2nd opinion: OEM paint job or redone on “NEW” ‘19 Suburban

I purchased a new (dealer demo with 2,300 miles)2019 Suburban this past December. I didn’t really notice the paint job on the back hatch and around passenger taillight until after giving her 1st paint sealant. Part of me is wondering if this in fact the factory paint job that has imperfections or did the dealer have damage to it before and fixed it before they sold it. The Carfax from the dealer shows no reports of damage/repair. Pictures are for second opinions. Thanks!

FD668E4A-EDE3-4F50-A03E-7CC80CF907F9.jpeg.ad7dca0164c9499a6cab06372faa1e42.jpeg

271D51F3-A49B-4B86-BAA2-2FF3D8C9D295.jpeg

Dealer repairs will not show up on a history report. Similar to paying out of pocket for a accident repair on a personal vehicle. 

Repairs would only show up if a third party (usually insurance) pays the bill. 

It is quite possible that it may have been corrected. Also possible it may have just been a crappy factory paint finish. 
I work by a autobody repair place, the amount of dealerships tagged cars that go in and out of that place is insane. 

Carfax is only as good as the information that is reported to it via dealerships, insurance companies, police reports, etc.

It might have been damaged in transit to the dealership and repaired, that happens a lot more often than people know. 

• 3 months later...

Like others said, could have been damaged in transit, damaged when used as a demo. Dealership is not obligated to disclose unless the repair cost is over a certain amount and even that varies by state. What I have found out over the years, nothing is perfect. If it was repainted it’s still covered under the 3 year 36k B2B from in service date. Don’t worry about it and enjoy your new vehicle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That seam there always looks somewhat funky.

A few months back I was talking with a retired guy who worked on building these vehicles, he said the tailgates on the 2015-2020 models had MANY issues with this seam and at the factory had many discarded because of an improper weld in that area.  He said that seam was one of his biggest pet peeves on this assembly line.

I don't think it's a paint imperfection, I think it's a seam/weld imperfection, as he verified.  With my black paint it is less noticeable but if you look closely it resembles your seam very similarly.