Any updates to GM researching on how to improve the towing capability of the 3.0L Duramax??

All the under hood reflective material near the after treatment has to be upgraded. Also likely would need either 3.42, or 3.73 gears.

As it is now the exhaust brake doesn't make enough back pressure at current GCWR to be super helpful. Likely would need upgraded exhaust valve springs.

It will likely come with the 2022 refresh which is getting the Tahoe interior, and GM's all-new Global B electrical architecture.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, topgear1224 said:

All the under hood reflective material near the after treatment has to be upgraded. Also likely would need either 3.42, or 3.73 gears.

As it is now the exhaust brake doesn't make enough back pressure at current GCWR to be super helpful. Likely would need upgraded exhaust valve springs.

It will likely come with the 2022 refresh which is getting the Tahoe interior, and GM's all-new Global B electrical architecture.

Thanks for the info.....Sounds like I might have to hold out for 2022...lol

There must be a reason why there is no 'official' public info about the 2021's yet,

It's past the usual production change-over date. 

The 2021 full size suv's have gm website info and are showing up at dealers.

The 2021 canyon/colorado info is on the gm websites.

There are few (2020) 1500 pickups at dealers. If 2020's were still being built, they'd still be showing up.  Dealers in this area are very short on supply.

I think the 2021's are embargoed, and info about them is embargoed, and journalist reviews about them are embargoed -- so that they can have pickups (multiple trims, multiple powertrains, multiple cab/box versions) positioned for all 5000+/- dealers in N.A. to have vehicles to show soon after the info is released. 

Interior refresh 2021. 

Outside refresh 2022.

There must be a reason why there is no 'official' public info about the 2021's yet,

There are few (2020) 1500 pickups at dealers. If 2020's were still being built, they'd still be showing up.  Dealers in this area are very short on supply.

I think the 2021's are embargoed, and info about them is embargoed, and journalist reviews about them are embargoed -- so that they can have pickups (multiple trims, multiple powertrains, multiple cab/box versions) positioned for all 5000+/- dealers in N.A. to have vehicles to show soon after the info is released. 

Interior refresh 2021. 
Outside refresh 2022.

The covid production stop on a truck that was discounted up to $15k off is why the supply is so short.

2021 building begins in September because of covid.
https://gmauthority.com/blog/2020/07/2021-silverado-1500-to-gain-three-new-editions/amp/

Wouldn't be the first time the folks a gmauthority misinterpreted information that they uncovered. 

Maybe that's the reveal date, when they magically show up at all the dealers....

Yes, all this is just speculation on my part.

(We gotta do something for entertainment, since GM isn't releasing any info...)

On 8/19/2020 at 10:59 AM, beauso79 said:

Thanks for the info.....Sounds like I might have to hold out for 2022...lol

What are you trying to tow that the 9k rating is limiting you?  You'll run out of payload before you exceed your tow rating.

11 hours ago, redwngr said:

Interior refresh 2021. 

Outside refresh 2022.

They've already announced no interior refresh for 21'.  It will be 22' for a facelift and interior refresh.

• Like 1

Wouldn't be the first time the folks a gmauthority misinterpreted information that they uncovered. 

Maybe that's the reveal date, when they magically show up at all the dealers....

Yes, all this is just speculation on my part.
(We gotta do something for entertainment, since GM isn't releasing any info...)

Already spoken with insiders, no refresh for 2021.

• 2 weeks later...

Keep in mind GM is ultra conservative trailer waiting and has pushed for an industry standard with no luck.  The ratings are established based up the capability of a 7% grade on I70 called Ike Gauntlet.  Look it up.  Not saying you should exceed the Published recommendations, but be informed how they are established.

I’m wondering at what point do profits of a beefed up 1500 compare to those of a 2500/3500. If the profit margins on a 1/2 higher than that of a 3/4 ton I could see wanting to squeeze out more towing capacity for other than marketing purposes. But if a 3/4 ton profit margins are greater than a 1/2 ton then the more capacity these executives, I mean engineers ?, give the the 1/2 the more likely they eat into the need for and sales of the 3/4 ton. Very interesting dynamic from a business operations standpoint. 

Edited by Duramax3oh