Which Travel Trailer to Pick

UGADawgs

For the longest time, we've been focused on the GD 2250rk, but we recently found the WV 2427rb and really prefer this one.

They are the same length, but different weight by about 900 lbs total and 145 lb tongue.

The concern is the towing capacity of our 2019 LTZ Z71 and most likely the tongue weight limit of 960 lbs. 

We'd be towing probably 4-8 times per year in the Southeast USA mostly.

Looking for all range of opinions, thanks!

Grand Design - Imagine 2250RK

Dry Weight: 5,546 lbs

Hitch Weight: 515 lbs
Payload Capacity: 1,949 lbs
GVWR: 7,495 lbs

Winnebago - Voyage 2427RB
Dry Weight: 6,460 lbs

Hitch Weight 660 lbs

Payload Capacity 3,940 lbs

GVWR: 10,400 lbs

image.thumb.png.100f503169c97addb8ee6a5865658474.png

1 hour ago, UGADawgs said:

For the longest time, we've been focused on the GD 2250rk, but we recently found the WV 2427rb and really prefer this one.

They are the same length, but different weight by about 900 lbs total and 145 lb tongue.

The concern is the towing capacity of our 2019 LTZ Z71 and most likely the tongue weight limit of 960 lbs. 

We'd be towing probably 4-8 times per year in the Southeast USA mostly.

Looking for all range of opinions, thanks!

Grand Design - Imagine 2250RK

Dry Weight: 5,546 lbs

Hitch Weight: 515 lbs
Payload Capacity: 1,949 lbs
GVWR: 7,495 lbs

Winnebago - Voyage 2427RB
Dry Weight: 6,460 lbs

Hitch Weight 660 lbs

Payload Capacity 3,940 lbs

GVWR: 10,400 lbs

image.thumb.png.100f503169c97addb8ee6a5865658474.png

I think the grand design is your most compatible option.  Most of the time dry weight doesn't include propane or battery weight (a call to them can confirm).  When we fully loaded our camper for a week out we were 1k pounds heavier than dry.  At 10% (minimum TW percentage) you would be around 650 lbs.  Since you have to include propane, battery and options like a second AC (this is all on the tongue) I bet you'll be closer to 12-13% on the tongue.   So about 800 lbs.

800lbs behind the axle will cause you to porpoise unless you're able to use a WD hitch.  Anyway...755 remaining minus typical family of 4 (500 ish pounds) leaves your about 255 in the bed of your truck.  That will max out your GVWR and leave you with 400lbs to spare on your GCWR.

Also,  as built TW is often much different than catalog TW.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I have a 2020 TBoss LT 6.2L 10speed. I tow a 34 foot travel trailer that is 7k dry and 8,800 GVWR. I usually tow it around 8-8200k loaded. My truck handles it very very well. You will need to buy the right hitch however and personally I've found the Equalizer E4 1K/10K combo to work very nicely. On windy days I can maintain 70-75 and on perfect days I can tow 80 MPH if I want or need to. Set up your WD right and these 1/2 tons will tow just fine! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, aliveguy5 said:

I have a 2020 TBoss LT 6.2L 10speed. I tow a 34 foot travel trailer that is 7k dry and 8,800 GVWR. I usually tow it around 8-8200k loaded. My truck handles it very very well. You will need to buy the right hitch however and personally I've found the Equalizer E4 1K/10K combo to work very nicely. On windy days I can maintain 70-75 and on perfect days I can tow 80 MPH if I want or need to. Set up your WD right and these 1/2 tons will tow just fine! 

What is your max tongue & payload ?

Lower than yours... I don't have the exact numbers on Payload, tongue weight is 930. I think payload is right around 1,600. I ran the numbers once and I'm very close to the payload, tongue, and GVWR,  however once you get a good WD hitch and set it up correctly you really can't tell. I usually drive one handed. 

17 minutes ago, aliveguy5 said:

Lower than yours... I don't have the exact numbers on Payload, tongue weight is 930. I think payload is right around 1,600. I ran the numbers once and I'm very close to the payload, tongue, and GVWR,  however once you get a good WD hitch and set it up correctly you really can't tell. I usually drive one handed. 

ok, that makes me feel better. It is just two of us and we'd use a good quality WDH and probably only load clothes, firewood, maybe cooler and chairs in the truck bed. Don't plan on carrying much in the tanks, but will have a battery and propane. Assumed we have to keep more weight over the trailer axles or behind them to keep the tongue weight in check.

It would be really cool if the truck could sense real time payload and tongue weight and provide the readings in the trailer section of the infotainment system.

Just looking at the campers you have chosen, I would go with the Grand Design. We looked at that brand and the last RV show we went to, they are very well built. Much tighter tolerances and seemed like better materials than some of the others. We wound up going with a Rockwood Mini lite 2509s. I tow with a 2012 Silverado 5.3, towing package and a good WDH with built in sway. No issues so far towing in east Tennessee. It's just three of us (Me, wife, 8 year old daughter) we usually only have about 200 lbs max in the bed of the truck. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UGADawgs said:

ok, that makes me feel better. It is just two of us and we'd use a good quality WDH and probably only load clothes, firewood, maybe cooler and chairs in the truck bed. Don't plan on carrying much in the tanks, but will have a battery and propane. Assumed we have to keep more weight over the trailer axles or behind them to keep the tongue weight in check.

It would be really cool if the truck could sense real time payload and tongue weight and provide the readings in the trailer section of the infotainment system.

I have two 32lb Propane tanks and a battery on the tongue. I pack like you as well, no water when traveling just what I need to get there. Where I put the weight doesn't matter. It just tows it! 

• Like 1

Go run your truck across the CAT scale the same way you will be traveling to find out exactly how much payload you have, it's only $12 to get a weight.  This includes people, a full tank of gas, and whatever you would normally have in your bed while towing.  I was very surprised to see that my truck was very heavy at 6760lb, I ended up removing about 200lb of unnecessary weight after that day.  My truck has running boards, bed cover, and ~200lb toolbox (fullsize jack, tiedowns, and basic tools) added aftermarket. This is myself, wife, 1 year old with car seat, and a full tank of gas.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, pewterliftedz said:

Go run your truck across the CAT scale the same way you will be traveling to find out exactly how much payload you have, it's only $12 to get a weight.  This includes people, a full tank of gas, and whatever you would normally have in your bed while towing.  I was very surprised to see that my truck was very heavy at 6760lb, I ended up removing about 200lb of unnecessary weight after that day.  My truck has running boards, bed cover, and ~200lb toolbox (fullsize jack, tiedowns, and basic tools) added aftermarket. This is myself, wife, 1 year old with car seat, and a full tank of gas.

I will do that soon. I just haven't done it yet... I know I'm very close to the GVWR of the truck, however you'd never know. 

1 hour ago, aliveguy5 said:

I will do that soon. I just haven't done it yet... I know I'm very close to the GVWR of the truck, however you'd never know. 

Yah I spent some time one day on the scales adjusting my WD hitch and so that I wouldn't overload my rear axle.  It is very easy to be overweight on payload or rear axle  if you aren't careful.

• Like 1

And I'm sure you have thought of it, since you are actually asking the right questions and want to do the right thing - but the important thing is to STAY BELOW the maximums (TW, GVCR, payloads, etc) for LEGAL reasons.  Yes, our trucks can (and many do) physically tow more than the printed numbers on our doorjambs, but should you get in an accident (your fault or not), and you were found to be over the specified limits for your truck, an attorney will sue you for everything you have! 

I always get the Max Tow pkg to give me more safety (and legal) margin, use a good WD hitch and weigh the setup.  Most of us who tow often would be better off with a 2500, but we don't want to daily-drive one of them...so a little more homework on weights has to be done to keep everyone safe.  Based on the weights, I'd vote for the GD trailer as well, considering we all load MORE than we think we will!  Happy trailering!

• Like 1

On 9/1/2020 at 2:41 PM, aliveguy5 said:

Make sure the travel trailer tires are rated for that speed. 

So I downloaded this handy spreadsheet from the bloggers Keep Your Daydream and put some different numbers.

If we were to put 1000 lbs of cargo in the trailer, we'd be able to put 500 lbs of cargo in the truck plus people.

If we were to put 2000 lbs of cargo in the trailer, we'd be able to put 400 lbs  of cargo in the truck plus people.

At least that's if I didn't completely fill this out wrong. hah!

image.png.568784eaf85ccacde8ed2a7a4434d55c.png

image.png.7ba24da82ef4171232a808ab13c1b463.png

13 hours ago, kpanza said:

And I'm sure you have thought of it, since you are actually asking the right questions and want to do the right thing - but the important thing is to STAY BELOW the maximums (TW, GVCR, payloads, etc) for LEGAL reasons.  Yes, our trucks can (and many do) physically tow more than the printed numbers on our doorjambs, but should you get in an accident (your fault or not), and you were found to be over the specified limits for your truck, an attorney will sue you for everything you have! 

I always get the Max Tow pkg to give me more safety (and legal) margin, use a good WD hitch and weigh the setup.  Most of us who tow often would be better off with a 2500, but we don't want to daily-drive one of them...so a little more homework on weights has to be done to keep everyone safe.  Based on the weights, I'd vote for the GD trailer as well, considering we all load MORE than we think we will!  Happy trailering!

Nobody will sue you if overweight and the weight police will not cite you............