Would you rebuy 2019/2020 GM truck?

RE1

I got 21mpg with my 2018 5.3L and 20mpg with my 2020 5.3L. 18-19mpg with DFM & auto stop/start disabled.... shrug.... Also, it costs you $100 to fill up your truck? Do you live in California? At the price of premium around here it would cost maybe $60 at most. You also say the 5.3 is no different than Fords 5.0, Ram 5.7 and basically the 6.2 ??? Is there a modern V8 you've driven and do like? 

It sounds like you just really want something new and different from everything else out there right now. Personally I'm trying to hold out for the next Tundra.
I should mention the 5.3s I have experience with are 2017 or older to whatever they had in 2002.

I certainly don't live in Cali, but in Canada where it would convert to $4.71 per gallon of 91 or $3.81 per gallon of 87.

So if I'm paying this much I would be a much easier pill to swallow in something over the top.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, AdamAT4 said:

I should mention the 5.3s I have experience with are 2017 or older to whatever they had in 2002.

I certainly don't live in Cali, but in Canada where it would convert to $4.71 per gallon of 91 or $3.81 per gallon of 87.

So if I'm paying this much I would be a much easier pill to swallow in something over the top.

Oh ok gotcha, I understand.

3 minutes ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

Here's hoping for more payload, storage under the rear seats in the crewmax and a better centre console layout. 

Here's to hoping for better everything lol. I test drove 2 before purchasing another Silverado and hated them. I trust them to run forever just like I do Honda so I'm hoping it ends up being something great. If Honda made a truck I would never purchase anything else, it's probably the only brand I kind of fanboy towards but the Ridgeline is a mini van with a tiny bed instead of a roof. I started drinking after I saw the current gen refresh of it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, batman900 said:

Here's to hoping for better everything lol. I test drove 2 before purchasing another Silverado and hated them. I trust them to run forever just like I do Honda so I'm hoping it ends up being something great. If Honda made a truck I would never purchase anything else, it's probably the only brand I kind of fanboy towards but the Ridgeline is a mini van with a tiny bed instead of a roof. I started drinking after I saw the current gen refresh of it.

I'm happy with mine for the most part but I'm aware of its shortcomings. Just might not be able to keep it for 15 years like I originally planned. 

1 minute ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

I'm happy with mine for the most part but I'm aware of its shortcomings. Just might not be able to keep it for 15 years like I originally planned. 

Oh dang didn't even notice your sig haha. To be fair because I meant no insult, I test drove 2 TRD Off Roads that had the large tread tires. They both had steering wheel shakes on the highway and alignments so off it pulled like someone hit a curb at speed. Both had less than 20 miles on them. There were other little things I could get over like being super outdated and feeling crazy top heavy in turns (even for a truck.) But the shakes was a deal breaker, I had to dump a 2019 Tacoma because it shook and no one could fix it (3 sets of tires, half a dozen alignments, a dozen balances, 2 dealers) same with 2 other folks I know so I wasn't about to go through it again. Those shaky Tundra's will probably run 300k or more but I can't take it. I know they don't all do it but I couldn't keep up my search for a non shaker with whats available right now. I posted about it on the Tundra forums and it seemed too common to keep looking.

I don't trust Chevy or American vehicles in general but Chevy trucks tick all my boxes and have always drove like a Cadillac. My vehicle at work is a 2006 single cab. Plus ya know.... country songs sing about them lol. The older I get, I really want something I can hold on to and rack up the miles on, so I'll build equity until the Japanese release something new. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, batman900 said:

Oh dang didn't even notice your sig haha. To be fair because I meant no insult, I test drove 2 TRD Off Roads that had the large tread tires. They both had steering wheel shakes on the highway and alignments so off it pulled like someone hit a curb at speed. Both had less than 20 miles on them. There were other little things I could get over like being super outdated and feeling crazy top heavy in turns (even for a truck.) But the shakes was a deal breaker, I had to dump a 2019 Tacoma because it shook and no one could fix it (3 sets of tires, half a dozen alignments, a dozen balances, 2 dealers) same with 2 other folks I know so I wasn't about to go through it again. Those shaky Tundra's will probably run 300k or more but I can't take it. I know they don't all do it but I couldn't keep up my search for a non shaker with whats available right now. I posted about it on the Tundra forums and it seemed too common to keep looking.

I don't trust Chevy or American vehicles in general but Chevy trucks tick all my boxes and have always drove like a Cadillac. My vehicle at work is a 2006 single cab. Plus ya know.... country songs sing about them lol. The older I get, I really want something I can hold on to and rack up the miles on, so I'll build equity until the Japanese release something new. 

I probably saw your posts on Tundras.com. lol That does suck and I definitely wouldn't have bought mine if it shook like that. I also need to put a rear sway bar in mine to calm down the leaning in turns. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

Here's hoping for more payload, storage under the rear seats in the crewmax and a better centre console layout. 

No matter what they do to increase payload capacity, I seriously doubt the new Tindra will come anywhere close to the 1910 lbs of payload capacity my 2019 LTZ has.

8 hours ago, AdamAT4 said:

The TRX is worth it, The AT4 isn't.

Currently I'm paying a premium for a truck that isn't a premium. The 5.3 is not a good V8, we have many of each at work and the 5.3 gets poor fuel economy other than that its no different from an F150 5.0Lor Ram 1500 5.7L, the 6.2 doesn't seem any different. If i was on a blind drive I wouldn't know if it was a 5.3 or 6.2

The TRX yeah it requires 91 and will not get amazing economy but its got the suspension, power, looks and pedigree to be worth it.

My AT4 is no different really than a " grandpa" truck, we all like to think the AT4 is so much more and I do as well to keep me from complaining every time it costs me over $100 to fuel the pig up. The AT4 meets most of my needs which is why I bought it. I'm a non brand loyal person and when I decided to step down from a 3/4 to a 1/2 ton i skipped the F150 as i knew a new truck was coming and I really wanted a raptor but didn't think I could live with the short box, the Ram had a very nice interior but I really like the look of the HD more and mega cab so I knew I'd feel like I cheaped out. When I seen the AT4 I liked it for the 10 speed, its probably off-road capable enough but at least i got a standard box size and also I didn't have to get the 5.3

Had I known how garage the adaptive cruise is and no rain sensing wipers (sales person lied) and it needed 91 i probably would of got the raptor if I could of just got a few more grand off, if not I'd put a 4" bds on the ram and enjoyed plenty of grunt and 87 fuel costs with a 40% larger fuel tank.

I'm right there with you for the most part as your thought process was almost identical to mine albeit I wasn't coming from a 3/4 ton. However I opted for the SLT over the AT4 because as you have highlighted the "features" on the AT4 are trash things that can be done much better aftermarket. 

Couple thoughts. The 5.3 gets closer to 16/17 city which is actually pretty good and I drive with a lead foot. The suspension and wheels and tires is an easy aftermarket fix and you can easily put a better suspension than either the Raptor or TRX has for a fraction of the cost. 5-7k for coilovers, UCA's, wheels/tires and rear deaver leafs. And lastly, just supercharge your 5.3. That's an easy 250hp. All the TRX or Raptor is is a base truck with a good suspension and supercharger. I'd argue that the Raptors are extremely overpriced as they are too much in demand and I'd never by a Chrysler no matter how they try to brand it, and especially not the first year of an entirely new platform. 

Sounds like you should drop about 10-15k into your T1 and you'd have something that is superior to a Raptor or TRX in every way. 

1 hour ago, batman900 said:

I got 21mpg with my 2018 5.3L and 20mpg with my 2020 5.3L. 18-19mpg with DFM & auto stop/start disabled.... shrug.... Also, it costs you $100 to fill up your truck? Do you live in California? At the price of premium around here it would cost maybe $60 at most. You also say the 5.3 is no different than Fords 5.0, Ram 5.7 and basically the 6.2 ??? Is there a modern V8 you've driven and do like? 

It sounds like you just really want something new and different from everything else out there right now. Personally I'm trying to hold out for the next Tundra.

Yeah it's closer to 16-17 but I agree, costs $50 at the pump, tops. 

24 minutes ago, AlaskaErik said:

No matter what they do to increase payload capacity, I seriously doubt the new Tindra will come anywhere close to the 1910 lbs of payload capacity my 2019 LTZ has.

Yeah, not sure what Toyota will come up with but I've been told the second gen Tundra set the bar for the rest of the class when it came out in 2007.

1 hour ago, batman900 said:

Also forgot to mention that if Honda or Hyundai/ Kia made a halfton, I would definitely look at them too. 

Part of the reason I didn't buy a T1 was that all the stories of guys losing brakes came out right when I was shopping in November. In hindsight, the recalls in January-March sorted all that out so I could have just waited. On the other hand, if I'd waited, we'd have been into the pandemic and I would have still had no truck. So maybe everything worked out for the best. 

• Like 1

Had a 2019 Custom Trailboss until yesterday, with the 5.3/6 speed, good truck, really slow shifting trans, same trans that was in the 2016 LT which I also had, and hated.  Dealer called and offered an upgrade to the 2020 LT Trailboss, 10 speed trans, for the same price (lease), so I jumped on it, love the trans!!  Fast smooth shifts, no delay like that annoying 6 speed.  

Only problem I had was with the 2019, the trans thermostat got stuck closed so the trans would overheat, but they fixed it quick.  No other problems.  Absolutely love the 10 speed trans.  I tried to get the 6.2L, but they didnt have any in stock.. so still have the 5.3,  it's just ok.  10 speed makes it much better.   

Edited by Balls

3 hours ago, 2020SilveradoCC said:

Im definitely interested in seeing what the new Tundra has to offer - might get me to switch! I miss the days of not having to go to the dealership.

As someone who exclusively owned Toyotas for the past two decades, this is a myth. What makes Toyota's better than everyone else is their simplicity in their engineering. Everything is easier to fix. But that doesn't mean that it won't break. They do have rock solid tranny's in their mid size platforms i.e. 4runner & Tacoma but beyond that they aren't going to be as maintaince free as everyone likes to think. On my 4runner I blew an alternator, broke all four power door locks, blew up an A/C compressor and obliterated all the OEM suspension i.e. ball joints, cv axels, etc. (albeit I did have a lift on it).

I went to the dealership after I totaled my last Toyota looking to buy a full-size platform but the fact is, the Tundra's are ugly AF and aren't built as solid as the 4Runner, LandCruisers & Tacomas and a LandCruiser is pushing six figures. In the end sure those vehicles that I just mentioned are going to be a slight step up in reliability and easier to fix due to the superior engineering, but it's not enough to make a rational person choose a Toyota over a GMC. My dad has had his 96' Chevy for going on 25 years now and with proper maintenance it is still a creampuff. You are going to have to replace the suspension on any vehicle every 75k miles and beyond that all the half tons on the market are built pretty solid although not sure I'd trust the electrical engineering on a Ram. 

IMO I'd suggest learning how to fix & detail your truck yourself, putting on a truly quality aftermarket suspension after your 3yr/36k mile warranty is null and void and doing as much preventative maintaince as you can within reason and you will get a solid 12-15 years/150-200k miles out of any vehicle built in todays day and age. 

Edited by superhighsierra

16 hours ago, AlaskaErik said:

My 2015 RCSB mini motor payload is 1,979 lbs. 

4521 at the curb with a 6500 lb GVRW

17 hours ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

WHAT a ton isn't enough for a half ton to carry? :) You need a 3500 ?