2019 Sierra 1500 totaled today

11 hours ago, ljramsey said:

Picked our daughter up from swim practice this afternoon and while on our way home a teenage driver ran a stop sign at full speed and hit us. Thankfully my daughter and I are okay, just some cuts, bruises, airbag burn, and a lot of coughing from the airbag smoke. We will be okay in a few days. Had to climb out the back doors to get out of the truck. Needless to say, I will be getting a new GMC Sierra via insurance. Hopefully sooner than later. I loved this truck and GMC does not offer the Red Tint Coat any longer. The only thing that matters is that we are okay and the young driver is okay, She says her brakes did not work. Doesn’t matter, just glad all three of us are safe. Jesus was certainly riding with us. God is good. 

Amen.

1 hour ago, jeepincbum11 said:

Glad your all ok.   Just curious what she hit you with? 

And to the other person who posted about the texting,  i went right to that assumption myself.   Then i thought what condition was the car?   Type? etc etc.   but my gut is going with cellphone use.

Kia Optima

Glad you are all safe.  Hope the insurance company doesn't give you the run around.  If you have the vehicle "towed" to 3rd party location make sure they charge the insurance a storage fee every day ($100 or so).  It will help give them incentive to give a good value.  Also instruct who ever owns the storage location that you are the only one allowed to release the vehicle.

GMC website has Red Quartz Tintcoat is that the same color as your truck (for 2020, not sure about 21).

glad you're ok. 

there are a lot of people out there who wonder why we need trucks, why do so many have trucks, cow farts etc.

This reason right here needs to be higher on our response list. You would not have fared well in a prius. 

Edited by Belo

Most important is all people involved are okay. Vehicles can be replaced, people can't. Keep an eye on yourselves for the next few days and don't hesitate to seek medical attention if things feel weird. You both took quite an impact.

Among other things mentioned, have your insurance company subpoena her cell phone records surrounding the accident time. It could be helpful if there is any push back from her side.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ice_nyne said:

Glad you and the family are ok. And just as glad your were wearing seatbelts. I know people who actively disable their reminder chime cause wearing seatbelts is a “hassle.” SMH

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makes me think of this:

And yeah, happy to see everyone got out OK.

14 hours ago, dieselfan1 said:

Notice the cab is fairly intact. The right front absorbed it like it was designed.
GM knows what it's doing in that department.
This is the reason I don't drive cars.
Camry smash into Camry not pretty.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Belo said:

glad you're ok. 

there are a lot of people out there who wonder why we need trucks, why do so many have trucks, cow farts etc.

This reason right here needs to be higher on our response list. You would not have fared well in a prius. 

Yeah that just isn't true. Studies have shown cars as just as safe if not safer in most or many scenarios, give me a larger car in an accident over a truck any day. With the exception of a head on collision where the smaller lighter vehicle will have added forces being pushed backwards (sometimes you can't get around physics), most other scenarios a car fares better and I would rather have more scenarios covered. Given nearly the same distance from the front of the car to the driver both have plenty of room to work magic to slowdown and absorb energy, but a car riding a unibody can take that energy and transfer it around and to the back of the vehicle where a full framed truck with a separated bed doesn't have that luxury. The car is also much less likely to roll over which is one of the big killers in an accident with a higher death rate in those types of crashes, many t-boned accidents with trucks end up in a roll over which is much less likely in a lower vehicle. So no trucks aren't inherently safer, they can be for some types of crashes but that added weight also has to be stopped and again, physics come in to play when stopping more weight at an immovable object as well. On top of that, a car has a better chance of avoiding an accident all together being it can stop shorter, handle much better and in many cases accelerate faster...

Tyler 

1 hour ago, Duramax3oh said:

WOW. So thankful everyone is safe, thats so scary. 

That color is gorgeous. What a great combo against The black and grey parts. Maybe you could look for a lightly used one in same color?!

The have another red that is fairly similar, to me it should be called maroon metallic but for the 20's it is called "Cajun Red Tintcoat". edit Yeah i was looking at chevy as it looks like they carry a similar color but gmc has only "Red Quartz Tintcoat" for some reason  which look maybe a tad lighter.

Glad to see the truck did it's job and kept the passenger compartment fairly intact, personally what happened here is about the best outcome possible imo because those bad accidents that just don't do enough damage and are attempted to be fixed make a bad situation worse imo.

Edited by BIGDOGx
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, amxguy1970 said:

Yeah that just isn't true. Studies have shown cars as just as safe if not safer in most or many scenarios, give me a larger car in an accident over a truck any day. With the exception of a head on collision where the smaller lighter vehicle will have added forces being pushed backwards (sometimes you can't get around physics), most other scenarios a car fares better and I would rather have more scenarios covered. Given nearly the same distance from the front of the car to the driver both have plenty of room to work magic to slowdown and absorb energy, but a car riding a unibody can take that energy and transfer it around and to the back of the vehicle where a full framed truck with a separated bed doesn't have that luxury. The car is also much less likely to roll over which is one of the big killers in an accident with a higher death rate in those types of crashes, many t-boned accidents with trucks end up in a roll over which is much less likely in a lower vehicle. So no trucks aren't inherently safer, they can be for some types of crashes but that added weight also has to be stopped and again, physics come in to play when stopping more weight at an immovable object as well. On top of that, a car has a better chance of avoiding an accident all together being it can stop shorter, handle much better and in many cases accelerate faster...

Tyler 

2 hours ago, dieselfan1 said:

I'll take my chances

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

yep. if I'm getting sideswiped and I can choose between a yaris and silverado, I'll take my silverado.

and yes I have a degree in engineering and I do know the point you're trying to make.