 880lbs, but were not fully loaded in the trailer, I'm sure I'm over weight. So if you were in my shoes, and I'm looking for a Duramax right now and they are hard to find in my area, hit the lot and gone. I will most likely tow the trailer 8-10 times a season and after our most recent trip to Montana of 557 miles I told the wife we will be staying closer to home for a while. With a max of 24 gallons of gas and at 7.8mpg we have to plan our stops accordingly. So I see on a local lot a 2500 HD AT4 fully loaded but it has the 6.6l gasser. If you were in my situation would you save the $9800 and go gasser or wait for the perfect Duramax to come along? Will most likely be a 2021 now the way the 2020's are going. 

I've had 5 or 6 Duramaxes since 2005 and during that time I went back to a gasser twice, (a 5.3 and a 6.2).  I promise you, I won't make the mistake of going back to a gasser unless absolutely necessary.  After driving a Duramax for the last 15 years, I wasn't happy with a gas engine. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Thankful said:

I've had 5 or 6 Duramaxes since 2005 and during that time I went back to a gasser twice, (a 5.3 and a 6.2).  I promise you, I won't make the mistake of going back to a gasser unless absolutely necessary.  After driving a Duramax for the last 15 years, I wasn't happy with a gas engine. 

Why?

• Like 1

Hey I have a 6.0 2500HD.  It's been great and I would buy it again in a heartbeat.  But I know for a fact I am going SLOW uphill if I pull a heavy trailer.  For someone that doesn't want to deal with that but isn't sure they want a diesel, the 7.3 with the 10 speed is the best deal going.  A 6.6 gasser is certainly better than my truck, but that 7.3 Ford is fantastic.  

For the record I have three GM vehicles - a 2016 2500HD, a 1972 K10, and a 1965 GTO.  I am not a Ford man by any means!  But for my money right now, the Ford is the gasser to get in the HD market.  

20 minutes ago, diyer2 said:

Why?

I just don't like the "feel" of the gas engines.  I haven't tried the new 6.6 gasser, but the 6.2 didn't feel as good as the diesel.

• Like 1

i went from gas with turbos to the 5.3 as we do vacations in the high altitudes in northern new mexico. i miss the turbos. but that is more than offset by trouble free driving of the pushrod V8.

Money is the deciding factor, imo. .  If I was faced with your dilemma, I'd be shopping for a trailer to suit your new 2020 1500 SLT.  There are a lot of very nice trailers within the towing abilities of your truck.  

1 hour ago, Donstar said:

Money is the deciding factor, imo. .  If I was faced with your dilemma, I'd be shopping for a trailer to suit your new 2020 1500 SLT.  There are a lot of very nice trailers within the towing abilities of your truck.  

Little late now. The truck towed the trailer like a mule team. Went up the hills in Idaho and Montana no issues 70-75mph. Its just the legality of being over the "payload" and the 24 gallon tank for long trips sucks.

I have had 3 diesel pickup trucks in the last 21 years.  Two Cummins and one Duramax.  The last one was a 2011 GMC Sierra 2500 Duramax ccsb.  I recently traded it in on a 2020 6.6 gasser.  Never did I think just a few years ago that I would ever go back to gas.  The truck pulled my 34 ft 5th wheel just fine.  Plenty of power, fuel mileage was just ok.   average about 11.5 to 12mpg.  The big factors--- the emissions on the duramax.  I have been screwed twice by the truck while on a long trip. The last time was last month.  I was 1300 miles from home when the def / cel light lit up on my dash.  I went into a limp mode, stuck at 55 mph and heading for a lower threshhold.  I pulled into one dealer in Michigan and their response is,  we're busy, cant look at it until next week.  Well, isnt that just great.  I have camping reservations that just got jeopardized.  Luckily, I went to another dealer and he got me going after 3 days.  The def tank had to be replaced.  The second time its been replaced btw.  I have had 3 nitrogen sensors replaced also.  No matter how great this truck pulled,  I couldnt take the finicky and potentially disabling emissions system.  Add in the problems with the EGR valve and the injector pump and you get the point.   The truck only had 64,000 miles on it. Now add in the additional 10 grand premium for the diesel, plus DEF,  and stanadyne   I figured I could drive a gasser for 3.7 years for the cost of a diesel.  On the average here in the NE diesel fuel runs about .40 cent more a gallon. I've only had the 6.6 gasser for 3 weeks now but am very happy with it.  It pulls just fine.  Not as strong as the duramax but it's no slouch.   To each his own.     

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

i bought gas for those exact reasons.....i dont need a diesel just need payload, so why pay extra and have more maintenance.....it just didnt make sense

your not towing that much weight just barely over a 1500....any 2500 should tow that weight no problem

Edited by Dunn
  • Like 1