Catch can anybody running one on the new HD

New to the forum but long time GM truck owner.  I have a 2020 Silverado 3500 with the 6.6 gas.  This is my first DI engine and wanted some input on what if any catch cans are available for this engine.  Thanks in advance and sorry if I have posted this in the wrong spot.  
Tim

I am not sure you would even need one on these modern DI engines, the crankcase ventilation system has oil separators built right into the valve covers. If someone did rig up a catch can on a new 6.6L L8T, it would be very interesting to see if any oil ended up in it.   

13 hours ago, 2020_3500HD said:

If the covers are similar to the other LT motors I have seen lots of guys still catch oil in their cans.  I agree if their is something different with the L8T motor it would be interesting to see.  

I would assume the valve covers are same or slight iterations of Ecotec3 blocks.  They are good and help tremendously along with the cornucopia of Plenum on in Air Intake side.  You know the crazy black contraption that dang nears spans the whole engine bay now?  At least the L83,L84 & L86,L878 did.  Not sure about the L8T.  I have owned previous GDI's and have had issues mostly relating to PCV.  If your going to use as a Work truck and simply don't care because your going to be getting another in 4-5yrs I would simply do nothing.  If your planning on long term ownership then I would be using a "Catch Can" and maintaining a semi strict diet of BG Products along with Severe Maintenance Schedule.  

I am sure GM knew exactly what they had with the 6.0L as the other MFG'S couldn't hold a candle to it from Initial cost, lifetime cost, durability etc.  I am jealous of the engine you have and I personally don't change much from stock on my vehicles but I would be putting "Catch Can" mainly for fuel dilution. 

6 hours ago, mookdoc6 said:

I would assume the valve covers are same or slight iterations of Ecotec3 blocks.  They are good and help tremendously along with the cornucopia of Plenum on in Air Intake side.  You know the crazy black contraption that dang nears spans the whole engine bay now?  At least the L83,L84 & L86,L878 did.  Not sure about the L8T.  I have owned previous GDI's and have had issues mostly relating to PCV.  If your going to use as a Work truck and simply don't care because your going to be getting another in 4-5yrs I would simply do nothing.  If your planning on long term ownership then I would be using a "Catch Can" and maintaining a semi strict diet of BG Products along with Severe Maintenance Schedule.  

I am sure GM knew exactly what they had with the 6.0L as the other MFG'S couldn't hold a candle to it from Initial cost, lifetime cost, durability etc.  I am jealous of the engine you have and I personally don't change much from stock on my vehicles but I would be putting "Catch Can" mainly for fuel dilution. 

That is good info to know.  I had a 6.0 in my last truck it was an 09 regular cab 2500 I bought new and got my current truck to replace it.  I do keep my trucks for the long haul and plan on doing whatever I can to help with the longevity of it. Any recommendations on what can to run?  I see lots of guys running the upr on their 6.2 , up for any suggestions. Will be 1000mi here in the next few days and will be getting all the break in fluids out.

6 hours ago, 2020_3500HD said:

That is good info to know.  I had a 6.0 in my last truck it was an 09 regular cab 2500 I bought new and got my current truck to replace it.  I do keep my trucks for the long haul and plan on doing whatever I can to help with the longevity of it. Any recommendations on what can to run?  I see lots of guys running the upr on their 6.2 , up for any suggestions. Will be 1000mi here in the next few days and will be getting all the break in fluids out.

I have seen the UPR and they look decent quick connect hoses etc.  I have Elite and Zero issues 120K miles I have been consistent with 20fl year so more than a 1/2 gallon of liquid lifetime.

• 2 months later...
On 8/27/2020 at 11:34 AM, 6.6HD said:

GM built in an oil separator into the 6.6.  That can be seen on on the following video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ipZVyrh2koM

Start at minute 17:42

Now that being said, I still want to put one on and see if it catches anything.  I have an elite.  I just cant figure out where to place the hoses.  It is different from my '17 1500.

So is it still built into the valve covers?

Don't mean to jack the thread. I'm trying to find out if there's any parts for the L8T that I might be interested in putting on my truck. So far no part websites have anything listed..

Does anyone have a picture of their engine bay? wondering what the pcv system looks like, and what gm did for the brake booster. I'm not seeing the vacuum pump that's on my l86.

I know on my truck very little if any oil finds it's way through the valve covers and into the intake duct. It's the dirty side (crankcase - manifold) the pukes stuff up. 

• 2 months later...

5.3 1/2 ton owner but I can present some info.  I have 26000 miles on my 2019 old body and no catch can in that timeframe.  Just had the air box open and the intake boot off as I was cleaning up my GM cold air.  Opened the throttle plate and I found ZERO oil in the intake manifold and no oil on the throttle body.  No oil in the air box or tube either from the PCV.  Zero oil burn as well.  I see WOT almost once a day and made a couple tows with it and avoid short tripping as much as possible.

Edited by newdude

On 10/31/2020 at 5:50 PM, M1ck3y said:

So is it still built into the valve covers?

Don't mean to jack the thread. I'm trying to find out if there's any parts for the L8T that I might be interested in putting on my truck. So far no part websites have anything listed..

Does anyone have a picture of their engine bay? wondering what the pcv system looks like, and what gm did for the brake booster. I'm not seeing the vacuum pump that's on my l86.

I know on my truck very little if any oil finds it's way through the valve covers and into the intake duct. It's the dirty side (crankcase - manifold) the pukes stuff up. 

HDs don't have vacuum boost nor have they since 1999.  They are hydroboost.  The assist is provided via the power steering system and hydraulic pressure.  

2 hours ago, newdude said:

5.3 1/2 ton owner but I can present some info.  I have 26000 miles on my 2019 old body and no catch can in that timeframe.  Just had the air box open and the intake boot off as I was cleaning up my GM cold air.  Opened the throttle plate and I found ZERO oil in the intake manifold and no oil on the throttle body.  No oil in the air box or tube either from the PCV.  Zero oil burn as well.  I see WOT almost once a day and made a couple tows with it and avoid short tripping as much as possible.

If you install a catch can you will see it. My 5.3 2016 and my 2018 both halfway filled the catch can with every oil change. I do believe you didn't find any but  You will see it if you add a catch can.  I guarantee you I'm about to catch some in my newly installed catch can in my 2020 6.6l gas even though GM says they have an oil separator.  However if I'm wrong about my 6.6 I'll gladly take it off. Stay tuned 

Edited by djxn40

12 hours ago, djxn40 said:

If you install a catch can you will see it. My 5.3 2016 and my 2018 both halfway filled the catch can with every oil change. I do believe you didn't find any but  You will see it if you add a catch can.  I guarantee you I'm about to catch some in my newly installed catch can in my 2020 6.6l gas even though GM says they have an oil separator.  However if I'm wrong about my 6.6 I'll gladly take it off. Stay tuned 

Can you post some pics showing where the PCV line(s) are located on this engine?  TIA

Ah, sorry, nevermind... I see that was your pic earlier.

Edited by mrjulian416