Short bed vs standard towing

Z71RAD88

Can anyone share with me the benefits of towing with a short bed vs standard? Is it just increased stabability since the axles are spread out? Do you get a higher payload on a standard bed truck too (considering all specs are same between short and standard)? 

Yes on stability although a few more inches in wheelbase you prob won’t notice. Payload is slightly less because the truck weighs more vs short bed.

I like the look and function of the longer bed. Can fit a dirt bike with tailgate closed, etc

17 minutes ago, 2018GMC said:

Yes on stability although a few more inches in wheelbase you prob won’t notice. Payload is slightly less because the truck weighs more vs short bed.

I like the look and function of the longer bed. Can fit a dirt bike with tailgate closed, etc

Duh on the payload. Should’ve known that. I’m starting to think the extra foot would be nice to have for sure. 

This is my first standard bed truck and I love it. I can put all my fishing poles straight into the bed of the truck now and not have to angle them anymore. Loading up bikes, dog kennel, and all the other things I need for my lake house without any thought of maneuvering things here and there.   It’s unreal how much extra room you have compared to a short bed.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TNTSilverado said:

This is my first standard bed truck and I love it. I can put all my fishing poles straight into the bed of the truck now and not have to angle them anymore. Loading up bikes, dog kennel, and all the other things I need for my lake house without any thought of maneuvering things here and there.   It’s unreal how much extra room you have compared to a short bed.  

Do you mind sharing your trailering sticker? Curious about payload. 

1 minute ago, Z71RAD88 said:

Thank you for doing this. Is your truck equipped with a sun roof? 

Yes. Truck is high country and has everything except the power running boards. Didn’t want them.  I wanted the stationary boards to cut down on rock chips. 

Just now, TNTSilverado said:

Yes. Truck is high country and has everything except the power running boards. Didn’t want them.  I wanted the stationary boards to cut down on rock chips. 

Ahhh got it. I thought for some reason you had an LTZ and thought your payload looked a little low compare to other I’ve seen. No biggie. 

1 minute ago, Z71RAD88 said:

Ahhh got it. I thought for some reason you had an LTZ and thought your payload looked a little low compare to other I’ve seen. No biggie. 

Gotcha. I don’t pull a ton. The max I pull is 6k lbs with my ski boat. I use truck mostly as our family hauler and lake house get away vehicle. 
I love the truck because it is quick, rides nice, tons of room and it was $20k less than a high country Tahoe or Denali Yukon 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TNTSilverado said:

I love the truck because it is quick, rides nice, tons of room and it was $20k less than a high country Tahoe or Denali Yukon 

I put a matching canopy on my truck and call it a poor man's Suburban. ? 

12 hours ago, Z71RAD88 said:

Can anyone share with me the benefits of towing with a short bed vs standard? Is it just increased stabability since the axles are spread out? Do you get a higher payload on a standard bed truck too (considering all specs are same between short and standard)? 

If you plan to tow at the top end of your limits on either a std. or short bed then maybe a 2500/3500 is worth considering.  The only towing advantage you may have towing with a short bed is your overall length is reduced.  This could matter if you frequently rely on ferry transportation but otherwise, my vote is for standard bed.