In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
DCengineering

20k for a 2015 Silverado?

Just was wondering if any of you all out there could lend me some advice I’m thinking about to picking up a 2015 Silverado crew cab 4x4 lt. It has about 110k miles on it and they are asking 20k, it along with around 40 other trucks all the same make and year were just retired from game and fish Texas as they got new trucks. So they were on the fleet around 4-5 years and they just recently replaced all there trucks. From the Carfax they took it in for regular maintenance, but they were throwing on about 5k miles every 1-2 months so the truck got oil changes every 1-2 months. Lmk, the trucks are all in excellent aesthetic condition just wondering if that sounds like a fair price. 

I have no idea what is happening to the truck market but I bought my 2015 in 2016 with a thousand miles on it for 19K. Yes yes, it's a WT1 with a six..and????????? 

my '15 has 1/3 of that mileage, I wonder what I could sell it for??

Either way, my truck has been great, I plan to keep it for a long time. if you think the condition of that one makes it worth the high mileage, then go for it. Truck prices keep going up.

The issue that has the most complaints is the chevy shake, so you should test drive at freeway speed to feel for vibration. But chances are its fine if they drove it that much.

2 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

I have no idea what is happening to the truck market but I bought my 2015 in 2016 with a thousand miles on it for 19K. Yes yes, it's a WT1 with a six..and????????? 

And yours is a single cab short bed, that is why. The starting price between a RCSB and a CCSB is $10,000+ at a minimum.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

And yours is a single cab short bed, that is why. The starting price between a RCSB and a CCSB is $10,000+ at a minimum.

Yes, I have seen a big price swing between the regular cab work trucks, and crew cab 'loaded' models.  Can get a new 2020 1500 for $28K with roll up windows, plastic floor mats, seat and a V6 2wd.  Add $10-20K+ for a nice 4x4 crew cab. 

I just purchased my 15 silverado, LTZ, crewcab, 4x4loaded, 105k miles, with almost all options, with all records. super clean for 22

5 hours ago, CamGTP said:

I get that. I'm struck by the price for the miles on the truck. He's going to buy a truck with a 110 K on the clock for more than I paid for a truck that was basically new. I could not justify that buy ever. The drive line doesn't know what body configuration it is in. Just say' n. Keep it real. Lord people like to throw money away. Well throw it my way. :lol:

just walk into your local chevy dealer, write down on a piece of paper, every thing you want , body style color, gear ratio, engine, driveline.   ask to talk to a salesman.  give him your search criteria and business card and tell him you want it with in 7 days.  and you'll even finance it thru the dealer if he likes. . you'll have your NEW truck for $30,000  with bells and whistles. and that's how it done.  you should be $10,000 off MSRP. why waste your time with a used Gov. truck  with 100k on it.  for $20k that's nuts. the new trucks are not flying off the lots. 

if you find one with 3.74  rear end , those are even cheaper cause it's percieved poor fuel economy

Edited by flyingfool
  • Like 2

I wouldn’t do it, I sold my 2018 Silverado this summer for $24,500. 52,000 miles. 

I got ZERO offers on the truck (was asking $26,500). Not one single legitimate offer/interest until a local dealer so it online and offered me $23,500 for it. We settled on $24,500. 

My truck was in totally mint condition...never towed, plowed, hauled anything. Babied. ALL highway mileage, religiously maintained. So to pay $20,000 on a truck with over 100,000? No thanks.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Doublebase said:

I wouldn’t do it, I sold my 2018 Silverado this summer for $24,500. 52,000 miles. 

I got ZERO offers on the truck (was asking $26,500). Not one single legitimate offer/interest until a local dealer so it online and offered me $23,500 for it. We settled on $24,500. 

My truck was in totally mint condition...never towed, plowed, hauled anything. Babied. ALL highway mileage, religiously maintained. So to pay $20,000 on a truck with over 100,000? No thanks.

Yep, shop the deal....not the truck and you might get both. 

• Like 1

On 9/3/2020 at 12:21 PM, DCengineering said:

Just was wondering if any of you all out there could lend me some advice I’m thinking about to picking up a 2015 Silverado crew cab 4x4 lt. It has about 110k miles on it and they are asking 20k, it along with around 40 other trucks all the same make and year were just retired from game and fish Texas as they got new trucks. So they were on the fleet around 4-5 years and they just recently replaced all there trucks. From the Carfax they took it in for regular maintenance, but they were throwing on about 5k miles every 1-2 months so the truck got oil changes every 1-2 months. Lmk, the trucks are all in excellent aesthetic condition just wondering if that sounds like a fair price. 

As already suggested, 110 K miles is a very used truck. I would not pay anywhere near this amount of money on a vehicle with this much wear and tear unless it was unique and/or vintage.   I've owned my '15 since Oct. 2015 and drive it daily.  My odometer just passed 46k miles.   I know this is relatively low mileage but low mileage trucks are out there for close to the same price as a higher mileage truck.  Be patient and broaden your search. Or... make an offer that would make yourself proud and be truly worth bragging about!  I don't think low to mid teens is unrealistic for this high mileage retired work truck!

• Like 1

I recently purchased a 2016 Silverado LTZ Crew Cab short box with 34,500 miles for $33,000.  Certified Used so it has the power train warranty extended until Nov. of 2022. It also has a limited new car warranty extended until May of 2021 which covers anything with the engine.  2 free oil changes also included as long as you take it to a certified gm dealer within 2 years of purchase date.

There are always good deals out there and the internet has made it so much easier to check that you are getting a fair price.  Did you put the info into the below sites....they helped me out a TON when I was looking....

I also had a trade in......2014 Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LT with 94,000 miles......got $16,500 trade in value for that....

www.kbb.com

www.carmax.com

www.carvana.com

no one's buying the trucks on the lots, dealers are hurting.  you should get $10K off all red tag trucks. between now and January is discount time.  xmas commercials last year offered $10,000 off trucks on the lots here in LA

20 hours ago, flyingfool said:

no one's buying the trucks on the lots, dealers are hurting.  you should get $10K off all red tag trucks. between now and January is discount time.  xmas commercials last year offered $10,000 off trucks on the lots here in LA

Are you kidding? Here in Ohio, all vehicles are flying off the lots. Last month when I bought my truck from the dealer he told me they have had a record month. I drove past the dealer today, all the vehicles are parked end to end to make it look full. Even all the used dealers are half empty. With interest at record low, nows the time.

maybe your right, ,everyone gets a $600 covid check every week nows its time for a new car..

, here in LA everyone wants a silverado, drove past the car lot today and there are only econo cars, vettes , sedans,   but there are a dozen used trucks on the used lot.  the new T1 design has wrinkled everyones nose at the Silverado.  i saw a guy with a brand new HD SIlverado, it was hideous!!!

could it be your right and they sold all the new trucks off the lot?  ?

Edited by flyingfool