I want to love the new z71 Suburban...

But no 6.2L, no G80 in the rear, not even a solid axle. This is supposed to be the off road version???

Chevy got so close for me and then there are these two glaring issues. 

I hear you on the 6.2. 

That said, the independent rear suspension is why the G80 isn't there and instead the RPO code G86 mechanical limited slip is (standard on all trims too).  There is an eLSD on the GMCs which those are pretty sweet tech pulled from the Camaro/Corvette.  I think I'd rather take either limited slip over the G80 anyway.  LSD won't spontaneously explode.        

The switch from SRA to IRS was well known for a few years too so no surprises there.  Better ride, they lowered the load floor 5 inches, better 3rd row configuration, flat load floor, etc.   

Edited by newdude
  • Like 3

On 8/18/2020 at 5:08 PM, newdude said:

I hear you on the 6.2. 

That said, the independent rear suspension is why the G80 isn't there and instead the RPO code G86 mechanical limited slip is (standard on all trims too).  There is an eLSD on the GMCs which those are pretty sweet tech pulled from the Camaro/Corvette.  I think I'd rather take either limited slip over the G80 anyway.  LSD won't spontaneously explode.        

The switch from SRA to IRS was well known for a few years too so no surprises there.  Better ride, they lowered the load floor 5 inches, better 3rd row configuration, flat load floor, etc.   

I’m unfamiliar with this eLSD...is it similar to Toyota’s A-TRAC system?

While the cargo area may be 5” taller, I have a flat load floor in my 2012. I do have to take the 3rd row out, though.

I hear you on the 6.2. 

I read that about the lsd on all models but i am curious as to why TFL couldnt get their z71 tahoe to get both rear wheels to spin. It was kind of pathetic how the tahoe couldnt get traction on a simple obstacle.

Do we know if the Chevy's will get the Elsd? Its part of a 9k.option package for the at4 which sucks.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

While the cargo area may be 5” taller, I have a flat load floor in my 2012. I do have to take the 3rd row out, though.

Works great in my Camaro. They even have a track program you can pay to have added. Haven’t gone that far with mine

Ryan B.

9 hours ago, Chebby said:

Should be similar to the Camaro and Corvette one, but not sure on how adjustable it is.  

The limited slip rear end on the new Z71 Tahoe does not look very impressive... (if the link doesn't work, play it at 6:35)

I mean... ugh. That's not a very crazy obstacle they're trying to clear there. [emoji2359] 

Yup, thats the video I was talking about in my comment above. Not sure whats going on but definitely did not lock up.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/30/2020 at 2:13 AM, Colossus said:

GM figures that most folks that drive Suburbans don't do heavy duty off roading with them. 

Yeah, that’s fine. It just makes the marketing confusing. This is supposed to be the tough off-road version. But nope. 

• Like 1

On 9/7/2020 at 6:36 AM, Chebby said:

Yeah, that’s fine. It just makes the marketing confusing. This is supposed to be the tough off-road version. But nope. 

I think Z71 has recently been the "slightly tougher than the non-Z71" version. They add skid plates, a different grill insert and/or bumper, some badging, and slightly stiffer shocks or something. It's not *really* going to compete offroad with things like a Jeep or a Bronco. But it's a 3-ton 18 foot long SUV. It's not a rock crawler. Even the Z71 version is basically just telling people "Look, if you go camping, this can probably go through a dirt road that's got some mud and/or holes in it, provided they're not too bad." 

• 2 weeks later...

I had just seen a z71 Tahoe bombing up the highway near Toronto, not too many of these here yet and absolutely no suburbans or xl or esv yet. But with the Z71 and probably others I noticed the rear control arms down near the wheel and they were low. Even the Expedition does not hang that low. I am not sure the airbags are going to raise this but i would be concerned.

I think we can all agree it is not intended to be a serious off road vehicle but a rear locking diff, vented front seats and a 6.2 would go a long way to please a lot of people. After all it is a “Z71”. It should come with something more than a badge. I just sold my 2017 Z71 suburban and i didnt rock crawl it but it did get used in 4wd in the mountains. Worked great to road trip there and then to get to more remote places. The Z71 trim deserves better.