In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

6.2L Borla S-Type Cat-Back -vs- True Dual Cat-Back ?

On 8/18/2020 at 10:30 AM, childstoys said:

Any luck with this??? Curious of the outcome. I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an exhaust as soon as I take delivery. Been looking around for other posts about true dual vs Y pipe. Sound / Performance difference? I'm sure they would be marginal, but I bet we can all agree, it's the minor details that matter most in the mod world. lol

I'm really stuck between the Touring and S-Type. I need to make a decision soon. My wife might kill me if she hears another exhaust YouTube video in the middle of the night. She tells me "You've listened to that same [email protected]&king video 5 times now!" *Inserts Earbuds* lol

I literally laughed out loud and had to read this to my wife😂😂😂😂

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but I never really saw an answer to the original question. As I'm considering the same thing, is there any reason to get the Borla True-Dual 140785 over the Borla 140783?

I'm hoping someone with knowledge will chime in. The only thing I can think of is that the True Dual might be better for someone who has plans to put more mods on...headers, supercharger, etc?

• 1 month later...

I don't think so. The OP confirmed that the true dual is a 2-1-2 such that its 2 separate pipes that drop into a single  muffler and then split back out. The regular is a bit easier to install as it meets up behind the y pipe past the cats so only needs a single cut. It is also the same design that the touring and atak use (as well as Corsa and other systems) with the single in dual out design. One thing to also notice is that the regular stype and the atak are the same setup with the exception of a small resonator behind the muffler. That can be removed and their straight pipe put in and now you have the atak setup so easy to adjust if the stype isnt loud enough. 

Edited by Smrtasp
Grammar

Wondering about the outcome of this as well.  Particularly interested in if there would be anything that might require me having to take it into the dealership to "tune" something to keep it from tripping some kind of damn sensor I have no idea about LOL.

I installed the True-Dual Type S, it is a really nice unit and sounds really good!  I will say that it is loud, very comparable to the ATAK, in my opinion.  Mine did not require any tuning, it is just a CAT-back so it was good to go.  I ended up adding a resonator to each run to tone it down a bit, I would say it is perfect now.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got my S-Type installed yesterday. My 2019 had the GM performance exhaust which was the Borla Touring. Exactly what I was going for with a bit more sound out of the S-Type. At idle and initial acceleration it is definitely louder but not overly and with the windows up on the freeway I cant tell the difference inside between this and the touring exhaust. I had it installed by my dealer and the tech had also recently installed a true dual S-Type and said he couldnt tell the difference between the 2 systems from a sound perspective. Maybe after some break in time there will be a difference but seems like out of the box they are close enough so not really sure what the benefit of the true dual is over the regular one.

• 2 weeks later...